FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the best RTS Game?

heridlia

I play Age Of Empire III. How about DOTA?

Thanks.
Vanilla Crazy
Try TAS
pokethamage
Empire at War is quite nice...contrary to my first impressions...
darth_revan
lol DOTA is NOT a RTS.

Sudden Strike, Blitzkreig, Empire Earth and the last one, and the best, Starcraft are best RTSs. Especially starcraft.. No game is more balanced than starcraft..
eLto
This is of course a matter of personal preference, as we all know, but I can of course recommend some of the RTS games I like.

Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour (Very good if you like the genre and style of it)
StarCraft: BroodWar (very, VERY balanced)
Warcraft 3 (this has some very entertaining multiplayer modes)

Those are my favourites, but Generals rate as a very good 1st place, and I'm playing that at ever lanparty I'm at.
Daisie
eLto wrote:

Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour (Very good if you like the genre and style of it)
Those are my favourites, but Generals rate as a very good 1st place, and I'm playing that at ever lanparty I'm at.

I like all the c&c series, we often play them on the network with hubby, it's good fun !
I would say it's my fav too (our other networking game is Dungeon Siege, not quiet the same style lol)
arkebuzer
Warcraft 2 and 3 are given favourites Wink
Also starcraft (both the original and brood war) are great games, especially on LAN with a few friends Very Happy
Calebgod
C&C is the best I love Zero Hour. I also like Empire Earth and Warhammer.
exarkun
Calebgod wrote:
C&C is the best I love Zero Hour. I also like Empire Earth and Warhammer.

Warhammer is good! Although I have never really played it before, but the graphics are damn awesome. Watch some of its trailer on youtube and you will know. Wink
medievalman26
The best RTS games I can think of (not listed in any order other than when they come to my head) are Starcraft, Red Alert 2+ expansion, C&C Generals+Zero Hour, umm give me a minute here, pretty much the entir C&C seris except for Renegade and of course covert ops(it doesn't like me to play it), and that is all that I have played except for Warcraft through III but those ones are kinda cheesey once you have played them and found that the cheat codes mess the game up lots and lots. I don't like cheating or cheaters.
Tuxy
Medieval Total War is one of my favourites. If you don't like large battles or you only like WWII themed you should look for Soldiers:Heroes of World War 2. It's still one of my favourite RTS games.
djsamsung
Get Medievel 2 : Total War. BUt also try Empire at War, it will blow your mind of! the units are soo small but its quite good. Haven't tried Mark of Chaos but it looks good. Razz
Kelcey
I'm not a huge rts fan, but I can tell you I liked starcraft a lot.
Cibes
Well, I'd say DotA is the best Multiplayergame ever but I don't think you can call it a RTS - it's much more a RPG
My favorite RTS is "C&C Generals". "Empire at War" looks pretty interesting too, haven't played it yet though.
Patriot Players
If you're looking for actual battle strategy/realism, look for the Total War series. Rome has been out for a while and I think Medieval 2 is coming out soon if its not out already.
Vladalf
My favourite RTS is Company of Heroes.
I love the feeling in this game. It's a good thing that it also uses Havok Psyhics engine for a more realistic feel.
The special Effects also increase the overral feeling...
linkman2004
Age of Empires II beats all RTS games. Period. It was just something about the good balance between action and strategy that made it great. That's not saying that the original Age of Empires was bad, though. Wink
ItsWesley
Original War is a great little RTS you may not have heard off, though it didn't sell to well, but its a great game nonetheless.
Reaper
Starcraft brood war
Warcraft 3
and Medieval Total War
are my favorites, though I do intend to try out age of empire III simply because it sounds interesting.
reddishblue
All the c&cs (especially Generals and Yuri's Revenge), Starcraft and War Hammer 3
photon
All games in the Command And Conquer series! Absolute beauty! my favourite was yuri's revenge. The only other rts ive played is warcraft 3. Loved it Smile
J-More
By far Rome Total War, Medieval II Total War and company of heroes. Wow.. what can I say, Even though RTW and M2TW are a little mix btween Turn Based Strategy and Real Time Strategy all three are amazing in graphic quality (especially CoH and M2TW). Both Total War games have epic scale battles, and when modded with the total realism mods are actually very very historically accurate. Company of heroes is also good because the enviroment is completely destructable and the fact that your troops can enter buildings use things as cover... all I can say is these Games have to be three of the best RTS and maybe over all games to date.
Lusiphur
Depends on what you're looking for, if you want a more slow paced game I find it hard to beat the age of empire games, if you want a face game Starcraft wins everytime.

Personally I think Starcraft (and BW) is the best RTS that has been made to date, but I'm a blizzard fanboy so am obviously biased.
nancian
heridlia wrote:

I play Age Of Empire III. How about DOTA?

Thanks.

yeah it is lovely,empire earth and rise of nations too,i like thee kind of gaming!
khairulsyahir
I don't really play much RTS games, but yeah, surely Starcraft is good. Apart from that, there's this new game called Company of Heroes. Damn awesome graphics, totally destructible environment. But it's quite a demanding game, though. Need a powerful PC to unleash its fullest potential.
Senshida
I like Age of Empires I and II. I don't like III because its only European powers.

I also liked the Age of Mythology games.
If they made an AoM II, they should include more civilizations, like Arab (ancient, before Islam), China, maybe India and Japan. (maybe not those two, because Hindu and Shinto are still practiced religions. And to call them mythologys wouldn't fit to good with them)
ForceRun
Company of Heroes, is very sweet.

Starcraft

Command and Conquer
medievalman26
Patriot Players wrote:
If you're looking for actual battle strategy/realism, look for the Total War series. Rome has been out for a while and I think Medieval 2 is coming out soon if its not out already.

Yeah Medieval 2 is out already. It uses an improved version of Rome. You should try it.
SeanoRLY?
Starcraft, Warcraft 3, DoW: Dark Crusade, Command and Conquer: Zero Hour.

Some of the RTS's that I play Very Happy
wfox
Warcraft III rules!! Smile
Coclus
Oh come on guys it's Command n Conquer Generals Zero Hour lol
Kitten Kong
if you only include current games and forget the "classic" value of games like starcraft and original c&c then Company of Heroes blows everything away at the moment, good engine, (same as Dawn of War) smart interface, more USEFUL strategic options than any other game. you can set up defensive positions, you have to balance your early game units with your late game or get squashed.

Through an entire game it is fun.

Rise of Legends was good too, a nice unique way of doing things that I really enjoyed, unfortunately it did not sell well so there are few players, and it had server trouble that they did not fix for weeks which alienated most of the online community.
xyberz
If you're looking for an online RTS strategy game, check out one called Shattered Galaxy.

You can read my post about it here:
[url]
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-9812-9.html[/url]

It's kinda similar to Starcraft. I forgot to mention that in my post. If you really enjoy that game, this one will blow your socks off as you can play online with as many as 60 people in the same battle, sometimes even more!

It's a futuristic based RTS game.

The one really good thing about it is that you can play for free as long as you want. There are a few extra perks if you would like to pay the monthly fee of $10 U.S.

Check it out, I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

Also if you do happen want to try it out, join the Pompeii faction. Wink

You can look for me by my game name if you do happen to join. It's DoubleSiX and I'm in a regiment called rOfLmAo.

I'll be making a web page for our regiment using the space I got from Frihost. Wanted to give thanks to them for that by the way, in case if I forgot to mention it. Very Happy
calicamper
I can't really say what the best game out there is, but my favorites are Warcraft 2, Starcraft and Age of Empires 2. I know they're old, but I like the classics.
xerosyne
Sounding like a broken record I have to plug again for Total Annihilation. Hundreds of units, huge armies and many strategies to experiment with. It became even better once the mod community got involved and still thrives today.

Supreme Commander early 2007 promises more of the same.
QrafTee
xerosyne wrote:
Sounding like a broken record I have to plug again for Total Annihilation. Hundreds of units, huge armies and many strategies to experiment with. It became even better once the mod community got involved and still thrives today.

Supreme Commander early 2007 promises more of the same.

Isn't Supreme Commander made by Cavedog or by former Cavedog members? And if it has even the partial community support, it'll be a great game because Total Annihilation was a breakthrough RTS that no other game had tried to build upon on. (TA: Kingdoms was crap) I don't think I can handle Supreme Commander though since my laptop overheated playing Company of Heroes... I better exchange my ZD8000 for a DV9000 with Dual Core 2 because this P4 w/HT simply sets my laptop on self-destruct.
cloudship
i've heard empire age III is quite nice.

By the way, is this topic forbidden in this board, according to the notce of "no discussion on best games..." ?
QrafTee
cloudship wrote:

By the way, is this topic forbidden in this board, according to the notce of "no discussion on best games..." ?

That's true, but it's not like the Games board is moderated heavily. It took like 2 months before the Wii got an [OFFICIAL] on its topic, this is 2 months after the PS3 got its topic... or perhaps more, I don't remember. Anyway, I think the old moderator of this forum was noobie2 or something who is retired from FriHost.
Notigam
I <3 Warcraft III, i think its the best RTS game
Wish4Me
xyberz wrote:
If you're looking for an online RTS strategy game, check out one called Shattered Galaxy.

You can read my post about it here:
[url]
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-9812-9.html[/url]

It's kinda similar to Starcraft. I forgot to mention that in my post. If you really enjoy that game, this one will blow your socks off as you can play online with as many as 60 people in the same battle, sometimes even more!

It's a futuristic based RTS game.

The one really good thing about it is that you can play for free as long as you want. There are a few extra perks if you would like to pay the monthly fee of $10 U.S.

Check it out, I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

Also if you do happen want to try it out, join the Pompeii faction. Wink

You can look for me by my game name if you do happen to join. It's DoubleSiX and I'm in a regiment called rOfLmAo.

I'll be making a web page for our regiment using the space I got from Frihost. Wanted to give thanks to them for that by the way, in case if I forgot to mention it. Very Happy

That game is basically a newer yet crappier version of starcraft in terms of balance, graphics, and overall gameplay. With the added feature of MMO. So its basically a free Crappy MMOStarcraft. But since its free I can forgive that ^.^, its really not that bad. its just that I am a Warcraft 3 style solo player. FFA isnt my thing.
darth_revan
cloudship wrote:

It's not as balanced as Starcraft, if you mean Age of Empires III

I recently played Rise of Nations (again), the game is not bad, but not as entertaining as Starcraft..
Grom
My favourite RTS are C&C series, Metal Fatigue, Total War series, Black & White and Cultires 2
darth_revan
Grom wrote:
My favourite RTS are C&C series, Metal Fatigue, Total War series, Black & White and Cultires 2

I'm not sure, but i don't think that Black & White is RTS. We call it "God Game". But I don't know what its genre is..
QrafTee
darth_revan wrote:
Grom wrote:

I'm not sure, but i don't think that Black & White is RTS. We call it "God Game". But I don't know what its genre is..

Black & White is a Simulation Real-Time Strategy.
medievalman26
I still say Starcraft and Warcraft II are among the top 2 if not the top 3 best RTS of all time. If you do not use cheat codes that is.