FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Will pay 100 FRIH$ for simple Windows program...

Traveller
...not just ANY simple Windows program, of course.

Where I live, the power, the water, or the Internet could go out any just about any time. Fortunately, I have a good UPS for the power, and the water for drinking it all bottled anyway, so that leaves me needing something relating to the Internet.

In particular, since an Internet outage may be anywhere from five minutes to a few hours, I would like a program that would notify me audibly when the Internet is back up. I have already checked out a number of "Internet Monitor" programs, but only one of them has a way to set an audible alert when the connection is restored, and the only way it does that is by executing a .bat or .exe file - and I have to make a .bat file in order to specify Windows Media Player and the file name of the audio file. In addition, all of them have all kinds of other garbage I just don't need.

If this were in Linux, I could write something simple enough in C, or even just as a shell script, but I need to do this on a Windows XP system, and would prefer it to work directly within Windows, not under cygwin. Alas, I don't have the proper development tools to be able to write something like this for Windows.

That said, here are the specs for what I would like for this program:
  1. Runs under Windows XP SP2.
  2. Does not require cygwin.
  3. Preferably, would not require Java (it can be such a hog under Windows).
  4. Can easily be configured either through a Windows interface, or just through a simple text file (or maybe the former would produce the latter, making either possible).
  5. Would be able to configure the following parameters:
    • IP address to check.
    • Interval, in seconds, between checks.
    • The name of the audio file to play when the connection is recovered.
    • If necessary, the name of the program to run to play the audio file.
    • An option for whether or not to continue checking after a successful contact (maybe the number of times to repeat after success, which would be reset if there is another failure during that time).
  6. The program would be a continuous loop that would try to open a socket (or perform whatever operation would be necessary) to contact the configured IP address. If not successful (i.e. the Internet is still down), it would wait the configured amount of time, then try again. If successful (i.e. the Internet is back up), it would play the configured audio file, close the connection, and repeat according to the configured option.
  7. I would like the source code, as well, but you would, of course, be free to pursue any other use of the software.
hsadmin
If you running windows XP, you should already have one.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/vmax4sean/showonline2.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/vmax4sean/showonline.jpg

top one shows your computer OFFLINE. Bottom shows online. Pretty simple.

edit by wumingsden - the images are a little big so i have changed them to a link instead
MYP415
Quote:

I think he wants something that will play a sound when it gets back online
Traveller
MYP415 wrote:
Quote:

I think he wants something that will play a sound when it gets back online

Exactly! The idea is: if I'm in the middle of working on something and the web goes down, I'd like to run this little program and go about doing other things around the house. When the web comes back up, I'll hear the sound, and know I can get back to work.

It will save me from checking, checking, checking, only to find it's still down, and from not realizing that the connection may have been back up for an hour by the time I checked again.

Simply stated, instead of a warning that the connection has been lost (there are LOTS of those available), I want a signal that the connection has been restored.

BTW, the idea of being able to specify the name of the audio file is not so I can have a "custom ringtone," but so that I can adjust it to make sure it is something long enough and loud enough that I don't miss it, as I could miss just a simple "ding."
S3nd K3ys
Can't you write it in C and compile it for windows?

Confused
S3nd K3ys
Ohh, check this out... just set up a web page that plays a midi file or an embedded audio file when it loads, then load that page in an auto-refreshing tab in FF when the connection goes down.

Wink
handa
or use a refresh metatag which is compatible with most browsers.
hunnyhiteshseth
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Ohh, check this out... just set up a web page that plays a midi file or an embedded audio file when it loads, then load that page in an auto-refreshing tab in FF when the connection goes down.

Or to make it more browsers compatible(like for ie or opera), use javascript to reload that page until that is loaded. You can have something like:

Code:

while(not loaded)
{
refresh();
}

play("your.mid");

Note above is pseudo-code, you can get that type of javascript code from anywhere(ofcourse best place would be google to search for code)
Manofgames
ive got a simple idea, but it would rely on your webserver or a random server u know of.

have a .js script on a webserver, any sites script'l do as long as its up most of the time (c if u can use google stats)

then get a simple js script on ur pc to refresh every 5 seconds, the script checks the site specified for the var online, if the var is there, the script plays a song.

simple.
im gonna have a go at makin my own prog. i tell u if it work
Mosquito.Tyler
Manofgames wrote:
ive got a simple idea, but it would rely on your webserver or a random server u know of.

have a .js script on a webserver, any sites script'l do as long as its up most of the time (c if u can use google stats)

then get a simple js script on ur pc to refresh every 5 seconds, the script checks the site specified for the var online, if the var is there, the script plays a song.

simple.
im gonna have a go at makin my own prog. i tell u if it work

Thats a great idea.
Traveller
Thanks for the ideas. I've been a bit busy lately, and not had much of a chance to try these things out. When things quiet down in a few days, I'll give them all a shot.

Just to give you an idea of my recent schedule: today, I took a mother and her 7 1/2-month-old baby to a cardiovascular clinic that was 3.5 hours away, by bus. Fortunately for the baby, the cardiac team visiting from the States said that he will be one of the ones upon whom they will operate when they come back in February. Fortunately for the mother, the only cost will be that of the trip (same city) and for eating in the hospital cafeteria for the five or six days they'll be there. Everything else associated with the surgery will be covered by the visiting team.
Bofia
If you are still interested, I can write a program that does just this. Let me know so i can get started.

For the source code, it will cost a bit extra and the source code will be in autoit.
Flakky
I can also do it in case you want it, just let me know, I like coding Wink
m-productions
actulyl i can make you an .exe with flash, it will try to load a .txt file from one of my sites, if it cant find it, nothing happens, when it does, it will play any sound and put up a msg or do whatever you want, ill have the basic .exe up in less than 20 mins!

DONE!! it works fine, now im just editing it to your specs, you will be able to set the options

play music (yes/no)
Music replay (1-99 times)
Load page(yes/no) [along with what page to load if yes (you could even link it to an application)]
keep checking (yes/no) also it does know if youv been disconnected, so i can make it play another sound if you get disconnected...thats up to you, i dont see why you would want that, but just in case you did, im letting you know i can add that.

as for pick location of IP to check, im not sure about this beacuse, its checking if your online by getting a var from my website, ... i can make the location of the .txt file able to be changed, thus, giving you the ability to select the location ...... if youd like that let me know, that would only take like....2 seconds to add.

[the music you want it to play will be called alert.mp3 in the same folder as the .exe, name the mp3 you wish to use and place it in the folder and rename it to alert.mp3]

im just adding it so you can edit those options now, other than that it works!

Edit: I have finished it, I will send you the info to download it (along with a link to preview it [due to the fact its made in flash, i can upload the .swf so you can see it before you download it] in about.......30ish mins. hopefully youll like it , the dang script i made to find out how long your alert.mp3 is and to convert milliseconds into 1/12 of a seconds.. made it take longer than i thought.^^ with the 100 frih$ i can up my award for the "guess the picture game" to 20 frih

CHECK IT OUT LIVE!!![note there may be a bit of a delay in the Sound, this is beacuse it was not made to be streamed, but to already be on your computer (aka the .exe) the sound will work fine when you have the .exe]
mattneed
GOOD WORK!!
Hogwarts
m-productions wrote:
actulyl i can make you an .exe with flash, it will try to load a .txt file from one of my sites, if it cant find it, nothing happens, when it does, it will play any sound and put up a msg or do whatever you want, ill have the basic .exe up in less than 20 mins!

DONE!! it works fine, now im just editing it to your specs, you will be able to set the options

play music (yes/no)
Music replay (1-99 times)
Load page(yes/no) [along with what page to load if yes (you could even link it to an application)]
keep checking (yes/no) also it does know if youv been disconnected, so i can make it play another sound if you get disconnected...thats up to you, i dont see why you would want that, but just in case you did, im letting you know i can add that.

as for pick location of IP to check, im not sure about this beacuse, its checking if your online by getting a var from my website, ... i can make the location of the .txt file able to be changed, thus, giving you the ability to select the location ...... if youd like that let me know, that would only take like....2 seconds to add.

[the music you want it to play will be called alert.mp3 in the same folder as the .exe, name the mp3 you wish to use and place it in the folder and rename it to alert.mp3]

im just adding it so you can edit those options now, other than that it works!

Edit: I have finished it, I will send you the info to download it (along with a link to preview it [due to the fact its made in flash, i can upload the .swf so you can see it before you download it] in about.......30ish mins. hopefully youll like it , the dang script i made to find out how long your alert.mp3 is and to convert milliseconds into 1/12 of a seconds.. made it take longer than i thought.^^ with the 100 frih$ i can up my award for the "guess the picture game" to 20 frih

CHECK IT OUT LIVE!!![note there may be a bit of a delay in the Sound, this is beacuse it was not made to be streamed, but to already be on your computer (aka the .exe) the sound will work fine when you have the .exe]

Actually, I've already made one of those (Just like that) and sent it to him.

A couple of weeks ago... In fact Sad

Mine isn't customizable though Sad
m-productions
ohwell it dosnt mattter, its fun making stuff in flash ^^ gave me somthing to do
Traveller
Thanks, M, and others.

STILL kind of busy here, but I hope to be able to sit down and compare everyone's submissions this coming weekend.

One additional note: one or two people have said, "sure, I'll do it, but if you want the source code, it will be extra." Although I appreciate ALL efforts, such request are outside of the original specs.

My request for the source code is for a VERY specific reason: If I use one of your programs (i.e. not any of the browser-based suggestions which have been offered - although those may still work out), it will, of course, be software that I must run on my computer and for which I must allow Internet access. If I allow just ANYone to submit ANYthing without source code to back it up, then ANYone would have the opportunity to slip in a virus, spyware, etc. and, since this would be something freshly written, it could also be freshly written malware that would not be detected by any security programs. Thus, if the solution you offer is a program that I will run on my computer, then I will not even consider it if the source code is not included.

Thanks again. I'll let you all know the results soon.
m-productions
just wondering if you have had time to look over all the ways, Once your have finished looking over and downloaded mine, i am going to remove it from my server, so please let me know. (no rush really, its super small,)
m-productions
sorry to double post...but just checking back..its been over a month
boulder
You can use any of these little ICQ clients (Or even official ICQ client). Or even another type of instant messenger. Some of them had the option "connect when possible" and they can do whatever you want after connection (usually they scream aloud Smile )
I use this client - rnq.ru (russian language only, sorry Sad )