FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help Connecting PC to Laptop

wumingsden
OK, I have a laptop running Windows XP Pro and a PC running Windows XP Home Edition (SP2). I have tried connceting them both but am having a little trouble.

I want to setup a network so the PC can connect to the laptop to share files, and vise-versa. I run the wizard on my PC and it all goes fine. The PC creates a installer file (I think called NTSEUP or something similar), but the laptop won't install the thing that it needs to install for them both be connected. It says something like "Unable to install"

Is this because they're not both XP Pro? Is there any way I can get around it if it is because of this? Or is there any software on the market that can make my life a little easier to connect them both?

(P.S - When I connect the laptop/PC it says "New Network Connection Found: Limited or No Connectivity". This before I try and use the wizard to connect them both)

Any help would be appreciated
wumingsden.
Bones
Probably the easiest way to 'connect' both computers is to use File Sharing (I assume this is what you want to do), and share the files acorss a network.

Here is a KB article for setting up file sharing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126/en-us

And here is one for troubleshooting common file sharing issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308006/en-us

Good luck!
wumingsden
I cannot connect up the network - do you know any good, simple tut. on how to do this?
Joker68
First, make sure your network cards are installed and using correct drivers. You can test trying to ping 127.0.0.1 on each machine.

Then, to be able to communicate, both computers must be at the same network. I guess you're not using DHCP in your network, so I'll assume that we can use static ip addresses.

Open Network Connections, choose the icon for the network card and right click on it, choosing Properties. Look for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and set an ip address of 10.0.0.1, subnet mask 255.0.0.0 on one machine and ip address 10.0.0.2 subnet mask 255.0.0.0 on another machine.
Now both machines are on the same network (10.0.0.x), with either machine having a specific address (x.x.x.1 and x.x.x.2).

To connect both machines togheter, you must connect them through a switch or hub, or else use a cross-cable. Linking them directly using a "normal" or "straight" network cable won't work.

To ease things, try to disable windows firewall. You can always turn it on again later.

Now try to ping one another. On 10.0.0.1 machine, bring up a command prompt and type "ping 10.0.0.2". You should read something like "Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128" four times.

Otherwise, if you simply want to use the network wizard to connect both machines, pay attention to having network cards running (ping 127.0.0.1) and have the right cable (cross) if you don't have a switch to connect both machines.

Good Luck!
judelover
well before you can be sure to connect these 2 computers( it makes no difference whether they are desktop or laptop or pro or home), make sure
1 you have net adaptors or cards installed in both computers.
2 if you want to connect to the internet, buy another adapter, very cheap cause it costs less than 8 us dollars.
3 buy a net connecting cable THAT CONNECTS 2 COMPUTERS (a twisted cable), not one connects you to the internet, i am not sure whether in your area there are marckets selling such things to your demand, eg the sufficient length and the correct types.
4. if all requirements mentioned above are met, simply connect the 2 computers.
5, on one of the computer, start>control pannel>net setup guide>next>tick yes("...share....")>next>(computer name)next>(workgroup)next>tick "share"next>next, the wizard will now try to connect, then it will ask you if you want to run the guide on every computer, tick the last circle to finish the guide.(because you are running xp on both, no extra setup disk or programs are needed)
6 do the same as in 5 on the other computer.
7 restart both computer if asked to.
8 start the computers and the connection is ok.

how to share files?

on computer a, my computer>disk c>sharing and security/right click and select properties>share>"i still want to share the root of the drive/disk"
>network share and security> check the box "share the folder on the network", type in your preferred name, say desktop drive c, tick "allow web users to make changes to my files", apply>

on computer b, start> net neighbor>on the right column, select view workgroup computers, and find the other computer, say , the name is a, double click to open>you will find a net drive "desktop drive c">right click and select "map the net drive">finish.

open mycomputer and find a net drive called desktop drive c, now youcan use it as if it was a drive on computer b, writing, deleting etc.

the other drivers can be set as above. therefore you can share the 2 computers.

ps, i am not running an os in english, so the terms might not be exact, but the steps are true to your question.

good luck!
mikethm
wumingsden wrote:
I cannot connect up the network - do you know any good, simple tut. on how to do this?

Simple way?

Use UltraVNC instead is my recommendation.

Simply install UltraVNC Server on the PC you want to access.
Install UltraVNC viewer on the PC you want to access from.
Done.

Not only can you access any files on the target system... in fact, you can practically run the target system as if you are at the keyboard.
LethcanAernis
Can you ping each other? have you set up simple sharing?

Home edition has som limitations that is not so good for network.
wumingsden
LethcanAernis wrote:
Can you ping each other? have you set up simple sharing?

Home edition has som limitations that is not so good for network.

No I cannot ping each other.

I had some spare time today so I tried again to setup my network.

This is how I want my netwrok to work:

My laptop is wireless, I want this to connect directly to the net.
My PC is not wireless, I want this to connect to my laptop so it can share it's interent connection.
I want all printers/etc, to be connect to my laptop, which my PC is then able to use when connected to my laptop.
Tee connection is a enthernet cable.

The ethernet cable is linked and printer/etc. I then use the network setup wizard on my laptop first (as this is the "host").

I click Next ---> This PC connects to the internet. Other PC's on my network connect to the internet through this ---> Internet Connection = Wireless Network Connection (Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN) ---> Next ---> Connection that connects this PC to other network PC's = Local Area Connection Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet ---> Next ---> *next I enter PC desciption/name* ---> Next ---> Workname Groups MSHOME ---> Next ---> Turn on File and Printer Sharing ---> Next ---> *suummary of info is shown* ---> Next ---> *takes a while for the configuration to take place* ---> Next --->

Quote:
Cannot Complete the Network Setup Wizard

An error occured during configuration of the network on this computer.
You can configure your network manually, or you can run the wizard again with different settings.

Crying or Very sad

The network setup feature works fine on my PC, but not on my laptop. I however want my PC to be a host, so I cannot make the config. file.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

*P.S - When the ethernet cable is connection a "Limited or No Connectivity" sign is shown. I however guess that this is natural due to the fact that they are not connected properly.

Does anybody know how to manually create a NetSetup.exe file?
vm_yap
have you tried the ICS wizard?

if so just finish the setup by not creating a setup file. same with the other computer. Theres an option in the end of the wizard where your ask to do something sorry can't remember tham and one option is to just finish setting up your computer. If it is the first time to run this your computer will have to restart.

note: choose that your pc is connected directly to the net and all computers will connected to you something option. On the client computer choose connect to a gateway or another computer.

also make sure file and print sharing is enabled.

and on the lan connection property (right click the lan conection on the network connection folder or at the taskbar then properties) check if the "client for microsoft networks" is enabled for both pcs.

hope i help you in some ways
ronald.helpdesk
The differences between the operating systems, has nothing to do with the connectivity issues, if you're working over the tcp-ip protocol, you shouldn't have any problems, just make yourself sure, that your Network interface cards, are working, and properly enabled in the network accounts, that you have the file sharing enabled, an IP adress automatic or manual, is the same thing, and maybe the same workgroup, that's not really neccesary, but, do it anyway.

I don't know what kind of communications media are you using, or if you're over wireless, but basically, that's the kind of stuff that you need, nothing else.

some times, with older switches or routers, and/or, older OS, adding the IPX/SPX protocol helps out resolving the Domain names, but thats only a suggestion.
garionw
Ok, I'm going to take it that you have a wireless router setup at home with both Ethernet and Wi-Fi ports? If so, what make and Brand is it?

I have a wireless and wired network at home. 2 are wireless, 1 with xp pro, and the other with xp home. And there's one wired which has 2000.
wumingsden
garionw wrote:
Ok, I'm going to take it that you have a wireless router setup at home with both Ethernet and Wi-Fi ports? If so, what make and Brand is it?

I have a wireless and wired network at home. 2 are wireless, 1 with xp pro, and the other with xp home. And there's one wired which has 2000.

Connection with my laptop to the net is wireless, connection with my PC to the net is via ethernet.

On my router it says "NetGear". My connection wirelessly (laptop) is called "Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN" and via ethernet (PC) it is called (Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet)
BladeRunner
XP Makes it easy. Connext both machines with a CAT 5 crossover cable. Turn both machines on. Run the Home networking wizard.

It needs be no more complicated than that realy.
wumingsden
BladeRunner wrote:
XP Makes it easy. Connext both machines with a CAT 5 crossover cable. Turn both machines on. Run the Home networking wizard.

It needs be no more complicated than that realy.

Like I said above, my laptop recieves an error. All goes fine on my PC though Rolling Eyes
R2.DETARD
I had a problem like this trying to set up a mac-windows network. I found that it was simply my network card that had the problem. luckily I had a spare one I could test with, and it worked. It has nothing to do with age, the replacement card was from 2000.

Try a new wireless/ethernet card.
If that doesn't work, get a mac Laughing
wumingsden
R2.DETARD wrote:
I had a problem like this trying to set up a mac-windows network. I found that it was simply my network card that had the problem. luckily I had a spare one I could test with, and it worked. It has nothing to do with age, the replacement card was from 2000.

Try a new wireless/ethernet card.
If that doesn't work, get a mac Laughing

After searching around the last three days I have finally fount a place that sells my router/my router network cards, thank god.

I will just have to buy one of these, they only cost 29.99. I didn't really want to due to the fact that after my credit with AOL runs out I'll be changing ISP.
However, the laptop may still have a problem with the network setup wizard. does anybody have any idea's about this?
Zzz.
Hmmm.... Are you sure your laptop's network hardware is fine ? Confused

If i sum up the situation, the laptop is linked to the internet via WiFi and you want to link your desktop to your laptop using an ethernet cable to share all peripherals that are currently set up on your laptop ? am i right ?

If it's the case, i don't know what's wrong with your network, except the laptop's ethernet card maybe (PCMCIA i suppose...)

but that's only a suggestion, i'm not very well used to network settings and configurations. Each time i've tried, whatever the OS (except Linux and MacOS off cource) i did not get any trouble connecting the machines.
ChrisCh
I had a similar problem when setting up my network... I discovered that my firewall (not Windows firewall) was blocking any connection between the computers (both because of port restrictions and other security rules). So to fix it, I just had to reconfigure the firewalls on both computers Smile

Works like a charm now - with file, internet, and printer sharing, and even remote desktop Very Happy
Hogwarts
This is how my network is connected... Just as an example.

Connect your PC to your network hub.
    Connect your modem to your network hub through its Ethernet port.
    Connect your wireless to your network hub.
    Connect your Other PC(s) to your network hub.
    Make sure your laptop(s) is(/are) connected to your wireless.

Add these settings to each PC + Laptop
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    QoS Packet Scheduler
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Then:
Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Click Properties
Click "Use the following IP address"
For IP address type: 192.168.1.xyz (Replace xyz with a number, starting at 1. Must be different for each computer.
For Subnet Mask type (As previously mentioned) 255.255.255.0
For Default Gateway, type in whatever the IP of your modem is (Mine's 192.168.1.254, your's may be different though. It should be in the manual)
For preferred DNS server addresses, the first one should be the IP of your modem, the second should be a different number, not used by any computer on your network. Mine is 192.168.1.255.

Make sure you've done this for each computer and it should work.
blueray
Hi, I'am new to this issuse. Just try to see if this help.

1.) I assume that your wireless connection is good with the access point
2.) disabled any build-in security function ? windows xp by default are disabled network access when first installed. This should be re-enabled from windows explorer -> tools -> options ( something called simple permission )
3.) It should be already installed all the required network components and static IP address and within the same subnet ( just to make sure ) Smile hehe

please ping each others to see if this successful

please let me knew if this it works or not as possible !!

Thanks,
Eric,
wumingsden
It is possible to ping the PC ---> laptop (or vise-versa) when the PC is connected via ethernet to the router. I however want the PC to connect to my laptop, with the laptop connected wirelessly to the router.

WHen I have time (most likely late tonight or tomorrow), I will try all suggestions. I am also recieveing help via PM and will try these suggestions too.
blueray
Hmm.. sorry, bad english Sad So, just to make sure .

wumingsden wrote:
I however want the PC to connect to my laptop, with the laptop connected wirelessly to the router.

with this figture

Right ?

If this do, the connection cable between pc and laptop should use cross type.
wumingsden
blueray wrote:
Hmm.. sorry, bad english Sad So, just to make sure .

wumingsden wrote:
I however want the PC to connect to my laptop, with the laptop connected wirelessly to the router.

with this figture

Right ?

If this do, the connection cable between pc and laptop should use cross type.

Yes, exactly like that.

I'm using a wire that looks like an ethernet cable, but is yellow. A little something like this: http://www.infopackets.com/graphics/ethernet+crossover+cable.gif
blueray
Hi, I have assumed that your laptop have two network adapters.
One wired-ethernet and One wireless-ethernt. If it is,
as you stated before, the problems should come from the cable.

this link should help it much better than my description Smile
http://www.conniq.com/Networking_Cat5wiring2.htm

This is out of topic:
I'am just curious why don't you just connect the PC to router with wired ethernet cable and laptop to router with wireless ethernet connection.
This way, you can just got a straight cable and plug it in and share files even internet connection.

Hope this help Smile
wumingsden
I only do this in cases of emergency. The router has to be downstairs, unfortunately, which means that there is tonnes of wire everywhere when I do connect the PC via etherent to the laptop.
Tomorrow when i go into town, I will probably buy a netwrok adapter for the PC, after finally finding one.
blueray
There are two network dialog. If all the componet works and are as following , then, you just required to change the cable only.

1.) PC have a network adapter or more
2.) Laptop have 2 or more NIC, one for wired, other for wireless
3.) All the computers and router IP address are within same subnet, as
all begins with some same number : 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3

I'am sorry, I missed the IP Address issues.

Hope this help.
ssthanapati
A simple way. use bluetooth. connect a usb bluetooth dongle 2 ur pc. and the laptop will probably have 1 too. use it 2 connect it 2 each other.

or u can use the modems fitted in both 2 connect each other..

i am tellin u 2 use this only if other means fail cause these are not very fast
Hogwarts
wumingsden wrote:
I only do this in cases of emergency. The router has to be downstairs, unfortunately, which means that there is tonnes of wire everywhere when I do connect the PC via etherent to the laptop.
Tomorrow when i go into town, I will probably buy a netwrok adapter for the PC, after finally finding one.

By "netwrok" (Razz) adapter, do you mean a wireless or ethernet one? I'm fairly sure you mean wireless, although I'm not sure.

Getting a wireless network adapter for your PC will fix everything.
wumingsden
Hogwarts wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

By "netwrok" (Razz) adapter, do you mean a wireless or ethernet one? I'm fairly sure you mean wireless, although I'm not sure.

Getting a wireless network adapter for your PC will fix everything.

I mean wireless, and I still haven't got one, although I'm going into town tomorrow to (hopefully) finish my christmas shopping so if I have enough time I will get one then. If I don't then it'll probably then be after christmas before getting one.

However, my PC not having wireless capability does not explain why the laptop cannot complete the network setup wizard. Anyone have any idea's?
garionw
Do are you still stuck?
wumingsden
Yes, although I've just come out of hospital so I haven't given it much thought, to be honest.

Whilst in hospital I used the wards laptop. I connect the wards laptop to my laptop via ethernet. The same error "Limited or No Connection" appeared in my laptop. The wards laptop however showed that there is a good connection. This must mean that settings on my PC and laptop are set to disallow them.

Would anyone be kind enough to post a simple step by step process on enabling my PC and laptop to do what I wish? (I want to connect my laptop to my PC via ethernet cable so they can share files/internet connection (the net connection is done wirelessly through my laptop).
garionw
well if I remember correctly, your Laptop has Windows XP home and your desktop has Windows XP Pro, I have a windows XP home Laptop and its a pain just to do that.

For instance, I have an old Windows 2000 PC that I wanted to use Linux on. but before I did, I had to transfer the documents off it one last time. When I plugged it in (Via a cat5, yellow) It wouldn't work and I got the "A Network Cable is unplugged error" I then took it out (My Laptop) to my other desktop PC It seemed to work.

To network them, heres what I did (Although I'm going through a router)

Goto the Control Panel and then Select System;
Go across the the Computer Name Tab;
Click Change;
Enter MSHOME in the Workgroup feild;
Select OK, Apply, and OK again.
You Might need to restart - let it

Repeat the process on your other computer and then goto the "Home Network Setup" in the Control Panel
Run through that and turn everything on, and repeat that on your other computer.

Hopefully now you can share your files - let me know if that works Wink
wumingsden
My laptop is XP Pro. My PC is XP HE SP2.

I did what you mentioned above. It turns out that they did not have the same workgroup name. I ran the wizard on my laptop first, but it had problems. I got this error message:

Quote:
Cannot complete the Network Setup Wizard

An error occured during configuration of the network on this computer.

You can configure your netwrok manually, or you can run the wizard again with different settings.

I tried again, with the printer sharing turned off. This time it worked. A internet gateway was made. A file was created in removable storage. I ran the file on the PC, choosing the option to connect through the laptop for net access. Seems to have ran fine. However, under "Network Connections" on my laptop I have this:

The internet gateway was created when I ran the wizard. The wireless netwrok connection is the laptops connection to my router. The connection marked red appears when my PC and laptop are connected by ethernet cable. The PC has the same problem with the connection, with the same status.

Does anyone know why this appears?

Now, I have to go into town on thursday. Is it worthwhile in buying a wireless netwoek adapter (I think its called this???) for my PC. I don't want to buy one for it to not work.
Relentless
To Stop the limited or no conectivity sign you must right click the conection > propities, then @ the bottom of the pop-up window there should be a tick box which says "notify me when this has limited or no connectivity"

And i had the same problem as you and i wanted to connect my computer to my sisters computer wirelessly and also the computer plugged into the wireless router.. And i done it! By sharing the shared folder and adding the computers to my workgroup and then doing the same to al the computers.

When you make your workgroup make it a name you can remember as you will need to as your other computers to look for it....

and sorry to say.. i can't remember how i done the work groups lol

hope i been help
DecayClan
1. connect a crossed ethernet cable to the pc and laptop
2. Shut down both firewalls(or customize them)
3. Run the network setup wizards
4. Restart
5. Done

The simplest that can be
DVNT
Hi

Ok,so this might be solved already but if not can I just ask a question.

1)how are you assigning IPs to these computers. I am assuming that the one connected via wireless is using DHCP and what about the other one?

Connecting computers together should easy actually. check the IP address of the wireless IP connection and assign the other computer an IP on the same subnet.
Once they are on the same subnet then they should be able to ping each other. Then check Control Panel>System>Computer name and make sure that both computers are in the same workgroup.

If your problem is still not solved can you post the result from ipconfig /all from both computers in this thread.

DVNT