FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Has there been a recent advance in spam-bot technology?

ocalhoun
Lately at all the forums I participate in, there has been a marked increase in the number of spam bots cluttering things up.
Has there been some recent advance in methods of OCR that allows more bots to bypass the confirmation code? Or is there just some bot that already can do it that is becoming popular?
wumingsden
ocalhoun wrote:
Lately at all the forums I participate in, there has been a marked increase in the number of spam bots cluttering things up.
Has there been some recent advance in methods of OCR that allows more bots to bypass the confirmation code? Or is there just some bot that already can do it that is becoming popular?

Without naming the program there has been a piece of software that is growing increasingly popular. It has the ability to post in any/all forums and easily bypasses every type of protection, which frankly is a bitch.
One of the people that creates this program should become a traitor, in my opinion, and create a script that makes it impossible for the software to work
Josso
Yes, there has. I wondered where the huge increase of bots had come from as well. They can bypass a lot of phpBB security features now and regually manage to get onto my forum along with others... it's getting ridiculous.

In my opinion I think it's time for a big phpBB upgrade, they need to develop something to stop all this.