FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does us taking up space take up frihost space

hsadmin
I understand that the server has different sections for our different domains, and hosting, but, can frihost run out of server space? If so, how many gigs of host does FRIHOST itself have, server 1 and 2? And, does it cost a lot of money to run the FRIHOST server?

moved by wumingsden from the web hosting support forum to the general forum.
Teddy1
There probably is a limit to how much space FriHost can handle, But what they have now must be quite alot as this web host is the best host i've come across for free, it's features are just like a professional web host which i find great. Thank you FriHost Very Happy
Daniel15
Quote:
can frihost run out of server space?

Sure, we can run out of space, as hard drives are limited Laughing Razz. However, the number of accounts per server is limited so that we don't run out of space.

Quote:
If so, how many gigs of host does FRIHOST itself have, server 1 and 2?

Server 1 has 80 GB of space, and I'm not sure about server 2.

Quote:
And, does it cost a lot of money to run the FRIHOST server?

Yeah, I think so Wink. Not really sure, though (Bondings pays for everything)
hsadmin
Only 80 gigs? That's smaller than my computer harddrive space.

Does anyone know if it's run on a windows server ( straight from a computer )?
Blaster
its run on linux on a server. Its located somewhere in the United states. And 80 gigs is a good amount of space.
alkady
hsadmin wrote:

It must be a super fast hard drive, like a 10,000 RPM. Since Hard Drives are super cheap, a 250 GB w/ 7,200 RPM cost only $99.99 CDN here in Canada and usually servers can hold 2-4 Hard Drives depending on it's hardware Config.

Faster Hard Drives cost a hell lot more but well worth it since they are most reliant.
paakslive
From all the free hosts I have seen, Frihost is the one with the best reviews, and most recommendations. And the best feature I think is the support and THIS forum, where you can get anything from sport discussions to banners to a lazy chat. And some hosts i have been with donot have any forums, limited space, lean features almost no support and less than 70% uptime.
Frihost forever
ocalhoun
Daniel15 wrote:

Server 1 has 80 GB of space, and I'm not sure about server 2.

For all y'all saying how small 80 gigs is, that isn't necessarily the actual hard drive space; there could be RAID running, which would reduce the available space, but speed up access and improve reliability.
nilsmo
alkady wrote:
hsadmin wrote:

It must be a super fast hard drive, like a 10,000 RPM. Since Hard Drives are super cheap, a 250 GB w/ 7,200 RPM cost only $99.99 CDN here in Canada and usually servers can hold 2-4 Hard Drives depending on it's hardware Config.

Faster Hard Drives cost a hell lot more but well worth it since they are most reliant.

Right. However, there is something unclear. Looking at 10K and 7.2K RPM I see a huge gap in price (You can have 4GB per dollar for a 7.2K RPM HD, but 4GB is well over 10 dollars for a 10K RPM hard drive) but a small gap in RPM (just ~30%). Is the real reason these faster hard drives cost more is because they're more reliable?

Oh, and also going to server status in your CPanel could give you a little information on the hard drives.
Vrythramax
also you must consider that Unix/Linux utilize hdd space and available memory much more effectivly than any Windows (Intel based FAT 32) system ever could....or will.
Teddy1
Greatest free host ever!!!!!! who's with me now ? hehe
sibbahz
If RAID was running, that could be using up to 50% of the total space, making a 160gb server appear as 80gb.

80gb does seem small compared to a pc hard drive, but there is a lot of users using it, its fairly reliable and many websites are likely under 20mb in size.
Vrythramax
sibbahz wrote:
If RAID was running, that could be using up to 50% of the total space, making a 160gb server appear as 80gb.

80gb does seem small compared to a pc hard drive, but there is a lot of users using it, its fairly reliable and many websites are likely under 20mb in size.

If your morroring with RAID and have a second disk, it won't effect the usage space at all, the main drive is simply mirrored to the second drive. If I'm not mistaken it's RAID 0+1, stripping and mirroring.
Daniel15
Quote:

Yeah, 80 GB is more than enough. It's currently only 45% full (and won't get much more full, as we no longer accept accounts on server 1)

Vrythramax wrote:
If your morroring with RAID and have a second disk, it won't effect the usage space at all, the main drive is simply mirrored to the second drive. If I'm not mistaken it's RAID 0+1, stripping and mirroring.

Yeah, that's right Wink
The FriHost servers don't use RAID, I don't think...