FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Emulated goodness.

Vanilla Crazy
Do you prefer roms and emulators or consoles, CD's and cartridges?
faker_phil
Considering that I only own a PC, and no consoles, I'd have to answer ROMs and Emulators, since thats what I use whenever I get "Mario Fever" Wink
Getting buddies over and playing SNES Mario Kart in 4 player mode also is fun, even if a little crowded on ONE keyboard.
jeremyyak
I have several consoles, I prefer the real thing.

On my PC, I do have lot of emulators, I built controller plug ins for PS2, Sega and SNES. XBox controls are even easier Very Happy

Real Thing > Emulation
~Jeremy~
fearlabfoundation
i remember having emulators like crazy. but i stopped due to MR. VIRUS. but i have to say that game boy advanced emulator: VISUALBOY ADVANCED is probably the only best emulator there is. for the other game systems, play the real thing. you get better everything
FaLLeN
I used that visualy boy advanced, but i got it as i got my new computer, so i was more interested in seeing what new games my pc could run, not playing pokemon or something Laughing
Studio Madcrow
I PREFER the original, but as the only consoles I personally own are an Atari 2600 and a GameCube, I end up playing most retro games through emulation.
Octaeder
Emulators are just so handy... the amount of space it would take to cart around my mega drive (genesis) collection compared to having it all stored on my laptop? No contest.

And I couldn't live without being able to fire up Toejam & Earl every now and again... I just couldn't
Guyon
There is nothing like the feel of the real hardware I your hand. I also have never found an emulator responsive enough, or there is always a glitch that takes away from the original experience.

With that said I have a very good friend that is the exact opposite and just loves the emulators. It brings back some old games that he can no longer play, and has the convenience of many ROMs at his finger tip.

So I guess that is both sides of the coin in 1 post. LOL
exarkun
Of course emulator is hundred, million times better than a console. It is able to make a PC become, like, all-in-one gaming system..
ItsWesley
I much prefer emulators, mainly for the reason that its free!
Also playing old games on an xbox is great.
ddukki
I prefer the real thing, you know, what with controllers in your hands and the excitement of not having the Rewind Option every few seconds. But for the old NES and Gameboy games that are impossible to find; Emulators are great. I personally don't have an NES emulator, but I go over to my friend's house to play the old Zelda games constantly.
chongtg
I prefer the consoles better. But since I've misplaced all my old consoles and can never find them, I've to rely on emulators to play the old classics.

I'm currently playing Battle Tank on my laptop at the office (after working hours, of course) with my colleague. And, the emulator is great because we can save every single stage on hard drive. So, we are currently on stage 140++, with tons of lives. Not sure what is the last level.
Victory1140
I prefer consols as well. I am just too lazy to hook up all the consols I have, so it is easier to just get an emulator. lol
arkebuzer
jeremyyak wrote:
I have several consoles, I prefer the real thing.

On my PC, I do have lot of emulators, I built controller plug ins for PS2, Sega and SNES. XBox controls are even easier Very Happy

Real Thing > Emulation
~Jeremy~

Same here, in my oppinion you cant get the same feeling using an emulator. There´s something special about playing on a console. A huge part might of course be the controller.
enygmasoft
fearlabfoundation wrote:
i remember having emulators like crazy. but i stopped due to MR. VIRUS. but i have to say that game boy advanced emulator: VISUALBOY ADVANCED is probably the only best emulator there is. for the other game systems, play the real thing. you get better everything

There are so many things that need to be emulated to get the job done, that it tends to have a better gaming experiance playing the actual console than the emulation. Although the older the system the better the emulation that is available.
alezunde
Consoles are much, much easier to set up, especially once emulators for 3D consoles started being released.
I really like playing on the console where I don't have to worry about complexity in getting it to work.
However, there are certain emulators that I am in love with (ZSNES) and enjoy playing on them just because it makes plenty of games not such a painful experience. (Grinding in FF3, anyone?)

I'll admit to liking both quite a bit.
QrafTee
Vanilla Crazy wrote:
Do you prefer roms and emulators or consoles, CD's and cartridges?

ROMs are alright if you have the proper controller. I have played PlayStation games on the PC and though it emulates pretty well, I'm quite satisfied with my original PlayStation games much more. Maybe it's because I don't have the right controller, but the actual PlayStation seems to play smoother... although my PC is quite superior to it.
linkman2004
I much prefer consoles, simply because they offer a more authentic experience. That's not to say I didn't used to play ROMs. I used to play plenty of N64 ROMs -- didn't have an N64 -- until I found out they were ILLEGAL. Now the only time I play ROMs is on Console Classix, which is actually a legal way of playing all of those old games.
saeleyjnr
I used to play metal gear solid, tekken 3 & tony Hawks 2 on my pc (using roms). I recently bought an old school playstation (for nostalgia reasons).. and I must say i'm enjoying the old games more on the console than I did using roms.

You can't beat using the actual system
benwhite
I find that I fastforward constantly when I play rpgs on an emulator. I can just hold down the fight button and blast through the random battles or walking through the world map. Having the option means not having the patience.
QrafTee
linkman2004 wrote:
I much prefer consoles, simply because they offer a more authentic experience. That's not to say I didn't used to play ROMs. I used to play plenty of N64 ROMs -- didn't have an N64 -- until I found out they were ILLEGAL. Now the only time I play ROMs is on Console Classix, which is actually a legal way of playing all of those old games.

You mean you obtained ROMs somehow without reading the big gigantic bold prints that states you can't download it unless you owned it (which you couldn't have since you didn't own an N64). Now how did that end up happening? Wink
darth_revan
I don't own a Gameboy Advance, and i still want to play Pokemon. Emulators are my answer. Pokemon games for GBA ftw!
tingkagol
remember that there's always kaillerra for all you folks who want to take their roms online.
tallexander
I just played Zelda: ocraina of time for N64 on emu. its fun but its always better on console ^^
BladeRunner
Can someone post some links for recommended emulators and roms?
QrafTee
BladeRunner wrote:

Are you crazy? Frihost doesn't even allow torrents because of what might happen if any are found on this server and you're asking us to post links to roms and emulators on their forums? That's a no-no.
BladeRunner
QrafTee wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:

Are you crazy? Frihost doesn't even allow torrents because of what might happen if any are found on this server and you're asking us to post links to roms and emulators on their forums? That's a no-no.

Ah, you're right I should have been more clear.... lots of old computer manufacturers are more than happy to alow emulators for machines like the Atari 800XL/520ST Amstrad CPC6128 Commodor 64 etc and there are loads of people who have waived their copyright (people like Jeff Minter)...this was the sort of emulator I meant, not for the latest consoles or anything.

I seam to remember from 'back-in-the-day' that the one computer you couldn't emulate fully was the Commodor Amiga, because you needed a copy of the original Workbench and the copyright on that was still being enforced (though goodness knows why).
Pikokola
I... Prefer Real thing, Why, because somtimes t's annoying if The Emulator had some bugs T__T [I remember use brute forcing using the special item [square button] in the Chrono Cross, 1 down, 1 left, 1 down 2 left, 2 down, 2 down 1 left, 3 down....]

But because lack of money, mostly I play the emulator
*sigh*
Afaceinthematrix
I prefer the consols, but I do have many roms and emulators. Many of the emulators/roms that I have I also own on consol, but I have them on my comp anyways just in case I'm on the comp and want to play. But I have d/l many old games that you can't find in the store anymore.