FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any writers here?

Bucaragay
I'm in the middle of the writing of my first novel (in spanish). I've found all the problems a newbie can find during the process but I am fascinated how everything is being pulled together. Specially by the state of mind you are while you're writing. It's like you were thinking about everything and nothing at the same time.

Are there some fellow writers here? Let's share some experiences
S3nd K3ys
My writing gets sporatic real fast. I guess it's ADD.

I always jump around, or skip things, or keep putting things out of order in one way or another.

Crying or Very sad
missdixy
Yes! I'm a writer. Love writing stream of conscious type of literature and poetry. I also speak spanish Smile
TurtleShell
I write too. Actually, I'm more of a painter than a writer, but writing is something I can do on the commute to work in the morning and painting isn't, so it just works out. anyway, I'm always surprised by the way that the plot will come together when I'm working on a new story. Occasionally I feel like I'm not making it up, I'm just discovering what's already there. Sometimes, the plot goes a different direction than I think it should go...or I get this idea that something should happen and I don't know why...and when I think about it enough, I realize it makes perfect sense. Like it was the only thing that could have happened at all. It's fun...like a game...I just stare at the words enough and they make their own story.
rightclickscott
I've never written anything I've liked. I've written stories, scripts, poems somewhat, and I haven't liked one damn thing. It was just something I have with my work. I can never like anything I do. I got into webcomics because I enjoyed seeing my writing come to life, and I'll probably keep writing comics for a long time, until I start making money off of novels I've actually finished and actually liked.
deStructuralized
I write every once in a while...primarily poetic material, I'm not very good with prose.

I haven't written in a long time, though, because I've been busy.l
ratface
i tried writting, though i always get boged down, i cant convey my thoughts through words it seems.

I feel as if the writing isnt descriptive enough
Victus13
I write, and I love to-do so. I dropped out of school early, and am Just now going back. It's hard to bring myself to write after studying different literary devices.. and I start really thinking too much about sentence structure, and not if it's nice to read.
TurtleShell
I too struggle with sentence structure. I spend a lot of time trying to decide if what I'm writing is nice to read, or if it's just readable. Unfortunately, I think that developing one's craft with words is what makes the difference between writing that is mediocre and writing that's actually good. I lack the ability to hone my abilities in this way...I spend hours writing, but sometimes I feel like I'm not getting better, I'm just generating more of the same.
Weslyn
I miss writing.

The usual 'haven't had the time' line applies here. I want desperately to get back to it. Unfortunately, I'm picky - the setting needs to be right, I need to be comfortable, pen in hand, cushion behind me, and an album on. Oh, and a glass of red wine and berry juice, but lately it's been cherry coke and vanillla vodka. Well, lately as in the last time I've written.

Sometimes it takes me nearly an hour to find myself fully comfortable. I guess it's 1 part procrastination, and 2 parts stamina - cause when I finally do get down to writting, I keep at it for at least 3 hours, but my usual is 5 or 6... or until I'm reminded to eat, or am otherwise interrupted.

Does anyone else get this way? I think everyone has their own little quirks about writing. I know sometimes an idea just strikes me and I jot it down - doesn't matter where or how - I've been known to write on my arm.

All right, I'm done babbling for now.
rightclickscott
Actually, Weslyn, that's not uncommon. However, I don't need a perfect environment to write. Most of the time, I'm sitting in a crowd of people like in a park or restaurant, writing in a notebook, and then rewriting and editing whatever I wrote down on my computer. This has really, though screwed up several of the things I've written, in the sense that I will, most of the time, neglect some piece of a writing I really want to finish to do something else. It doesn't help my writing, not one bit, but I usually get some really good ideas from friends, and even write stories with them. Privacy and setting are not factors for me, and if you can get over the idea of writing in a private place, then your writing will most likely become really good.
Weslyn
rightclickscott wrote:
Privacy and setting are not factors for me, and if you can get over the idea of writing in a private place, then your writing will most likely become really good.

You think so? Ha ha, maybe I should explain how distracted I can get. People talking in the next room talking will bother me ... till I'm absorbed, that is. Once I'm into writing you could be standing right next to me talking, and I won't hear a word. So to start seriously writing, (and not just jotting down random story notes), I need a good setting. To each his own, but I'll try and take it into consideration - I figure if I loosen up a bit, I'll prolly end up being more productive.

Doesn't make sense, really... You'd reckon that since I really want to write I would just sit down and do it instead of putting it off. It's not so much writer's block as ... writer's fear. Can't say what of ... just a lack of confindence.

(rolls eyes)

I really should get back to writing!
rightclickscott
People get that a lot too. I have it so many time, but mostly because I fear I'll hate what I finish. But I always hate everything I write anyways. I don't know, it's rather strange.
Margalo
Whenever I actually try to write something I find my mind unfolding every inch of the plot into what would be a billion page series. Then my mind makes it so complicated I can't actually get anything down on paper. Anyone have this problem?
RoughitforGreen247
I like to write, too. For some reason I find that I write my best very late at night. I wish it wasn't that way, because I always have to get up pretty early on weekdays. I'll get through a wall in the plot and just write from midnight to 2am or so. I hate that I don't really write very often, I can't even claim not to have the time. I just get out of school and do HW for a 3 or 4 hours and am just in no mental shape to just start writing. Its only ever on vacations that I get real writing done. I seem to fade into HST, lol, but it really helps.
jyrevi
I'm currently writing a novel! Very Happy
..but I'm not sure if I'd be able to finish it. I'm off to go to a university soon, so I'd probably be a bit busy. Besides, the course I'm taking wouldn't be related to writing novels, though I'm planning to shift to journalism. Anyway, it feels so good that there are fellow writers here. Cool
RallyMonkey
I like to consider myself a writer.

Though, I write screenplays.
Bluedoll
I like writing and find it amazing when it happens. The thing for me is to just let it happen, even if I will never be a great writer, I will always love the act of writing. Writing something that is readable though is a lot of work. Its interesting how many times something can be rewritten but then even in the toil, writing is so rewarding. It is only during the time when not writing is there that thought about what it would be like to write about something.
ddukki
S3nd K3ys wrote:
My writing gets sporatic real fast. I guess it's ADD.

I always jump around, or skip things, or keep putting things out of order in one way or another.

Crying or Very sad

That happens with anything I write. I don't think it's ADD, but just that the focus gets away from the point. Sometimes I don't even have a point to start with.
Divinaeon
Yep, I write. My writing process is as follows:

1. Get ALL thoughts down on paper. I don't worry about correct use of language, organization, or anything. I just write, write, write. This is a good practice because all of your thoughts get put down onto paper before they escape. I think we've all had moments where we're writing one thing down and you think of something you want to add later on in the draft, but you can't remember it once you get to that specific part.

2. Edit and organize. This is the part where the organization and detail starts to manifest itself. However...it may still induce a sporatic free-flowing session again. New ideas still need to be put to paper! Edit and organize again if this happens.

3. Revise, rearrange, insert clever foreshadowing and symbolism.

4. Have a friend read it and offer suggestions. Revise again.

5. Revise.

6. Revise.

7. Revise.

It's important to keep all your drafts and compare them all in the end. You may want to change something back...Thus completes my writing process. I feel like I've just written a How-To Manual. This is just what works for me Smile.
Fright Knight
Bucaragay wrote:
I'm in the middle of the writing of my first novel (in spanish). I've found all the problems a newbie can find during the process but I am fascinated how everything is being pulled together. Specially by the state of mind you are while you're writing. It's like you were thinking about everything and nothing at the same time.

Are there some fellow writers here? Let's share some experiences

I wrote my first novel back in april 2005. I thought I was doing great but yeah there are PROBLEMS A NEWBIE CAN FIND. I believe that my story was sometimes too detailed and sometimes too general. Its not consistent when it comes to details. I let my friends read it and they said tht it was great but I was not contented. I feel that something else was missing. I believe that I still have to revised that novel and put more life on it. Well you know what happened? I ended up deleting that novel. But I'm starting to write another novel right now. Well its still the same style. Adventure, Fantasy, and Terror type. I don't know but I like those themes. But this time, I'm going to make sure that I fill all the parts word by word with life that only I, the writer can give. I hope telling my experience will be useful. Thanks for this thread.

P.S.

Share me your experience some time. I'll be glad to hear from you. Don't give up just like what I did. There is always a room for improvement. Too bad that I realized it too late.

Peace.
sondosia
I write mostly poetry and short stories (and the occasional essay), but next November I'm planning on participating in NaNoWriMo and actually writing a novel. Wish me luck. Very Happy

~M~
Fright Knight
sondosia wrote:
I write mostly poetry and short stories (and the occasional essay), but next November I'm planning on participating in NaNoWriMo and actually writing a novel. Wish me luck. Very Happy

~M~

Good luck! Writing novel is a very hard thing to do. But don't give up! we all have our dreams and If this is your dream, you must do your best. I wish you all the best!
Captain Fertile
Yes I was a frustrated writer. I no longer do it though, I prefer to be reading more than writing these days.

I still feel I have a good story inside me but it is one dream I guess I am letting slip a little more as each day goes by.

Maybe in the next life...
Octaeder
I'm currently writing my first novel... I've not got particularly far in the process of the actual writing to be honest, but the developing of the plot has gone on for a while and become quite complex. I find that I'm a bit to much of a perfectionist in what I write down, often re-editing paragraphs endlessly before coming up with something I'm happy with.

Even the short story I wrote before starting took a few months and a complete rewrite...

BTW, if you want to check out my short story it's here. Feedback would be much welcomed!