FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Say bye bye to Processors' pins

fadirocks
Land Grid Array is replacing the pins style sockets probably for good
You'll see less and less processors using pins and will use LGA system that Intel already adopted it for some time and now AMD moving along and will use it on newer processors Very Happy

Quote:
AMD's Socket 1207 (also known as Socket F) is a so-called Land Grid Array (LGA) part. Intel has been using this type of socket on its desktop (LGA 775) and server platforms (LGA 771) for some time now, because of its reduced electrical resistance and better reliability at higher operating frequencies.

Unlike with conventional processor sockets, these processors do not have pins. Instead, pin-like connectors can be found within the processor sockets. These are used to "land" the processor on them, instead of inserting pins into the socket.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/30/brute_force_quad_cores/page5.html

so who is loving this? and who is excited that AMD moving along and dumping the pins?
otiscom
I work for an electronics manufacturer and most boards we make now use BGA (Ball Grid Array) chips for processors, video and sound chips etc.
Helios
I think it's comfy, but you gotta be careful when installing a CPU so you won't drop anything that could cause unwanted connection.
ashok
otiscom wrote:
I work for an electronics manufacturer and most boards we make now use BGA (Ball Grid Array) chips for processors, video and sound chips etc.

what's the benifit of BGA?? Rolling Eyes
Xeniczone
Quote:
what's the benifit of BGA??

As far as I know it is smaller and allows more points of connection. Where with that many pins you would have trouble fitting it to the board.