FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best dSLR and Pont and Shoot Camera?

eday2010
Does anyone know of one (or two) sites that give a definitive list and review of the best point-and-shoot and digital SLR cameras?

Right now I have an HP Photosmart 950 digital camera (5.3MP, 8x optical zoom). The ratings for it are good (not great or excellent), but I think it takes fantasticly clean and crisp photos. It's a bit slow with processing, but that's has as much to do with my none- high speed SD Cards.

I do, in the near future, want to get a digital SLR camera. There are so many different brands that I don't know where to start. I saw two Canon dSLR cameras at Best Buy the other day. One was 10.2 MP for $1099 CDN, and the other was 8.2 MP for $1649. Except for the alloy body and 5 shots per second shooting instead of 3 on the more expensive one, they seemed to be identical in lens and features. So buy the huge price difference?

Unless I break my HP (again) in the near future, at which point I'd probably get a Powershot S3 IS, I want to hold out and save up enough for a good dSLR that doesn't cost many thousands. Anyone have a dSLR that they swear by? Or a site for good honest rankings? Now that I don't have to develop film anymore, I am starting to make photography a hobby.
william
Well, I don't know about list, but Cnet has some really nice reviews. You can kind of have a list of the "best" by arranging the cameras by rating. You can visit Cnet here.

My personal recommendation for an SLR would either be the Nikon D80 (10 Megapixels) or the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (8 Megapixels). There are a lot of other nice dSLR's out there. I could list more if you want.
eday2010
A list would be great. There are so many by so many well-known companies (Canon, Pentax, Nikon, etc). I just don't know where to start! But I'll start at cNet Smile
henrynielson
Hi- There are a number of sites that will give you a recommended list for a point and shoot, and a DSLR. http://www.popphoto.com (Product Buying Guide) is a good one, as well as http://www.imaging-resource.com/ (look under Dave's Picks).

As a caveat, the more you read up on these cameras the more confused you get about which one to buy.

By far the best point and shoot camera out there (IMO) is the Canon SD800 IS. Its a little pricey, but has a great wide lens, simple interface, tiny enough to fit in your pocket and can print out usable 13 x 19" at ISO 100 to 200, 11 x 14" at ISO 400 5 x 7" images at ISO 800, plus it has image stabilization to boot. What is it lacking? Manual control over shutter and aperture. But this can easily be overcome by using the spot metering to get the correct exposure, exposure lock by pressing the shutter half way down, and then recomposing.
The best DSLR system always boils down to the user and not the camera itself; in otherwords, some cameras are better for portraiture, some for sports, and some for specialty needs like infared shooting.

If you currently have a good inventory of older lenses that currently work with a DSLR system then I recommend buying that DSLR irregardless of the reviews, because the lens is arguably more important (and oftentimes more expensive) then the camera itself.

If you are buying a DSLR for the first time, then there are plenty of great choices for you. If you like smooth images without much grain you cannot beat the Canon Rebel. Canon also makes arguably some of the best lenses. If you like a lot of creative control on the fly and are looking to upgrade to a small portrait lighting system get the Canon 30D. Go to this website: http://www.dchelper.org and they will sell you a Canon 30D 17-85mm lens with IS and a 4 GB compact flash card for $1299 plus shipping. That doesn't sound like that great of a deal until you send in for the rebate for $230. So for a total retail value of $1900 you are getting a semi-pro camera for $1069! I do not work for this website, but I found them and like them because their products are donated by Canon and Nikon and the proceeds from their sales go to charity. I am planning on buying this system and when I need a highline lens, (L series) I will rent it from an online merchant like http://www.rentglass.com/shop.aspx?type=Canon
There are a lot of reasons to buy a Nikon, one of which is the great focusing systems, but the Canon systems are very fast (for my needs).
What I like about canon is that it comes with a RAW image converter and with Nikon you have to buy it seperatly.

Also, if you want a DSLR system that has shake reduction built in, then you cannot go wrong with the new Pentax K10D for $999. It is weather sealed, 10 Megapixel, and has a lot of creative control (dedicated buttons and dials for customizing exposure, etc...) It also uses a conservitave approach to noise reduction so your images are sharper than the canon's but will show more noise than the canon at ISO 1600.
Hope this helps.
Agustinus
eday2010 wrote:
Does anyone know of one (or two) sites that give a definitive list and review of the best point-and-shoot and digital SLR cameras?

hope this url can help u, www.dpreview.com, that's a lot review of cameras in from many vendor.
eday2010
Sweet! Thanks, guys. Looks like I have some reading to do:)

I got confused as hell when reading up on point-and-shoot cameras last summer before I finally bought my HP Photosmart 960.

I don't own any SLR lenses, but I think my dad still has his from when he was into photography many years ago. Maybe he'll give me a deal on them if he wants to sell them. I know the body of his camera is broken and he doesn't want to spend the money on fixing it.
mimsxmassacre
if you're worried about price, i would go with the canon rebel xti

if not, go for the canon mark II

High performance digital SLR with 10.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor and DIGIC II Image processor.

Large 2.5-inch LCD monitor with new user interface and wide viewing angle. Fast 3 frames-per-second shooting with 27-frame burst and a 0.2 second startup time. High precision, wide area 9-point autofocus system.

Picture Style settings for a broad range of control over color, contrast and sharpening. Print/Share button featuring advanced camera direct capabilities for greater user control while direct printing.

EOS Integrated Cleaning System featuring a Self Cleaning Sensor Unit

Fully compatible with over 60 EF and EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories
spacer
spacer
spacer
Compact and Powerful.
High performance digital SLR with 10.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor and DIGIC II Image processor.
spacer

10.1 Megapixel APS-C Size CMOS Sensor
Canon's large-area CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) sensor captures images with exceptional clarity and tonal range, and offers the most pixels in its class. This APS-C size sensor (22.2 x 14.8mm) has the same 3:2 ratio as film cameras, enabling an effective angle of view that is 1.6x the normal EF Lens focal length. With an effective pixel resolution of 3,904 x 2,598, the EOS Digital Rebel XTi offers superb detail and clarity, even in large prints, and generates finished files that open at approximately 30MB in your image-editing software. On Canon's CMOS sensor, each pixel is captured with fine detail to create images of tremendous depth and resolution, ensuring enough information for even poster-sized prints.
10.1 Megapizel CMOS Sensor
10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor

DIGIC II Image Processor
The EOS Digital Rebel XTi is the product of Canon's extensive in-house development: The DIGIC II Image Processor was designed specifically for Canon digital SLR cameras and enhances every aspect of image capture. Information captured by the CMOS sensor is processed and assembled into images of exceptional quality. With the DIGIC II Image Processor on board, photographers can expect natural color reproduction, precise white balance in any number of lighting situations and unparalleled clarity. The DIGIC II Image Processor employs sophisticated signal processing algorithms and works at greater speeds, all while consuming less energy.
orno
i referred to dpreview.com before i finally chose. i was looking for an entry level dSLR, and after a lot of thinking i narrowed it down to either the Nikon D40x or the Canon EOS 400d. I couldn't see any standout feature in either of them to help me make my decision, so in the end I went to an electronics store and held both of them. In the end, my deciding factor was that the Nikon "felt" better in my hand, and had a more natural grip and menu system.

My point is, when you are planning to buy something as expensive as a dSLR or an LCD tv etc, make sure you see it in real too, and dont just rely on reviews online Smile

(The other deciding factor was that Nikon had a 90 cash-back offer then Wink)
cvkien
today i was ready to buy a prosumer camera, the lumix fz18 but the stock is finish in the whole country!! I have no idea what i should do. I really love that camera. sigh~
xbcd
If i Were you i would buy a point and shoot Cannon based on the Digic2 chipset cause then you can use the CHDK alternative firmware and add RAW support and stuff like that. http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page that is the website and here are all the supported models.
Powershot:
A460, Fw: 1.00d
A560, Fw: 1.00a
A570, Fw: 1.00e, 1.01a
A610, Fw: 1.00e, 1.00f, (1.00d with CHDK version for 1.00e)
A620, Fw: 1.00f ( 1.00e is not compatible. You must upgrade to 1.00f first (see here))
A630, Fw: 1.00c
A640, Fw: 1.00b
A650 IS, Fw: 1.00d
A700, Fw: 1.00b
A710 IS, Fw: 1.00a
A720 IS, Fw: 1.00c
S2 IS, Fw: 1.00e, 1.00f, 1.00g, (1.00i with CHDK version for 1.00g)
S3 IS, Fw: 1.00a
G7, Fw: 1.00e, 1.00g, 1.00i, 1.00j
SD450 (IXUS55), Fw: 1.00b, 1.00c
SD500 (IXUS700), Fw: 1.01a, 1.01b
SD700 (IXUS800), Fw: 1.00b, 1.01b
SD800 (IXUS850), Fw: 1.00e
SD1000 (IXUS70), Fw: 1.01b, 1.02a
cvkien
normally review is not enough for me. i normally survey camera in flickr.com, looking for type of photo they can take, let say night shot, macro shot, out door shot, portrait shot, action shot and so on. i think that is more real than just review by someone they can professional. of cause, you have to view also those review for you to know more about that camera. normally if i needed those review, i'll use google, just type in the camera types and it will show a lot of site that had the camera review. I am not just depends on 1 site. i'll refer to maybe 2 to 3 sites to compare. in flickr.com, you can see tons of photographs and how they take, and you can expect what kind of camera your camera can function to, then you see their properties if it can do it, also, you can always use that to see the ranking of the camera use in flickr.com.
justtj
the best camera in DSLR is a full format camera, can give around 64 megapixel resolution Very Happy
but to be honest, a can be only as good as the person operating it.