FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Vista Software Compatibility

Tony The Tiger
How can I tell if software will be Windows Vista compatible? I am interested in buying Norton Ghost 10 and Quicken 2007, but I anticipate buying a new laptop next year. I don't want to wast $100 on software that will be obsolete if I buy a new computer.
S3nd K3ys
Tony The Tiger wrote:
How can I tell if software will be Windows Vista compatible? I am interested in buying Norton Ghost 10 and Quicken 2007, but I anticipate buying a new laptop next year. I don't want to wast $100 on software that will be obsolete if I buy a new computer.

If it's made by Microsoft, you're prolly good to go.

If not, all bets are off.

Wink
Shin
S3nd K3ys wrote:

If it's made by Microsoft, you're prolly good to go.

If not, all bets are off.

Wink

I heard that the mp3 player Zune made by Microsoft but it's not compatible with Vista. LOL..
WickedGravity
This is a complicated question to answer actually.

it isn't as if the structure of the windows programming changed, it is the way that things were organized inside the programming that makes it difficult.

Registry entries aren't done the same way, the directory structure has been altered to make it easier for the end user as well.

The reason why anything wouldn't be compliant is if it was old. Anything new will most likely be ok with Vista, you just have to go to the products web site and check.
{name here}
Tony The Tiger wrote:

With how many applications got screwed up after SP2, expect several to be inoperable in Vista.
damienberry20
give this a try for the full software compatibly list for vista rtm

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List
damienberry20
also with vista you've got to remember that anything that is 16bit will no longer work.
cheeta
well asking the software company is the best idea... just email their Pre Sales support asking the same question... !!

also apart from AVS and security suite... i have seen most of the XP based software can run on Vista platform... Smile
Tony The Tiger
damienberry20 wrote:
give this a try for the full software compatibly list for vista rtm

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List

Mysteriously, none of the 2007 version software I am seeing on sale is showing up on these lists:-?
Tony The Tiger
damienberry20 wrote:
also with vista you've got to remember that anything that is 16bit will no longer work.

How do I tell if something is 16 bit and what exactly does 16 bit mean?
lkzavr
16 bit applications are those for msdos and windows 3.11. That is how I understand it, correct me if I am wrong.
Agent ME
You shouldn't worry much about 16 bit program stuff, unless you have a bunch of 1995-era DOS games that you'll die without (but you could probably set up your computer to dual-boot, or download software ports for most of them, like DooM and Duke3d).

Most retail programs will probably work fine on Vista except for the ones that get closer to the inner-workings of the system - I'm not sure about the Ghost 10 thing for Vista - but chances are they're working to get it to work with Vista. Check the product's site.