FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Not receiving email from Hotmail

Shike
I've noticed that I haven't been receiving any emails from hotmail accounts to my primary account (shike@shike.frih.net). It appears to just be Hotmail.

Is it something on this end, or with hotmail?
Shike
Ok, I cannot recieve emails from hotmail anymore. Can someone help me?
Shike
Ok, I'm bumping this hoping that someone could shed some light on the problem. Does anyone else have a problem with Hotmail??
Shike
Ok, is anyone going to reply to this but me? I posted the original problem in late November and no one has even hazzarded a guess as to what the problem might be. Is there someone who might answer my question? if not, will a mod please lock or delete this thread as it appears that no one will help me.
awesty
There are heaps of threads about this. The SMTP for server 2 is down.
Shike
Actually according to the server Status Check the SMTP is currently working fine. What I'm talking about seems to be a specific problem working with Hotmail When I originally posted about this problem (in late November) there was NOTHING about the topic. No one has bothered to take alook at the problem I'm experiencing or at least informing me on this topic. now if you actually read the problem I can, apparently, recieve email from everywhere but Hotmail accounts. I would like to know if it is something on this end, or if it is more likely a problem with hotmail. Now if someone could please answer that question I would be very greatful. (I've been having this problem for nearly a month and a half.)
Arnie
SMTP has nothing to do with this. SMTP is for sending mail, while frih.net is unable to receive mail from Hotmail. I have the same problem. Nobody probably notices because "not receiving mail" is hard to find out. Many people from my school complained about this. Receiving from all other domains works just fine.
theLOGANhole
I have the same problem.....

It has been at least 2 months now I notice everyone from Hotmail can't send me email.

I don't know what to do, they say they have been receiving email notification failure.

I will try to PM an admin to find out about this, I mean emails are an important part of web hosting if I can't get this fixed I guess I'll have to pay for it.

I'll keep u updated if I find anything out please do the same for me.

Hope we can find this out ASAP I can't believe you've been waiting for 2 months for an answer that sucks really bad..

SOMEBODY READ THESE POSTS
theLOGANhole
Also I noticed that when I created an email account at hotmail is worked fine, my Spam Assassin is disabled and I don't think it would have anything to do with someone trying to send an email from Hotmail.

THAT I have seen hotmail seems to be the only problem....Please somebody shed some light on the situation..

Thanks
theLOGANhole
Still no solutions, I will keep looking into it..It seems to be more of a hotmail issue. I'm looking into another free web hosting which I can create my own emails with my domain again.
Animal
Please stop double and triple posting.

This problem may not be caused by Frihost - Spam Assassin is not configured on the server, so it's certainly not blocking any incoming mail. It could be caused by some outgoing mail policy from Hotmail, although I am unable to verify this. Could you please send me a copy of a bounce-message from Hotmail by PM?

If you are using your own domain name (not *.frih.net) then I woul recommend that you try setting up Google Appls For Your Domain (http://www.google.com/a/) - this gives you Gmail for your domain's email system. This way Google handles all your incoming and outgoing mail - if the problem persists after you've set this up, then it rules out Frihost as the source of the email problems.

If you don't have your own domain, is it just the primary email account that you're having problems with? Can you receive email to secondary email accounts created under your domain?
theLOGANhole
No Problem I'll stop spamming posts...

I just wanted to mention it is all my emails created under my own domain.
So if people send emails from Hotmail to any of my emails it gives them an error. I just recieved an error and I shall post it on the forum to give you more of an insight.

Also Animal is there any info on using Google Alps as an email system besides the actual website. I will look into that also.

Thanks
theLOGANhole
This is a copy of message recieved by Hotmail When I try to send an email to any of my email adresses.

I have two domains in my Hosting Account and both domains cannot receive any email from Hotmail.

This is the error reply from Hotmail when I sent an email from Hotmail to one of my accounts, Hope it helps understand the problem better.

[/quote]

Quote:
Reporting-MTA: dns;bay0-omc1-s9.bay0.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;BAY113-W4
Arrival-Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:34:04 -0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;myemail@domain.com(Changed Email)
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550-"Message rejected bay0-omc1-s9.bay0.hotmail.com [65.54.246.81]:61538 is
550-blacklisted at spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net see Spam Received See:
550 http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?65.54.246.81 "

Quote:

> From: postmaster@mail.hotmail.com
> To: friendsemail@hotmail.com(Changed Email)
> Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:34:52 -0800
> Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
>
> This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
>
> Delivery to the following recipients failed.
>
> myemail@domain.com(Changed Email)

Just incase your asking emails have been changed to keep privacy.
Arnie
Could anyone with Hotmail send something to test@arnie.frih.net , a secondary account? (It can only hold 1MB so just a text msg...)

I don't mind spam harvesters here because the account will be removed after the test.
theLOGANhole
I just looked up our email ip address and it has been marked as SPAM.

That seems to be the problem with the Hotmail rejecting my emails.

The ip is 65.54.246.81. I don't know any better can someone confirm this with me. This is the results I got from a website.

IS anyone else seeing this problem.

Quote:
Address: 65.54.246.81
Record Created: Sun Aug 13 15:30:07 2006 GMT
Record Updated: Thu Jan 4 12:30:07 2007 GMT
Additional Information: [ Updated via: Spam 'o Matic ] Received: from bay0-omc1-s9.bay0.hotmail.com (bay0-omc1-s9.bay0.hotmail.com [65.54.246.81]) by desperado.sorbs.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 7B328114D8 for <[email]>; Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:01:38 +1000 (EST)

This is from http://www.us.sorbs.net/
Fighting spam by finding and listing Exploitable Servers.
theLOGANhole
Arnie wrote:
Could anyone with Hotmail send something to test@arnie.frih.net , a secondary account? (It can only hold 1MB so just a little text msg...)

I don't mind spam harvesters here because the account will be removed after the test.

I'm sending you one right away. I have noticed that I have been able to receive one email once in a while passes through the security system.
Arnie
Nope, didn't get anything. The spam listing would explain a lot. I hope Frihost will get itself unlisted. Not being able to receive mail from hotmail.com is a serious flaw. Sad
Animal
Arnie wrote:
Nope, didn't get anything. The spam listing would explain a lot. I hope Frihost will get itself unlisted. Not being able to receive mail from hotmail.com is a serious flaw. Sad

It's not the Frihost server that is listed with SORBS (the spam database) - it is Hotmail. The SORBS lookup service says that it is blocking mail from the IP address 65.54.246.81 - a WHOIS check of this IP shows that it belongs to Hotmail, and there is nothing that we can do about this.

I would suggest that you try and contact Hotmail support and ask them to try to get de-listed from SORBS using their De-Listing feature. This is not an issue with Frihost - it's solely with Hotmail and SORBS.
Arnie
Oh, sorry for my mistake. So the Frihost mail server uses Sorbs blacklists?
theLOGANhole
Okay...Thanks
Animal
Arnie wrote:
Oh, sorry for my mistake. So the Frihost mail server uses Sorbs blacklists?

Apparently so... I didn't know this until now.

However, my advice above still stands - if you use your own domain, you may find Google Apps For Your Domain will solve any problems you have - I'm 99.9999% sure they don't use SORBS.
theLOGANhole
Wow Thanks Google Apps Looks Awesome I Will try it and let you know if I Ma receiving emails from everyone properly.
Bondings
I removed SORBS from the exim config file and restarted exim. Unfortunately I have no idea if this will help. Could you please check if it is working now?
theLOGANhole
So far I have had 4 different people email me from Hotmail, it looks like it's working is anyone else not getting anymore hotmail emails.

Thanks alot Bondings And Animal, I hope this case is closed.
Shike
Thank you both, Bondings and Animal.

I'm glad this has been, at least, answered to the best of anyones knowledge.

I didn't have any clue as to what the problem might be so I wanted to know if anyone could let me know where the problem was.

So thank you both a lot.
Arnie
Very glad this is fixed, now I can continue using frih.net as main email account!
BPrice
over the last couple of weeks i have noticed that I can only email within my frihost acounts.

that is to say that I cannot send mail to my tiscali email from any of my frihost.net email acounts
and i can not send mail my to frihost.net from my tiscali acount.

but I can send mail between my frihost.net acounts.

and i can send mail to anywhere els from my tiscali acounts.

if anyone can explain this please do.
BPrice
we seem to be one step closer to fixing the problem I can receive mail from outside frihost but I still can not send mail to my tiscali adresse

well done to however fixed the receiving problem and good luck with the sending error.