FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Raymond E. Feist's books

yimaw
Does anyone here read any of his books?

I think they are utterly amazing! At the beginning you think it's a typical fantasy story and that all will go well and then bam! everything turns upside down, not a typical story. It has a very detailed world as well, maybe not as good as the Middle Earth but who could match Tolkien really.

What do you think?
kuad
Yes I've read most of Feist's books, and I agree that they're very enjoyable. Which book is your favourite? What other fantasy authors do you like? I used to read the Wheel of Time series but the quality of the books have decreased. The David Eddings books are ok for a more light-hearted style.
Deji
Locky = owns

jimmy = also good

>_>

love feists work.. just he needs to write less im stuggling to keep up i think if i want them all i have like $140 (70) of books to buy >_>

i liked Krondor: The Assasins and Talon Of The Silver Hawk
Darkness at placethatstartswithanS is good as well.
althalus
I've read a few books by Feist, the "Serpentwar Saga" which I liked a lot, and one or two books in the "Daughter of the Empire" serie (unsure if that's the real title), which he co-wrote with Jenny Wurts.

kuad wrote:
The David Eddings books are ok for a more light-hearted style.
I'm currently reading "The Shining Ones", book two of The Tamuli and it's really good. I think his books about Sparhawk are better than the one about Garion, but only slightly Wink
Deji
althalus wrote:
I've read a few books by Feist, the "Serpentwar Saga" which I liked a lot, and one or two books in the "Daughter of the Empire" serie (unsure if that's the real title), which he co-wrote with Jenny Wurts.

kuad wrote:
The David Eddings books are ok for a more light-hearted style.
I'm currently reading "The Shining Ones", book two of The Tamuli and it's really good. I think his books about Sparhawk are better than the one about Garion, but only slightly Wink

im on the 5th book about Garion and its been pretty good so far..
kuad
I personally prefer both "second" series for both the Garion and Sparhawk novels. ie the Mallorean and Tamuli.

Eddings has also got another series out at the moment but I haven't read any of the books. I think it's something about Dreams or Dreamers?
icarus
The Dreamers series is not good. I used to really like David Eddings and I have read every single one of his fantasy novels apart from the latest Dreamers book. If you have read them all, you would realise that they are all exactly the same. There is always a thief (Silk, Althalus...), a wise woman or goddess, always a spy, and always an unlikely hero. The storylines are also all basicly the same. An unlikely hero turns out to be a god or something close to it, and has to stop the destruction of the world.

Feist books are a lot better. I liked the Serpentwar saga and the Empire series.

For the best fantasy books, I would recommend the authors Sarah Douglass and George R. R. Martin for his Song of Ice and Fire series.
KungFuChris
Definately a big Feist fan myself. I especially like the way he can slip little tidbits of information that link the whole set together.

Also he's not afraid to let some of his characters die, or become less involved with the mail plot lines as they age, or become to bogged down with administrative duties etc.

The weakest books written by Feist himself would be the Krondor set, in my opinion. Most especially Betrayal, as this was written to cover the story of the early 90s game and was of course very strict and linear to keep the main plot intact.

The latest saga got off to a good start, but started to go down a little with the previous book, though hopefully the next one (just about out and I've not read it yet) will make it all up.

I'd say Arutha probably is my favourite character as I imagine him as close to my own way of being moody, but with a hidden sense of dry humour. Smile
Alistair
I have read most of the books by both of these authors, but not all.

I am a mad keen Fiction Fantasy fan so I have read a lot of other stuff as well - Steven Donaldson is excellent for instance and Robin Hobb is absolutely brilliant.

My fav character from the Riftwar series would be Tomas, the whole struggle to master the evil side of the armour was intriguing. In the later books I kind of connected with Eric, the big blacksmith turned murderer turned high ranking military guy.

As for Eddings, well my own RPG character is called Geran. Inadvertantly named after Garion's Father and Son. But Sparhawk must be my favourite Eddings character.

For me Eddings is a fiction writer that enjoys a good laugh, while Feist is far more serious. Feist does a good job of capturing the realities of human nature, while Eddings seems more enclined to poke fun at them.

All in all they are great books though.
noliver
I finished the Riftwar Trilogy and found it very exciting writing. As an earlier poster said - he is not afraid to let characters die or "fade away".
kany
Yeah well his stories are all alike. He first trains the hero . Then does some work through him and then put him in the back . Though some of his character are still there.
mpintozzi
I have read all of Eddings and did so at a time that I had to wait for his second series books to come out. I remember waiting "king of the Murgos" It was similar to the thrill of Harry Potter books coming out now.
But I Digress
If you have not read the book "Regina's song" By David Eddings you are missing a treat...
More to come.