FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where to put our money?

mystraits
Nowadays, the inflation rate is getting higher. The interest rate almost can not compete with the inflation rate. So, in what form you think we should keep our money in? Shares, Unit trust, Gold or others?
badai
food. keep in underground fortress like in blast from the past movie.
bogger
Ya know, storing money means that's devaluing, end of story, nothing you can do about it

I would reccomend investing it

If you don't wanna take risks, go for a blue chip company, like a bank, that's the safest bet, but of course, it's up to you
dooble.doodles
Gold and precious metals have not always been good investments in the long term. Putting you money in the bank will most likely loose to inflation after taxes. A proper mixture of bonds, stocks, and real estate is a proper place to invest.

Inflation eats away at money that is not working hard for you.

Boy... I need to start listening to myself!!!
wlb
Only speculate in the stock of interest only.
Currently in our side is primarily for investment, such as real estate, and commerce. The general revenue fund has bought.
Most people are ordinary wage-earners, and they do not have much money, are usually deposited in a bank, can also serve as a safe
tyrant
If you live in Singapore, i say invest in property. I assure you your money will be safe.
bogger
no, you don't "assure" him, because then you'd be liable if it went down the drain. You advise it, and hope for god it doesn't fail, because you've given unsolicited advice Razz

One could always buy Dollars hoping they'll rebound, or Chinese yuan, hoping they'll keep on rising
silverdown
I only have a bank to cash my check, they only require me to keep in $5 so i had $5 every month to keep it active and take out $5 when i need it. I lock my money in a place you can't know ! Laughing Very Happy Laughing
Coclus
Gold! I think gold is a good way to make money with your investments...
scrub
I'm coming from a perspective of expecting the collapse of civilization within approximately 10 years, so take this for what its worth for your life path:

Invest in:

#1 Yourself, perhaps taking classes on becoming more self-reliant, or giving yourself an early retirement from work so you can heal from the damage civilization has done to you, or use your retirement to get your hands dirty growing food etc.

#2 Land from which you can support yourself after the regular support systems of civilization begin to fail.

#3 Quality tools

#4 Books that are high quality reference material for advanced knowledge of growing food, animal identification and tracking, foraging and other primitivist skills, building shelters, animal husbandry, etc.

If you need, short-term, to invest in something with a monetary payoff, I think gold is your safest bet. All the other normal investment categories will have their bubble pop as peak oil hits. An economy based on constant growth requires a constant increase in the supply of energy. The recent state of more and more cheap fossil fuels available each year is beginning to transition to a post-industrial situation in which we have less and less energy available to us each year. That throws all investments into chaos. Gold will probably spike in value, allowing you to leverage it to invest in numbers 1 through 4 above.

Good luck!
Scrub
roxys_art
I personally put about $200 away per month (sometimes more than that). It kind of varies on how many expenses come up during the month. However, I do not use local banks because they cannot compete with the APY that alot of these online banks are offering. I know for a fact that other online banks have a higher APY, but I use ING Direct. No fees for joining, transactions have always posted for me within 2 days of the request (either depositing into the Savings or taking out of the Savings account), and if I have ever had a problem, their customer service has always been excellent. I highly recommend ING Direct to anyone who is tired of local banks charging you for every little thing they can.
whatinstorm
i put my money under my bed its jyste me no wehere is my money and this place i really safe because to informatiic pirating or a hold up
LumberJack
A sock! Very Happy
fbcompany
i put my money into crack and alcohol. die young and poor!
nepheus
I 'll put it into my pocket because i have not much money. My mother put it to her Bank Card and many people do like this.
dbhai
Property ( real Estate) is the best place to invest cause the population will grow and there will be sacarcity of land so it is always beneficial to invest in property.
the-guide
I have a little knowledge and weak background about investing, so it's good for me to put it to my bank accounts. that's minimal risk.
ThePolemistis
dbhai wrote:
Property ( real Estate) is the best place to invest cause the population will grow and there will be sacarcity of land so it is always beneficial to invest in property.

If a war comes knocking on your door,, then ur in trouble.

Best thing to invest is in OIL$$$... oil prices r likely to rise with more wars, and more wars are imminent.
perhaps what can slow it down is alternative fuels (inclduing utilising other types of oil e.g. in Canada and Australia)... but i think oil will reach slight more than $100 before that happens.
So go for oil companies like Shell and BP.

Personally, I wouldn't invest in these companies tho. But that is under moral grounds as I don't have a favourable view when it comes to oil companies.
Cddhesh
I would like to suggest you with my opinion,i.e what i have done with my money.I took land in many different areas.Some i gave to farmers for plantation.They themselves became loyal to me.They got income source.And now i m one of the famous person in my area.People told me to stand for the election.You can invest in gold also but there is danger of robbery.
TomGrey
Real estate but only in areas where there is economic growth AND the prices are not already "too high".

I thought Silicon Valley prices were too high in 2001, but they've kept going up until last year; a little bit of a special case. LA is better -- most places going up, some already too high.

Best growth is where gays are moving in and "gentrifying" a low-cost neighborhood. It's not so great, it's lower cost ... more upside potential.

Also consider overseas, but more cash is needed.

A house in Sofia, Bulgaria, should be available cheap, now -- and very likely to double within 3-5 years since Bulgaria has joined the EU.

That's what happened here in Bratislava, Slovakia.
tony
badai wrote:
food. keep in underground fortress like in blast from the past movie.

HAHA - yes the fortress does provide the best interest !
TomGrey
Emergency food & survival equipment is prudent.

"Food" in general is silly. So far.
Satori
Coclus wrote:

This is really bad advice. Gold has, historically, had lots of ups and downs, but has actually remained at almost a constant average for years. I read in an investment newsletter that an investment in gold 100 years ago would have yielded almost nothing. Compare that to the same amount of money invested in stocks 100 years ago, which would have yielded exponentially more than the original investment.

If you're looking to invest, make it a point to study up on investing in the stock market. Smart investments in stocks will likely yield a much greater amount in the long run than investments in gold. There will also be much less risk involved (proportional to how much you actually study up on whatever companies you're looking to invest in before you actually invest.)
tom722
Gold and precious metals have not always been good investments in the long term. Putting you money in the bank will most likely loose to inflation after taxes. A proper mixture of bonds, stocks, and real estate is a proper place to invest. Inflation eats away at money that is not working hard for you.
tom722
Yourself, perhaps taking classes on becoming more self-reliant, or giving yourself an early retirement from work so you can heal from the damage civilization has done to you, or use your retirement to get your hands dirty growing food etc.
LumberJack
Satori wrote:
Coclus wrote:

This is really bad advice. Gold has, historically, had lots of ups and downs, but has actually remained at almost a constant average for years. I read in an investment newsletter that an investment in gold 100 years ago would have yielded almost nothing. Compare that to the same amount of money invested in stocks 100 years ago, which would have yielded exponentially more than the original investment.

If you're looking to invest, make it a point to study up on investing in the stock market. Smart investments in stocks will likely yield a much greater amount in the long run than investments in gold. There will also be much less risk involved (proportional to how much you actually study up on whatever companies you're looking to invest in before you actually invest.)

Gold has been attractive over the past few months due to the American economic situation, and other international instabilities. How long it will remain attractive is always the question. Generally, during recessionary times, it is considered a safe haven for investors, however, you need to again, ensure you sell at the right time. Smile Stock markets have been very volatile for the past little bit, so unless you have the stomach for risk, I suggest you look elsewhere Smile
cybernytrix
Gold just fell today. I agree with the above post that you need to invest in gold during uncertain times. When the economy is balmier it is definitely better to put that money in stocks or mutual funds (which are less risky that any one stock).
But the implicit assumption in the poster's question was that "as of today the shit has already hit the roof so what do I do?"
I guess it is really difficult to say. For example Gold had hit a high point in Dec and it fell a little and I was thinking that it will stabilize... but no! I went again on a bull run and it collapsed today after people started taking profits. There is definte risk involved in gold as well.
What ever you do please do not keep it under your pillow. I am putting it in ING savings and this is barely able to keep up with inflation.
I wish I had sent it to India and had invested in property there.

My final advise for people capable of risks:
Take a loan in USA ---> invest in India/China!!!
LumberJack
Things are really hitting the fan on the markets today Sad
myroom
Definitely I won't keep all my money in the bank. I will save a portion of my salary as Fixed Deposit just in case I can withdraw it when needed.

For me, I will buy property if I can afford. Houses or Shop-lot seem more worthy. I can rent out or I can run my own business with that shop-lot. I hope one day I can have my own business since I am studying business in my local college. I kinda love food industri so I wish to start one in future.

Of course, invest in stock market is my choice as well. Some of the Blue Chip share is good to put money in. Unit Trust is a good choice as well seem the rate of return better than bank's interest.
pigthomas
In case of Hong Kong and China, investing in household market is definitely the best choice to choose from.

There are two angles to look at the benefit of this strategy. The first one is the revenue gain. Once you have bought a house, you can rent it to tenants and repay with stable monthly income. Such income can be used to settle the mortage loan principal and interest components. This can counteract the effect of inflation rate increase.

The second one is the capital gain from the appreciation of household value. The current market status is booming and in the hope that the value and the market demand is elevated steadily. Though the buy and sell later option, I can foresee that you can make some profits on it.

The above is just my opinion, don't rely too much on it.
Tempesto
food and guns haha.
cloudship
buy large houses or raw oils buckets as safe.
4x4all
I think the best investment opportunity right now is to invest in New Zealand (1st choice), Australia (2nd choice) and Canada (3rd choice). New Zealand is the best because of its high interest rate plus stability in its currency. For Australia and Canada the stability is there because of gold. Or you can trade in commodities. The reason is that, the commodity price is increasing, especially in daily consumption coomodities.
bigt
Well, my financial adviser told me to get out of debt and then start investing in mutual funds. He said look for funds with long track records and don't do something with your money unless you understand it.
sucram
mystraits wrote:
Nowadays, the inflation rate is getting higher. The interest rate almost can not compete with the inflation rate. So, in what form you think we should keep our money in? Shares, Unit trust, Gold or others?

Is it true what you mentioned regarding the inflation rate. However, I would like to make a couple of considerations. In a scenario with increased inflation it is also a good oportunity to invest in short term deposits. The banks are more than happy to offer good deposits to try to attract as much money as they can. The, what they do is give back the money giving more loans to the people, so then they start their business again.
deanhills
mystraits wrote:

Well if you have not done so already I would pay off every little bit of debt I have first. That would be a No. 1 consideration. After that I would take out some insurance and there are ways that you can link the insurance with investments but you need to see a very good insurance broker about that. If you still have money to invest after that, it depends on what your interest is. If you like to buy and sell properties and can be quite unemotional about it, possibly you can find some bargains right now, but you need to buy it with money that you have, not to borrow, as of course that would make it an expensive purchase. If that is not your thing, I would park my money in a very good money trust to begin with so that it will earn the highest possible interest. I would open it with a Stock Broker as it takes the same amount of energy to set up a money trust than a broker account, and then if I have lots of spare cash make a careful study of a selection of blue-chip shares.
bigt
deanhills wrote:
mystraits wrote:

Well if you have not done so already I would pay off every little bit of debt I have first. That would be a No. 1 consideration. After that I would take out some insurance and there are ways that you can link the insurance with investments but you need to see a very good insurance broker about that. If you still have money to invest after that, it depends on what your interest is. If you like to buy and sell properties and can be quite unemotional about it, possibly you can find some bargains right now, but you need to buy it with money that you have, not to borrow, as of course that would make it an expensive purchase. If that is not your thing, I would park my money in a very good money trust to begin with so that it will earn the highest possible interest. I would open it with a Stock Broker as it takes the same amount of energy to set up a money trust than a broker account, and then if I have lots of spare cash make a careful study of a selection of blue-chip shares.

I wouldn't consider insurance and investment in the same sentence. Buy enough to support your family for around 10 years. Ex. Income = $40,000/year means you need around $400,000 of term life insurance. Get term insurance and not whole life.

Right about not borrowing to invest. I've heard it put this way. "Would you take out a mortgage on your paid-for house to invest it in the stock market?" That goes along w/ getting out of debt, b/c you're just borrowing from credit companies, etc if investing while having debt.
thuyhanh
Gold and precious metals have not always been good investments in the long term. Putting you money in the bank will most likely loose to inflation after taxes. A proper mixture of bonds, stocks, and real estate is a proper place to invest.

Inflation eats away at money that is not working hard for you.

Boy... I need to start listening to myself!!!