FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


PC > Console.





Vanilla Crazy
It's the truth. It's the dang'd truth. There is no comparison. PC>PS3, PC>XBox360, PC>Wii. It's more powerful, and all monitors are high-def. Mouse wins.
QrafTee
Vanilla Crazy wrote:
It's the truth. It's the dang'd truth. There is no comparison. PC>PS3, PC>XBox360, PC>Wii. It's more powerful, and all monitors are high-def. Mouse wins.

The PC is one of the most adaptive piece of machinery we have today and it can do everything the next-gen consoles can dish out... with the exception of the Wii (for now anyway). The PC is upgradeable, reliable, and has all the multimedia/information processing options the other consoles would kill to have. Since I already have a PC, I'll just get a Wii to fill in the gap between them.
eLto
Vanilla Crazy wrote:
It's the truth. It's the dang'd truth. There is no comparison. PC>PS3, PC>XBox360, PC>Wii. It's more powerful, and all monitors are high-def. Mouse wins.
'

Now: not by a mile.

In the longrun: yes.
pokethamage
eLto wrote:
Vanilla Crazy wrote:
It's the truth. It's the dang'd truth. There is no comparison. PC>PS3, PC>XBox360, PC>Wii. It's more powerful, and all monitors are high-def. Mouse wins.
'

Now: not by a mile.

In the longrun: yes.


I'm confuzzled...are you saying PC IS > Console or ISNT? >_>

Anyways, I agree that PC totally pwns consoles...go easy moddings and mouse and hi-res monitors and upgradable components...and dont forget the cheats...
Nameless
I prefer PC over console, although consoles certainly have their advantages to.

Although, I do intend to get a Wii and if the remote controller is all I've heard it to be that could be more fun than a mouse could ever HOPE to be. Smile

Oh, and console games are more reliable than PC games, in my experience. I've never had any problems running console games but several times I've found a game to not run perfectly on my computer, or to have errors in it. Not so with consoler games.
enygmasoft
eLto wrote:
Vanilla Crazy wrote:
It's the truth. It's the dang'd truth. There is no comparison. PC>PS3, PC>XBox360, PC>Wii. It's more powerful, and all monitors are high-def. Mouse wins.
'

Now: not by a mile.

In the longrun: yes.


Thats reality PC are always getting better, Consoles do so it slower steps. Even now I can put four NVIDIA PCI express vid cards on a Pentiun Dual core, that will leave an console, hardware wise, asking for mama
WII is the only truly innovative system and time will agree with me.
SP360
PC is the best console if you have a good video card and enoguh RAM to run game and to meet the minimum requirements for the game.
7Pound7
PC, obvious.

I don't understand the whole console thing anyway.
NeoValkyrion
Consoles exist for gamers that like using controllers and like bringing their game systems around. For most people, carrying around a 30 lb desktop gaming computer and a monitor is too much to be bringing elsewhere for game parties. But in terms of hardware and games, the PC is superior to consoles.
Tasa
QrafTee wrote:
with the exception of the Wii (for now anyway).


What do you think the Wii do that a computer can not.

I know I have no heard of a single thing yet that any consule can do that a PC can not and like the OP said computer monitors are HD. One of the reasons I only watch TV on my computer I so love my tv tuner card.

Of course with me I usally get hyped up about the next gen console go and get it and quickly realize that it just doesn't hold up and I get rid of it. I am happy to say nothing caught my attention this round to the point that I got a new console Wii can close but I held out.
Tasa
NeoValkyrion wrote:
Consoles exist for gamers that like using controllers and like bringing their game systems around. For most people, carrying around a 30 lb desktop gaming computer and a monitor is too much to be bringing elsewhere for game parties. But in terms of hardware and games, the PC is superior to consoles.


Everheard of a gaming laptop? And my PC has a controller on it.

As for gaming partys I take my PC Long live the lan party. Can not really do that with a console. And the gaming companys are starting to realize that again. We are seeing a lot more PC versions released with the console versions and in same case it simple outsells the console (FF XI). Console have come and gone and the PC has always stayed. And this next generation of consoles are just trying to be computers with out the abilty to do something on it besides games.
arkebuzer
Vanilla Crazy wrote:
It's the truth. It's the dang'd truth. There is no comparison. PC>PS3, PC>XBox360, PC>Wii. It's more powerful, and all monitors are high-def. Mouse wins.


You cant really compare a 300$ console with a 2,000$ computer. Of course the computer will perform a lot better than the console.
Try to build a computer for the same cost a console will cost and you´ll see the console is most likely a lot better.
If you are just thinking about the gameplay- you can allways buy a gaming pad and connect to the computer... then the defference will be the performance (depending on the computer).
djsamsung
duh! unless you hav lots of money.
JBotAlan
The problem with PCs is that there's all sorts of overhead. Even though every line has been optimized to its fullest extent, a PC's OS still bogs down because of the huge variety of hardware. That is why PCs are so expensive and yet we get much less bang for our buck as compared to a console. A console is standardized--it doesn't need 74 drivers just to boot. Console manufacturers can take advantage of the raw power of the console with no overhead. Try doing that with a PC. To tap the raw power, you'd have to write your own OS, and have drivers for each device. With no anti-virus, no task management, no wireless config utility, and no fancy GUI, a cheap PC could blow a console out of the water, but it won't because of Windows, or Linux, or whatever underlying OS you have running. So, yes, a console has the advantage, but if you have the money, buy a PC with a good, small case.

JBot
exarkun
PC really is the greatest thing humans every created! They can emulate different consoles if you know how..
Kelcey
So a PC for gaming is better for someone if they don't like any PC games but are obsessed with Final Fantasy, Mario, Metroid and so on?

And the other way around, a console is better for someone who doesn't like any console games but loves Starcraft, World of Warcraft, and Crysis?

There's no final answer. It depends on the person.
fearlabfoundation
yea i agree
pcs are better than everything...
only problem is, that most are not portable easily
gaming laptops are just a waste of money
they dont work well and burn up 2 quickly
so an average computer is quite large
so if you want to move your game system from one room to another, then you would probably pick a console
but for people who want the BEST GAMING EXPERIENCE
PC gets my vote
Coclus
I agree. I'm a computer game... The mouse is so much cooler than controllers and the whole thng is cheaper...
Tasa
fearlabfoundation wrote:
yea i agree
pcs are better than everything...
only problem is, that most are not portable easily
gaming laptops are just a waste of money
they dont work well and burn up 2 quickly
so an average computer is quite large
so if you want to move your game system from one room to another, then you would probably pick a console
but for people who want the BEST GAMING EXPERIENCE
PC gets my vote


I disagree on gaming Laptops not worth the money. Maybe a few years ago but todays laptops last long and are just well better.

As to the portablity of PC I know someone that has this backpack like thing that basicly straps on the PC, has places for all equipment and the only thing left behind is the monitor. he throws it on his back.
AutoTechGuy
Look at stand up gaming systems from the 80's.. and compare that to... ATARI...

Now think of it this way... why did the stand up version of PACMAN from the 70's have way better sounds and graphics than the ATARI verison of pacman?

Yes you can talk about marketing and cutbacks all you want, but the simple truth is the stand up game was DEDICATED for ONLY pacman, whereas ATARI had to be able to run a huge list of different games.

You can use this same camparison these days between a PC and a console. Consoles are made, for the most part, for ONLY gaming.. no OS is required.. they aren't required for word processing, web design, 3D design, porn, etc. etc.... only games. The drawback to gaming systems, until recently, has been graphics. Poor resolution and refresh rates on standard TV's has been very limiting.. but not anymore.

Now I'm not saying a PC doesn't have the ability to outperform a gaming system.. on the contrary.. but it has to be able to do a whole lot of other things too, no matter HOW expensive your gaming PC is.

Last generation consoles (gamecube/xbox/ps2) had what? 400-500 MHZ processors? but yet their gaming abilities stood up to and even outperformed a lot of PC games of their time.. that required.. what 1.5-2.0GHZ processors... let alone a whole lot more ram... because of the overhead.
Patriot Players
Yes, but consoles have advantages. If you are playing online, you have a guarantee that everyone has the same hardware. This is SO MUCH easier for both devs and players, your console is not going to lag more than anyone elses.
ddukki
Well, it really depends now. You now have online capabilities and harddrive storage with the PS3 and a bit of the XBOX 360 now. Overall, I think the computer's the better deal, but consoles have their ups too. They can't get viruses, unless you've hacked them yourselves ( you idiot ) and they're a whole lot cheaper for the package you get ( the PS2 and XBOX had the most up to date processors in them for only about $300 - 400 ). The only downside is that you can't easily upgrade a console; which is different with the PC. I'd choose the PC over a console any day, but I still like my PS2 and want a PS3 BADLY.
Esch
The good thing about Vista coming out is that it has higher computer requirements than XP, so when games start coming out they can start making games that will look really good without having to worry about people with low end machines. Hopefully this will allow game developers to not hold back with games coming out so that we start seeing amazing stuff.

But still, like other people have stated, ther eis less overhead in consoles. But with new graphics cards coming out all the time, it will win in the long run.
coreymanshack
NeoValkyrion wrote:
Consoles exist for gamers that like using controllers and like bringing their game systems around. For most people, carrying around a 30 lb desktop gaming computer and a monitor is too much to be bringing elsewhere for game parties. But in terms of hardware and games, the PC is superior to consoles.



I actually bring my computer around with me, my tower has a handle on it though because it is ment for lan parties, the only thing that is heavy is my monitor, but we get along.
angelussum
I love my PC Very Happy Personally I find it easier to justify the cost of a computer than a console.
Juparis
I prefer consoles. Cheaper, no need for constant upgrades, easier to maintain (depending on your environment, I guess), and just generally more fun because of stuff like Xbox Live. I can still chat with my friends even while we're playing completely different games, online or not.

A good PC is obviously going to be more powerful than a console, but it's gonna cost a hell of a lot more too--at least with a console you don't have to dish out hundreds each month just to get the best out of the latest game. If that makes me cavalier than so be it; mediocre is more fun to me. Very Happy
coreymanshack
Juparis wrote:
I prefer consoles. Cheaper, no need for constant upgrades, easier to maintain (depending on your environment, I guess), and just generally more fun because of stuff like Xbox Live. I can still chat with my friends even while we're playing completely different games, online or not.

A good PC is obviously going to be more powerful than a console, but it's gonna cost a hell of a lot more too--at least with a console you don't have to dish out hundreds each month just to get the best out of the latest game. If that makes me cavalier than so be it; mediocre is more fun to me. Very Happy



Bleh bleh bleh, you can tell you are a n00b PC'er .. I can build a NEW computer right now for $400 that will get the best out of the new games. I can chat online with my friends over voice no matter what they are doing. A good PC doesn't have to cost more than a console *as stated above* I've never dished out monthly money to get parts for a computer. I may get a new one every two years, about the same time consoles roll around. It doesn't make you cavalier, It just makes you uninformed.
illegalhost
well, i dont have any comment on that. i guess i have always played games on PC and WISH i had playstation *ARGH!!*

but i think its not the console or the pc that makes the games - its the games themselves that makes the playing interesting. of course you could imagine how HALO could be if played in Nintendo Wii. *Radical?!* Maybe Wii is better than pc? Maybe others are still used to playing on pc? it's neither here nor there.
coreymanshack
illegalhost wrote:
well, i dont have any comment on that. i guess i have always played games on PC and WISH i had playstation *ARGH!!*

but i think its not the console or the pc that makes the games - its the games themselves that makes the playing interesting. of course you could imagine how HALO could be if played in Nintendo Wii. *Radical?!* Maybe Wii is better than pc? Maybe others are still used to playing on pc? it's neither here nor there.


I agree with you on the fact about how the game is what makes itself interesting, and really this isn't about games it's about PC VS Console. Everyone is freaking out about wii is better than a computer, when really who is to say wii is worse than a computer because it doesn't have a keyboard? Any hardware can be made and manufactured for the both of them alike it's just a matter of time before they come up with the wii controller for a computer and game's start utilizing it. Although it may never happen as developers see it as a waste of time and money.
darth_revan
coreymanshack wrote:
I can build a NEW computer right now for $400 that will get the best out of the new games.

lol make one and i'll buy it.
coreymanshack
darth_revan wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
I can build a NEW computer right now for $400 that will get the best out of the new games.

lol make one and i'll buy it.


lol, hehehe, haha, hardy har, I'm not kidding! You very well know though that we MORE than likely will not have a safe way of transferring the goods over the internet. This was not a very smart post. Visit here, www.newegg.com and there are cheap parts there that ARE good.
roach831
it aint that hard to make one heres a better website www.tigerdirect.com, and i do prefer pc over console because console always lags all kinds ight thats what i say new egg is good too but i think tiger direct is more accurate
coreymanshack
roach831 wrote:
it aint that hard to make one heres a better website www.tigerdirect.com, and i do prefer pc over console because console always lags all kinds ight thats what i say new egg is good too but i think tiger direct is more accurate


ahh ok thx, i'll check into that website.
nancian
QrafTee wrote:
Vanilla Crazy wrote:
It's the truth. It's the dang'd truth. There is no comparison. PC>PS3, PC>XBox360, PC>Wii. It's more powerful, and all monitors are high-def. Mouse wins.

The PC is one of the most adaptive piece of machinery we have today and it can do everything the next-gen consoles can dish out... with the exception of the Wii (for now anyway). The PC is upgradeable, reliable, and has all the multimedia/information processing options the other consoles would kill to have. Since I already have a PC, I'll just get a Wii to fill in the gap between them.

i have the same opinion
ForceRun
arkebuzer wrote:
Vanilla Crazy wrote:
It's the truth. It's the dang'd truth. There is no comparison. PC>PS3, PC>XBox360, PC>Wii. It's more powerful, and all monitors are high-def. Mouse wins.


You cant really compare a 300$ console with a 2,000$ computer. Of course the computer will perform a lot better than the console.
Try to build a computer for the same cost a console will cost and you´ll see the console is most likely a lot better.
If you are just thinking about the gameplay- you can allways buy a gaming pad and connect to the computer... then the defference will be the performance (depending on the computer).


I just did for a friend, and it is ten times better, lol.

Most of the time for a Maxed out full out PC $1000 is all you need and it can do so much.
Alias
Definitely PC will rule over Console. My friend ask me that he is planning to buy either PC or console. I suggest that he must buy PC because it has a lot more capabilities than Console. Smile
reddishblue
PC all the way, upgradable and only hardware matters not your monitor!
Sergiy
It's shame that consoles don't support other things than movies, games and web browsing...Some kind of word and so one would be nice Laughing

For now...PC rule the world Twisted Evil Very Happy
The_Gamer294
PC's can out preform any console, any time. (unless it runs windows)
Blu_Spykz
A high powered PC, "Super PC", needed to play games at speeds the PS3 / XBox can dish out without any loss of quality would cost more than a PS3 or Xbox combined.

Only downside really...
kamu
we all know that the computer is way more capable of doing things!!
Chesshaha
Pc > Console
jay84h
It is very true. The PC has the ability to be upgraded within a matter of minutes. Overtime, consoles do tend to have the graphics outdated. The PS2 for instance, once that was released the graphics we're superb, the best you could get! But it's just a console, it cannot be updated. The same goes with the PS3, it maybe great now, but it cannot be upgraded. Newer video cards are coming out al the time and are more advanced each and everytime. I have a PS2, it is really great if you want a game that isn't out for PC.....such as Call of Duty 3 which I just recently got Smile You can just relax and lay down while you play.
Kitten Kong
you have to accept the fact that the only reason the ps2 was so popular was because sony was forcing developers to only develop for their machine, that is why they are now making the ps3 sooo complicated so that any developer that makes a game for it will have too much trouble converting it to another system that it won't be worthwhile.

Look at PC games, most are ported to every other system (except RTS and other games that just don't work on console controllers) same with XBox (except the Xbox only games and they are only xbox only because microsoft pays the developers to keep it that way) The only reason to get a console is to play games that would work just as well on a slightly more expensive but far more flexible PC is because the console manufacturers make sure the games dont make it to PC
Keydar
PC just rocks. I´ve playd PC all my life, I bought a console and sat there: "What? Thats not that great!"
7Pound7
What are you trying to say with a signature like this?
It looks like a extremely high rating on the nerd-ladder to me...

_____________
AMD Athlon 64 3300+ @ 2.4Ghz
1GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
160GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA
ATI Radeon X1650 PRO 512MB DDR2
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4
Logitech 5.1 Z-5300
Fake
Getting all the free games on PC and easily updgrable, I think PC rocks
m_furquan36
No doubt a PC is very adaptive to many different situations but then again consoles get a lot of games out of which all dont make it onto the PC platform...but i still love my PC Smile
LoZOwns
Lets face it most games being developed are being exclusively released on home consoles if not just one console, not PC's.

I have to admit I spent about $700 in summer of 2006 upgrading my PC. Its strong enough to play "Need for Speed: Most Wanted" at Max settings w/ 1280x800 resolution and about 30fps. (custom res).

Oh and I got the PC for $700 only cause I already had a monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, and windows OS.

With that in mind Its really not a bad deal to pay out $600 max for a ready to go PS3, or better yet $400 for a comparable Xbox360 and both machines with backwards compatibility have a much larger game library then PCs.

My Opinion: Purchase/Build a PC for web browsing, e-mail, word processing, multimedia copy capture edit, programming, devolpment, downloading songs videos etc., and for legacy games like snes or ps1, or MMORPG's as that is one genre that PC is still best at by far.

(A good dual-core, single graphics card, 1gig ram should do you well)


**Get consoles for everything else. (yeah even shooters) IE: gears of war
JJGY
Wow... it's almost as if I've just stepped into the midst of a hermit battle back on gamespot Shocked

There's two very distinct sides to this argument, and no clear medium. A huge part of what seperates the console gamers from PC gamers is technical experience. A kid that doesn't know much more about computers other than typing in myspace.com into a url bar can boot up and play an Xbox360. The same surely can not be said for PCs.

Although they have their place in the gaming market, PCs are not likely to ever become the gaming machine of choice for casuals, and those are the people who drive the market.
coreymanshack
JJGY wrote:
Wow... it's almost as if I've just stepped into the midst of a hermit battle back on gamespot Shocked

There's two very distinct sides to this argument, and no clear medium. A huge part of what seperates the console gamers from PC gamers is technical experience. A kid that doesn't know much more about computers other than typing in myspace.com into a url bar can boot up and play an Xbox360. The same surely can not be said for PCs.

Although they have their place in the gaming market, PCs are not likely to ever become the gaming machine of choice for casuals, and those are the people who drive the market.


Yes technical exp is a big one, I didn't even think of that.
Seiji
Aren't they also making a console that will run PC games. I saw it somewhere on wikipedia.
coreymanshack
Seiji wrote:
Aren't they also making a console that will run PC games. I saw it somewhere on wikipedia.


No doubt about it that it can be done, for consoles are just low powered pc's. I'm sure only a very minimal amount of games would run on this console though.
Ghost900
I think PC's are better than consoles for the most part here are the reasons.


PC:
Can play games online for free unless it is an MMO.
Can upgrade instead of getting a new system all the time
Can play almost every game except a few Xbox or PS games.
You can browse the internet and post things on Frihost.

Consoles:
When you see a game that is for the PS3 it will work on the PS3 and it doesn't have tons of requirements.
Can play the games that are Console specific if you have the right console.(e.g. Gears of War & Halo 2)


I think if you have the money Get a PC and a Console otherwise get a PC only. Smile
Nerdlings
I have to agree since I like pc games better such as Warcraft III. HOwever they're good console games like LOTR the third age and fun games to play with your friends.
schooldays
Some PC games look better, because of the resolution, but generally, I'd say console is much better, IMO.
coreymanshack
schooldays wrote:
Some PC games look better, because of the resolution, but generally, I'd say console is much better, IMO.


Why is console better? Please back up your statement with evidence.
schooldays
coreymanshack wrote:
schooldays wrote:
Some PC games look better, because of the resolution, but generally, I'd say console is much better, IMO.


Why is console better? Please back up your statement with evidence.


Better controls, hardly any crashing or freezing, some better games, in some cases, better graphics, the list goes on.
Seiji
This console/PC plays PC Games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evo:_Phase_One

I'm not sure if its that popular since I've really haven't heard anything about it.
Related topics
What is your operating system?
Favourite game? (OFFICIAL THREAD)
your specs
what game should I buy
do you think free download of mp3s should be legal or not?
How do you keep your machine cool?
xbox 360
Your all time favourite video game.
Virus Problem
Cual fue tu primera consola y cual tienes actualmente.
Home LAN problem
What's better?
Buy a Pc or console ?
PC ou console ?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.