FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Always a mod online?





ocalhoun
This may be of questionable quality, but here it goes:
I notice that sometimes there are no Mods online. This is a problem because there is nobody to report bad posts to.
So, I was thinking, perhaps there could be a change made so that the member who has been with Frihost the longest will be a Mod with limited privileges if there are no real Mods online.
By limited privileges, I mean that they would only be able to lock or move topics.

Probably a crappy idea anyway, and impossible to implement...
Traveller
Since we are all volunteers who also have real lives, not all of us have the ability to be on that frequently. This is NOT a hosting service where you are paying money to expect a 24/7 presence. Even so, each of us does try handle as much as possible when we are here.

Also, don't forget. Because of abuses where some users would immediately pounce upon certain moderators as soon as they were online, many of us have chosen to remain "invisible" while we are here. Thus, sometime there are actually several moderators online, but none may actually show up on the list of users, except among the number shown as "Hidden."
The-Master
Is what you are trying to hint at that you want to be a mod Question

I get the feeling you do.
Josso
<modme>Nah, he's just trying to press a point dude</modme>
Cal_123
The-Master wrote:
Is what you are trying to hint at that you want to be a mod Question

I get the feeling you do.


That's what I thought. But wouldn't most? I would certainly like to, but it seems they aren't needed. About the Hidden Mods thing. I usually come on twice, maybe three times a day, and the Hidden Members Statistic is either 1 or 0. 'Several' Moderators I doubt. Maybe one. But is that enough?
ocalhoun
The-Master wrote:
Is what you are trying to hint at that you want to be a mod Question

No; despite my high post count, I really haven't been here that long. There would be quite a few in line ahead of me at such times.
wumingsden
If the idea was ever implemented, which I doubt it would be, then the user which has been here the longest would not automatically have a certain number of powers because the longest serving members are always not the most trustworthy. This is easily visible when looking at the time when each current member of staff joined compared to the longest serving members. It would have to be based on professtionalism, very good posting, and none/very minor incidents that the user has had - they'd also have to be recommend by other staff. This is the method that we choose new moderators that have full powers, so in my opinion if more mods are created then they may as well have full powers (and hope that the live in the GMT+5 - GMT+11 time zones [I believe this is the timezone that most members of staff are offline])
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:
This may be of questionable quality, but here it goes:
I notice that sometimes there are no Mods online. This is a problem because there is nobody to report bad posts to.
So, I was thinking, perhaps there could be a change made so that the member who has been with Frihost the longest will be a Mod with limited privileges if there are no real Mods online.
By limited privileges, I mean that they would only be able to lock or move topics.

Probably a crappy idea anyway, and impossible to implement...


bondings can create anything. Hes really good with phpbb.

Also with me i know what mods are online when usually since i've talked to most of the active mods. If there are none on i usually will send the pm to the person that will be on the soonest.

I could see what you mean with this and all but i don't know how good it would work.
jayandsilo
Blaster wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
This may be of questionable quality, but here it goes:
I notice that sometimes there are no Mods online. This is a problem because there is nobody to report bad posts to.
So, I was thinking, perhaps there could be a change made so that the member who has been with Frihost the longest will be a Mod with limited privileges if there are no real Mods online.
By limited privileges, I mean that they would only be able to lock or move topics.

Probably a crappy idea anyway, and impossible to implement...


bondings can create anything. Hes really good with phpbb.

Also with me i know what mods are online when usually since i've talked to most of the active mods. If there are none on i usually will send the pm to the person that will be on the soonest.

I could see what you mean with this and all but i don't know how good it would work.


You openly admit that you don't have a life?
reddishblue
Well there are times when the only members on have been me and some newbie with no hidden members, this actually happens quite alot, well I have been a proud Frihoster for nearly 6 months now and I like to think I am quite responsible, apart from the occasional sig problem, but maybe you find that you get an extreamly irresponsible Frihoster who has been around for some time and would get a kick out of deleting Photoshop Morpheus for some time until Bondings (our friendly Belgium alien) can bring it back.
The mods are obeying people who are trusted and handpicked members by Bondings who keep the rules up, not people who happen to be the oldest members on at a time.
So yeah this is a crappy idea:lol:
wumingsden
reddishblue wrote:
Well there are times when the only members on have been me and some newbie with no hidden members, this actually happens quite alot, well I have been a proud Frihoster for nearly 6 months now and I like to think I am quite responsible, apart from the occasional sig problem, but maybe you find that you get an extreamly irresponsible Frihoster who has been around for some time and would get a kick out of deleting Photoshop Morpheus for some time until Bondings (our friendly Belgium alien) can bring it back.
The mods are obeying people who are trusted and handpicked members by Bondings who keep the rules up, not people who happen to be the oldest members on at a time.
So yeah this is a crappy idea:lol:


Only a few Rolling Eyes

Either way, part time Mods is not an option. When new mods are needed the staff will recommend members and if all agree, they will become one. At the moment there are no plans to have more mods.

Thread left open for more discussion (even though it will not happen)
Blaster
I know this isn't any of my bussiness really but it seems your low on staff. I hav been waiting for a while now to report something and know one seems to be on. This includes msn. (most mods know my msn and i talk to them a great deal) It seems like from around 5- at least 11 pm gmt -5

Its not really the spam thing but more of people posting spam links. Thats what is causing my to write this now because of a spam post. Since there is mostly kids on here it is a big deal.

Now i'm not telling you how to do your jobs or anything. I'm quite pleased with the service here and all. Its at least better then some forums. I'm just trying to give my opion. (this is to stop all mods saying bondings will decide when we need mods)
reddishblue
The mods can only do so much, they are just like you and I and have things to attend to, there are many inactive mods, one with about -90 points, there has already been a now closed topic about this so I will not talk about this matter right now.
I think a solution to this problem would to have the mod alert box that has a topic (in suggestions) about it is a perfect idea, unfortunately most of us do not know mods outside Frihost. Introducing more mods may not be the answer, I mean who would you pick Blaster, asking for more moderators normally means (and I am not accusing you or doing this, it is merely generally it) "Pick me, Pick me!" and moderating is not all its cut out to be, a friend of mine (in real life) moderated a forum of 30,000 members and he says he always had to answer those Report Post buttons, mods have to devote their own time (and a lot of it I'm sure) to doing quite boring tasks such as creating hosting accounts and AWITs. I am not a moderator so I do not know, they may have more tasks I am not aware of behind the scenes.
But a mod deleting bot topics is not enough.
We really do need some more security to stop those things from joining.
Keran
I knew this thread will lead to questions like "Can i become a mod" or anything regarding being a mod.
Blaster
Keran wrote:
I knew this thread will lead to questions like "Can i become a mod" or anything regarding being a mod.

I'm not asking to be a mod i saying that they should think about getting more.

I don't know who i woudl pick. But bondings might have some thoughts.
wumingsden
reddishblue wrote:
The mods can only do so much, they are just like you and I and have things to attend to, there are many inactive mods, one with about -90 points, there has already been a now closed topic about this so I will not talk about this matter right now.
I think a solution to this problem would to have the mod alert box that has a topic (in suggestions) about it is a perfect idea, unfortunately most of us do not know mods outside Frihost. Introducing more mods may not be the answer, I mean who would you pick Blaster, asking for more moderators normally means (and I am not accusing you or doing this, it is merely generally it) "Pick me, Pick me!" and moderating is not all its cut out to be, a friend of mine (in real life) moderated a forum of 30,000 members and he says he always had to answer those Report Post buttons, mods have to devote their own time (and a lot of it I'm sure) to doing quite boring tasks such as creating hosting accounts and AWITs. I am not a moderator so I do not know, they may have more tasks I am not aware of behind the scenes.
But a mod deleting bot topics is not enough.
We really do need some more security to stop those things from joining.


We are trying to solve the problem Wink

In reply to all other posts:

I have a few names in mind as to who could become a Moderator. However, more mods in my opinion are not needed at the moment. Most mods are online but hidden, right now even I am Cool
Blaster
You say they are hidden but most of the time i see 1 or none. Most of the time i just talk to a mod on msn if i don't see one one.
wumingsden
Blaster wrote:
You say they are hidden but most of the time i see 1 or none. Most of the time i just talk to a mod on msn if i don't see one one.


OK, can you please stop repeating that phrase. We all know by now that you speak to a few selected mods via MSN, we get the point.

We would need more mods if spam, and other related forum issues, were not dealt with swiftly. At the moment this is not the case, therefore more mods are not needed. As mentioned earlier, I believe, a report mod will at some time be incorporated into the forum which would make the forum *hopefully* spam-free.
mathiaus
I recently decided to change my status to hidden to stop all the PM's. I didn't mind the helpful one but all the n00bs asking how long it would take to create their account etc was just really annoying.
I haven't been on MSN much for a good couple of months. Found better ways to communicate Razz

With spam, theirs usually no real urgency for it to be removed. Just wait for a mod to come online and remove it or PM someone and again, wait.
Marston
Or just pm a mod who is offline... No need to wait for someone to be online.
Blaster
mathiaus wrote:
I recently decided to change my status to hidden to stop all the PM's. I didn't mind the helpful one but all the n00bs asking how long it would take to create their account etc was just really annoying.
I haven't been on MSN much for a good couple of months. Found better ways to communicate Razz

With spam, theirs usually no real urgency for it to be removed. Just wait for a mod to come online and remove it or PM someone and again, wait.

What about these things like penis growth or look porn porn porn. Stuff like taht.
Traveller
Blaster wrote:
What about these things like penis growth or look porn porn porn. Stuff like taht.


http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-59233.html
Marston
^ lol.

I don't really think that it's practical to suggest that we find a mod who is on all the time; I can't think of anyone who is always online, and even if we found someone, they might not be qualified to be a moderator.

Realistically though, nobody is always online.
Cal_123
Some people like myself are on at least twice a day. But I have only seen about 3/4 MAJOR Spam incidents in the past month. It isn't something to panic about right now, maybe if it gets worse.
wumingsden
Cal_123 wrote:
Some people like myself are on at least twice a day. But I have only seen about 3/4 MAJOR Spam incidents in the past month. It isn't something to panic about right now, maybe if it gets worse.


In the past month Shocked

I remove up to 10 threads a day which is spam and this is just me. This shows that the mods are more than capable of moderating the forums if you only a few a month.
Blaster
Traveller wrote:
Blaster wrote:
What about these things like penis growth or look porn porn porn. Stuff like taht.


http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-59233.html

I dont' reply to them. I send a message to tidrug or someone like that. but my point is that what if there isn't a mod online to take care of it. It couild sit there for a couple of hours. I've seen it happen.
Animal
Blaster wrote:
I dont' reply to them. I send a message to tidrug or someone like that. but my point is that what if there isn't a mod online to take care of it. It couild sit there for a couple of hours. I've seen it happen.

To be fair... it's annoying to see a spam message making it onto the forum and sitting there for a while. But it's not really doing any harm. If it sits online for a while, it will be removed within a few hours in the vast majority of cases. Everyone knows it's spam and I would assume that nobody clicks the links (but whatever floats your boat, I suppose...) Seeing a message like that staying on the forum for an hour or two is certainly no big disaster.
Blaster
true maybe but if someone where to make a topic like gamers united and it have a site and its a game of strip poker with porographic images and a little 10 year old kid clicks it thinking its a gaming website or something.
LukeakaDanish
Blaster wrote:
true maybe but if someone where to make a topic like gamers united and it have a site and its a game of strip poker with porographic images and a little 10 year old kid clicks it thinking its a gaming website or something.


Dude - as far as i remember you are about 14 years old yourself - and even 10 year olds aren't stupid - if it says strip poker, they will know its not The Return of Barbie and Her Horse 7

Spam is NOT a major problem on frihost - these forums ROCK! - mainly because of a lot of good active members, and some very effective moderating.

As for everybody trying to become moderators by semi-spam posting to increment post count quickly, adding moderators to MSN, and genuinely sucking ass, - think about this:

Moderating SUCKS! Suddenly you are forced to post a lot (which, believe me, can suck hard sometimes), and respond to all the annoying 12 year old frihosters trying to get your attention with crappy questions and sucky suckuping.

- Great for the people who can be asked - me for one, I wouldn't dream of becoming a frihost moderator (even if I could) - thats just WAY to much pressure Wink
wumingsden
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Blaster wrote:
true maybe but if someone where to make a topic like gamers united and it have a site and its a game of strip poker with porographic images and a little 10 year old kid clicks it thinking its a gaming website or something.


Dude - as far as i remember you are about 14 years old yourself - and even 10 year olds aren't stupid - if it says strip poker, they will know its not The Return of Barbie and Her Horse 7

Spam is NOT a major problem on frihost - these forums ROCK! - mainly because of a lot of good active members, and some very effective moderating.

As for everybody trying to become moderators by semi-spam posting to increment post count quickly, adding moderators to MSN, and genuinely sucking ass, - think about this:

Moderating SUCKS! Suddenly you are forced to post a lot (which, believe me, can suck hard sometimes), and respond to all the annoying 12 year old frihosters trying to get your attention with crappy questions and sucky suckuping.

- Great for the people who can be asked - me for one, I wouldn't dream of becoming a frihost moderator (even if I could) - thats just WAY to much pressure Wink


I think you've just about said everything that I was about to Wink other than the fact that although spam is a problem at FriHost, it is swiftly taken care of ....

So, what about other problems, like back-seat moderating, flaming , etc ? A report post feature will be implemented in the future to deal with these problems, including spam. I think the registration process is also going to be edited to try and stop the spam bots from even registering.
LukeakaDanish
wumingsden wrote:

I think you've just about said everything that I was about to Wink other than the fact that although spam is a problem at FriHost, it is swiftly taken care of ....

So, what about other problems, like back-seat moderating, flaming , etc ? A report post feature will be implemented in the future to deal with these problems, including spam. I think the registration process is also going to be edited to try and stop the spam bots from even registering.


Sweeeet - I was pretty certain I was gonna get slammed for being to aggressive and to the point Smile

The report post is a good idea, however very hard to implement in a way that would not just mean more work for you guys.

Isn't some combination of e-mail registration and visual confirmation all that is needed to keep out teh_botz?
wumingsden
LukeakaDanish wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

I think you've just about said everything that I was about to Wink other than the fact that although spam is a problem at FriHost, it is swiftly taken care of ....

So, what about other problems, like back-seat moderating, flaming , etc ? A report post feature will be implemented in the future to deal with these problems, including spam. I think the registration process is also going to be edited to try and stop the spam bots from even registering.


Sweeeet - I was pretty certain I was gonna get slammed for being to aggressive and to the point Smile

The report post is a good idea, however very hard to implement in a way that would not just mean more work for you guys.

Isn't some combination of e-mail registration and visual confirmation all that is needed to keep out teh_botz?


It was directly to the point but it saved me from having to be Wink it was only your opinion but I have got fed up of saying that spam is not a major issue here.

Unfortunately there is software available that bypasses all features of a vanilla phpBB registration/posting process so bots/bad users can post spam.
Marston
LukeakaDanish wrote:
As for everybody trying to become moderators by semi-spam posting to increment post count quickly, adding moderators to MSN, and genuinely sucking ass

wumingsden wrote:
I think you've just about said everything that I was about to

Bondings wrote:
- Posts, avatars, signatures and usernames must not degrade, insult or disrespect other users or groups of people.
- Posts, avatars, signatures and usernames must not harass other users or groups of people.

Shocked
LukeakaDanish
Marston wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:
As for everybody trying to become moderators by semi-spam posting to increment post count quickly, adding moderators to MSN, and genuinely sucking ass
Shocked


Yes...I believe that post fits the description perfectly...Confused

Haha...no offense intended of-course...
Marston
See edit; I find it appalling that a moderator would condone such behaviour. Sad
LukeakaDanish
Marston wrote:
See edit; I find it appalling that a moderator would condone such behaviour. Sad


Well...seen as nobody actually admits to either semi-spam posting or genuinely sucking ass, I don't actually feel that I'm attacking anybody...
Marston
Well, yeah, but its pretty obvious (from the msn comment) you're talking about Blaster. IMO some of his posts are walking a pretty tight line between spam and acceptable content, but that's neither here nor there (nor am I trying to backseat moderate Razz).

I really have no problem with the fact that you posted it, nor was my post really, in any way, geared toward you. It was more expressing disbelief at the fact that a moderator would condone a personal attack on a member of the FriHost community (be it Blaster or not).
reddishblue
Well some spam topics are very harmful, I had to put a warning in giant text after a link to a site with a virus on it crashed my computer...
LukeakaDanish
Marston wrote:
Well, yeah, but its pretty obvious (from the msn comment) you're talking about Blaster. IMO some of his posts are walking a pretty tight line between spam and acceptable content, but that's neither here nor there (nor am I trying to backseat moderate Razz).

I really have no problem with the fact that you posted it, nor was my post really, in any way, geared toward you. It was more expressing disbelief at the fact that a moderator would condone a personal attack on a member of the FriHost community (be it Blaster or not).


Ok - I guess I went across the line with the MSN comment - sorry about that.
wumingsden
I obviously wouldn't have used the exact words, LukeakaDanish you however do not have to answer to other general members.

I didn't interpret your comment you mean anyone particular. I speak to a few "ordinary" members from frihost via MSN, none of the being Blaster, therefore I did not think you were speaking about anyone in particular.

Also, I would just like to add something else not mentioned in a previous post, but kind of suggested by LukeakaDanish. The spam bots only post one thread, therefore it is very easy to clean up after them (just simply removing the thread and ask for a ban can be achieved in only a few steps). However, long-term "bad" members are a different case. These bad members usually have a few incidents per month and in moderating time are much more of a problem Wink

About the following:

Quote:
- Posts, avatars, signatures and usernames must not degrade, insult or disrespect other users or groups of people.
- Posts, avatars, signatures and usernames must not harass other users or groups of people.


I interpreted LukeakaDanish's reply aimed at no one particular, just because a previous member stated that they speak to staff via MSN does not mean that he meant him, Marston. Like I repeated, I speak to a number of other people via MSN. I have concluded that the term "everybody" is meant by the people who do post semi-spam post (sometimes to try and achieve a high post count) and who do add mods to MSN (to generally be a nuisance; notice that most of the staff's emails are hidden) and people who genuinely do "suck" up to certain members.
It is of someone's opinion whether or not someone does this. If you think they are talking about someone particulatr, Marston, then it may be because you yourself have your own opinion.

ok, now, back on topic. The option that was originally suggested will not be incorportated into frihost, does anybody have any other methods that they wish to propose?
LukeakaDanish
^ I know this has been suggested however:

A PM next online MOD option - which PM's the next MOD to come online, or a random MOD who is online.

Doesn't really matter, if the report post feature is incorporated though...

- I just don't particularly like it the way it works now - because the MODS loose a lot of their "power" when users cant report anything.
Blaster
You might not see spam as a big deal. But think about it this way. a new member joins up and then sees all of this spam. Whats he going to think. Well i would think that the moderting team must suck. I've seen this before. i guess some people don't actually see how much spam i see each day here. If you get S3nd K3ys here he would probley agree with me. We browes the forum a lot. Its seen a lot. I know on forums that i moderate that we lost members due to others spamming.
Montressor
LukeakaDanish wrote:
^ I know this has been suggested however:

A PM next online MOD option - which PM's the next MOD to come online, or a random MOD who is online.

Doesn't really matter, if the report post feature is incorporated though...

- I just don't particularly like it the way it works now - because the MODS loose a lot of their "power" when users cant report anything.


I think that that suggestion is better carried out by the report feature proposed. PMing the next Mod would prove a nuisance to both moderators and people offended or otherwise displeased with spam. The report feature would essentially tell the next Mod of an incident without the possibility of personal annoyance (imagine your inbox filled with numerous PMs about 1 or 2 spam threads/posts) by making a "forum", per say, of complaints about spam for all moderators online to sort through. Perhaps the feature could include a restriction on the amount of times a post could be flagged as spam, and the ability of the person reporting to include a small description of why they feel it is spam.

As far as more moderators and the de facto oldest member thing... As said before by others, if there was the need for more moderators, they would be chosen, and furthermore, the oldest members who aren't, are more likely to have been deemed less likely candidates in the past

Personally speaking, I'm all for a more minimalistic approach to administration in this case, just enough to keep spam at tolerably low levels, and only just enough. Having more moderators increases the likelihood that a moderator will wrongly use (that's called abuse) the power and responsibility that they've been given. I say that not as an insult to current or future moderators, but as a general statement about giving more power to more people than necessary. After all "power corrupts"
-as a side note, I don't like it when people say that and don't finish the quote, and as such I shall do so here ..."and absolute power corrupts absolutely"
reddishblue
Blaster wrote:
You might not see spam as a big deal. But think about it this way. a new member joins up and then sees all of this spam. Whats he going to think. Well i would think that the moderting team must suck. I've seen this before. i guess some people don't actually see how much spam i see each day here. If you get S3nd K3ys here he would probley agree with me. We browes the forum a lot. Its seen a lot. I know on forums that i moderate that we lost members due to others spamming.


We usually have one spam topic, two max, any user thats afraid of that must not have very much experience with forums anyway, so they will most likely post many spam topics themselves, I am trying not to generalize but most new users who have never been to a forum before post a lot of spam and then never come back when the hosting request is denied.
wumingsden
OK, i really get the post above but I just quickly want to say something, which i may have done one or two (million) times before .....

lots of spam is posted on frihost by bad users/bots. they are however swiftly taken care of so members are not that affected as some people are making out to be.

these bots are easily taken care of which cannot be said for some members that have been here a long time. Also, was the original suggestion to make members with a high post count, temp mods? If so you realise that a high post count is not needed to become a mod, but the count does develop over time. Some members have higher higher postcounts than some mods so this should say something.


Again, this feature of temp. moderators will not be implemented. I will however at the moment leave this thread open.
ocalhoun
^Not post count; doing it by post count might start spam wars where the two highest post-count members try to get their count above the other's for the mod powers.
The reason I said by time is that it would be the best indicator of being worthy that I can think of that would be stored in the database.
wumingsden
ocalhoun wrote:
^Not post count; doing it by post count might start spam wars where the two highest post-count members try to get their count above the other's for the mod powers.


No change there then Rolling Eyes


ocalhoun wrote:
The reason I said by time is that it would be the best indicator of being worthy that I can think of that would be stored in the database.


By time may probably be the best indicator, post count however must be an indicator if this was ever going to happen, (which like I've repeated before, it isn't). This is because the whole idea is the temp mod('s) are given powers when all other staff are offline, so they must be a regular member of the forum.

Do you really think that this is needed though? I still cannot believe that people are actually still going on about spam. OK, so it's a problem here, there's no denying it. However, changes have to be made to stop and decrease the amount of spam posted, not the efficiency of it being cleared up.
LukeakaDanish
wumingsden wrote:

Do you really think that this is needed though? I still cannot believe that people are actually still going on about spam. OK, so it's a problem here, there's no denying it. However, changes have to be made to stop and decrease the amount of spam posted, not the efficiency of it being cleared up.



I don't think spam is a problem here at all. Low quality posts is a problem, but that is something far more complicated to discuss - and definately not the moderator teams fault.

Why don't I see spam as a problem? As I've said before, all the spam there is is deleted quickly, and for me that's all it takes. (of course its still nice to hear that effort is being put into preventing it altogether)

Should Blaster know better than an entire community?

Dude, let me give you some statistics:

Blaster: 3941 posts
Mod's, admin's and Bondings: At least 20000 posts
Community: 470482 posts

You have less than 1% of the total posts on frihost. And frihost has lots of customers. Lots of happy customers who don't really feel annoyed by the spamming - otherwise there simply wouldn't be 470482 posts.


If you see a lot of spam, report it a lot.
If you see a load of low quality posts, try to add something to the conversation with the low quality posts.


Sorry for talking about spamming (although wumingsden said not to) - but the discussion is here - and I'm not one to pull out Smile



As for the original idea: - I'm not sure whether being frihost-older makes you more trustworthy. The mod team is doing a good job (in my opinion), and if they really need more moderators, I'm sure we will hear of it. (and I'm sure their tired hearing us talk about it)


Disclaimer: I don't want to become a moderator myself. Moderating is lame.
wumingsden
haha, i definitly agree with the end statement Wink

I didn't mean don't talk about it, by the way. i just meant i cannot believe it's still being addressed. it's as if there's loads of spam threads in the forums, although there isn't (i've just checked). i think that fi you can prove that a spam thread hasn't been removed in, let's say 1 hour, then you have a point. If not though then there is no need to focus on spam issues. other issues however may want to be addressed, not too sure what though.
Blaster
Both me and K3ys have mod backrounds. So don't say that we wouldn't fit. I mod a forum that curently has about 100 to 150 posts a day. It might not be as many as frihost but its a big amount still. I'm also moding one that just started that its pretty much just me moding it right now. I know how bad spam can be. I have been getting complaints a lot from there. I've seen a lot of people leave due to such a thing. Its hurtful for a bussiness to loose people.

I really dont' like people saying i can't be mod of a forum. For all those who say that then talk to the admins at these forums. tidruG knows that i mod at least 3 (and yes that is webhosts btw) so i'm surely capable of doing it.

I also dont' like that your post count affects you. Have you ever stoped to think that maybe bondings needs non mods to post a lot to keep the forum active. Well i have. Think about it this way. Me and K3ys are almost always in 100 points. We keep the forums active. Yea you might have people still posting and all but there would be less of it.

Anyhow more back on topic. I think that there should be someone that can just move spam topics. It would give them the power only to lock and move topics. Nothing else really. And like i said before, me and K3ys both have the experience and the attitude to do something like this. (i'm not saying i want to do it or anything its just that i'm putting out there that we both are amazingly capable of it so don't say that we arnt)
wumingsden
Blaster wrote:
Both me and K3ys have mod backrounds. So don't say that we wouldn't fit. I mod a forum that curently has about 100 to 150 posts a day. It might not be as many as frihost but its a big amount still. I'm also moding one that just started that its pretty much just me moding it right now. I know how bad spam can be. I have been getting complaints a lot from there. I've seen a lot of people leave due to such a thing. Its hurtful for a bussiness to loose people.

I really dont' like people saying i can't be mod of a forum. For all those who say that then talk to the admins at these forums. tidruG knows that i mod at least 3 (and yes that is webhosts btw) so i'm surely capable of doing it.

I also dont' like that your post count affects you. Have you ever stoped to think that maybe bondings needs non mods to post a lot to keep the forum active. Well i have. Think about it this way. Me and K3ys are almost always in 100 points. We keep the forums active. Yea you might have people still posting and all but there would be less of it.

Anyhow more back on topic. I think that there should be someone that can just move spam topics. It would give them the power only to lock and move topics. Nothing else really. And like i said before, me and K3ys both have the experience and the attitude to do something like this. (i'm not saying i want to do it or anything its just that i'm putting out there that we both are amazingly capable of it so don't say that we arnt)


I don't think nobody has said yet that you aren't capable. I however would not be supporting either of you, simply because there is a reason why you haven't both already become mods, and that is because your both not suitable to become one here, which doesn't mean your incapable of doing such dire tasks that involve removing stuff.

it really isn't what it's cracked up to be, especially nowadays Rolling Eyes
reddishblue
A good point, to tell you the truth I would, at times do anything to close a spam topic while no mods are on, a good idea may be to give users the power to send topics to an invisible forum where things can quickly be brought back, perhaps we should have an application on our account page to have the ability to be become temporary mods, that way people who are trustworthy can gain the ability in the cases of no mods, please do not respond to this post saying how difficult it would be to code, I know its hard to do.

Anyway as I said before, to me, as much as I hate it, I honestly think that if you leave because of a tiny amount of spam, you probably will post your own spam if you join, no experience with forums=no idea what to do=posting lots of "yeah I agree"=Banned.
LukeakaDanish
wumingsden wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Both me and K3ys have mod backrounds. So don't say that we wouldn't fit. I mod a forum that curently has about 100 to 150 posts a day. It might not be as many as frihost but its a big amount still. I'm also moding one that just started that its pretty much just me moding it right now. I know how bad spam can be. I have been getting complaints a lot from there. I've seen a lot of people leave due to such a thing. Its hurtful for a bussiness to loose people.

I really dont' like people saying i can't be mod of a forum. For all those who say that then talk to the admins at these forums. tidruG knows that i mod at least 3 (and yes that is webhosts btw) so i'm surely capable of doing it.

I also dont' like that your post count affects you. Have you ever stoped to think that maybe bondings needs non mods to post a lot to keep the forum active. Well i have. Think about it this way. Me and K3ys are almost always in 100 points. We keep the forums active. Yea you might have people still posting and all but there would be less of it.

Anyhow more back on topic. I think that there should be someone that can just move spam topics. It would give them the power only to lock and move topics. Nothing else really. And like i said before, me and K3ys both have the experience and the attitude to do something like this. (i'm not saying i want to do it or anything its just that i'm putting out there that we both are amazingly capable of it so don't say that we arnt)


I don't think nobody has said yet that you aren't capable. I however would not be supporting either of you, simply because there is a reason why you haven't both already become mods, and that is because your both not suitable to become one here, which doesn't mean your incapable of doing such dire tasks that involve removing stuff.

it really isn't what it's cracked up to be, especially nowadays Rolling Eyes


PWND.

Let me repeat myself: You have less than 1% of the posts on this forum...based on that I daresay Bondings isn't too bothered about you. And if you weren't there, there would only be 1% less posts - I'm sure the forums wouldn't suffer the slightest.

Secondly, having 100 points is not necessarily cool - you have repeatedly been accused of posting low quality posts, and the last thing Bondings needs is that.

Thirdly, dealing spam ISN'T A PROBLEM at the moment on frihost - it gets deleted quickly and effectively. - and trust me: no one is bothered about seeing a little spam if it means they get free quality hosting. No one.

I don't think you are "incapable" of modding (well...it isn't the most daunting task ever), but I think you should stop acting as though your high post count (which the mods have already said doesn't matter) makes you better than everybody else. Also...we don't care whether you know tidruG...seriously...we don't care. Also, I think you should start thinking more about your posting - although your no noob, your posts do often tend to add little or no value to the conversation (almost all one liners), and is there really a point in posting > 30 posts per day?

I really, truthfully, think you are OK - I just wish you wouldn't act as though your post count made you "god".
Ghost Rider103
Sounds like a good idea to me. Just have a private forum for only the staff. And if there is no mod on, then a sub fills in for the remaing time, if he spots a bad post that contains some very bad content, he can move it to the staff area for the real mods/admins to review to make sure no good post get deleted, or edited to be bad.
wumingsden
OK, This thread is getting a little out of hand.

Most members who posted think that it is a good idea, however, it will not be implemented.

I have decided to -close- this thread.

The last point I'd like to make which I have already done before is the following:

*Spam is not a major issue at FriHost
*The Staff are more than capable of removing spam at the moment.
*If more moderators are needed then the staff will discuss it in private.
*The staff member will be asked whether they are interested in becoming a mod, if they accept then they will become one.
*Post Count, Points, Frih$, the longest serving members, etc, will not automatically make you a possible candidate. A number a factors are considered, but having quality posts and no warnings is a must Wink
*At the time of this post there is no discussion about any new moderators
*The idea of temp. mods will not be implemented.
Related topics
Runescape - OFFICIAL THREAD
Internet Addiction Test
Free Online Games (Do not make more new threads about this)
What games you play online??
Merry Xmas to all
Call of Duty
Signatures
Language moderators...doubts
Nice to meet you all - call me Sapper
Programming
Dog With College Degree Called to Court
PCI-E graphics card
Keroro Gunso/Sgt. Frog
What happend to US Mail?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.