FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHPbb3?

PriDe
I'm guessing that we cannot install a phpbb3 beta version on this server can we? Phpbb3 beta 4 seems to require a PHP5 server an this is stil a PHP4 somthing server up to my knowledge. That true or is there some one to go around this problem?

Thanks
wumingsden
PriDe wrote:
I'm guessing that we cannot install a phpbb3 beta version on this server can we? Phpbb3 beta 4 seems to require a PHP5 server an this is stil a PHP4 somthing server up to my knowledge. That true or is there some one to go around this problem?

Thanks

As far as I am aware it needs PHP 4.3.3 or above, although newer versions are also supported.

http://www.phpbb.com/development wrote:

Can I use this beta as my live forum?
No. We do not recommend using beta software in a production environment.

I recommend not using it, as its still in the beta stage. If however you wish to then you can - it has been installed on server 2 before.
shoes22
I'm running phpbb3 on frihost and I must say it's working splendidly Wink
And I in-fact started running it all the way from Beta1. I upgraded from each version manually by editing the database tables. It was a lot of work so now i'm glad they have the updater built in to the software now so I won't have to worry about that anymore. Cool
Scorpio
I think it is pretty much summed up.

PHPBB3 requires only PHP 4.3.3 at the least for it to function..
I did try a test installation and it did work.

But as they say at phpbb.com it is better not to use it in a live environment
fizzo
I think we need some Confirmation from the Mods or members of the Support Team so we can be aboslutely sure about this, anyways are there any tools to upgrade PHPBB2.0 to 3?
yjwong
The upgrade tools /should/ be released by the phpBB Development Team after phpBB 3 goes live.
Scorpio
fizzo wrote:
I think we need some Confirmation from the Mods or members of the Support Team so we can be aboslutely sure about this, anyways are there any tools to upgrade PHPBB2.0 to 3?

There most definnitely be an upgrade from earlier versions to phpbb 3. But it will only be released officially after phpbb3's final version is released/

However, there will probably no upgrades available from the beta versions of phpbb3 to the final one.
shoes22
fizzo wrote:
There is an unoffical phpbb2 to phpbb3 upgrade available that fellow developers have been working on. You can find more info about it and a download link in this thread: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-30925-3.html

And scorpio, the phpbb devs have just released an upgrade path from beta3 to beta4 Wink
Blaster
I tried to install phpbb3 here and had problems. I dont' know if this was because of what you said or because of a bug in phpbb3.
swizzy
it work bro... phpbb3 b4 works

just a question out of interest.. when will frih update thier php,mysql???
wumingsden
Blaster wrote:
I tried to install phpbb3 here and had problems. I dont' know if this was because of what you said or because of a bug in phpbb3.

It must of been something that you did because it has been successfully installed here. There are obviously bugs in the phpbb3 software (as it's still in beta) but none that should stop the installation from running correctly.

swizzy wrote:
just a question out of interest.. when will frih update thier php,mysql???

As far as I am aware php will not be updated. This is because most software only works for php4 and has problems with php5 so users will have a lot of problems with their hosting. Not too sure about the mySQL and whether that will be upgraded, likely not to be if it hasn't already happened.

I think the only way that frihost will have the newer updated versions of php/mySQL, etc, is if we had a new server. This however is not planned. Two servers is more than enough at the moment Wink
PriDe
10ks for your information guys...you've been a great help. After Doing some checking myself seems like all phpbb forums will work in this server

Phpbb2 Requirements:

Installation of phpBB2 requires the following:

Quote:
* A webserver or web hosting account running on any major Operating System
* A SQL database system, one of:
o MySQL (3.22 or higher)
o PostgreSQL 7.0.3 or higher (preferably 7.1.x or 7.2.x)
o MS SQL Server (7 or 2000) directly or via ODBC
o MS Access (2000 or XP) via ODBC
* PHP (4.0.3 and above) with support for the database you intend to use above

If your server or hosting account does not meet the requirements above I am afraid phpBB 2.0 is not for you.

Now phpbb3 beta 4 version System Requiremnts:

Quote:
What do I need to run phpBB 3.0 Beta for testing purposes?

* A webserver or web hosting account running on any major Operating System with support for PHP
* A SQL database system, one of:
o MySQL 3.23 or above (MySQLi supported)
o PostgreSQL 7.3+
o SQLite 2.8.2+
o Firebird 2.0+
o MS SQL Server 2000 or above (directly or via ODBC)
o Oracle
* PHP 4.3.3 or above (supported: 5.0.x & 5.1.x, compatible: 6.0-dev) with support for the database you intend to use.
* These optional presence of the following modules within PHP will provide access to additional features, but they are not required.
o zlib Compression support
o Remote FTP support
o XML support
o Imagemagick support

Seems like this server handles everything...10ks guys
ehab
PhpBB is my somewhat bulky.

Why not use PunBB or Vanilla ?