FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Installing Wordpress?

The Mitchell
Could anyone help me with installing wordpress. i cant seem to work out how to setup the database to work properly. i know nothing about databases either. im afraid im a beginner at this but pretty quick to learn if anyone can help.
degenre
In your Control Panel, click on "Manage Databases"..
Create a new database specifying name, username and password..
Once database has been setup, it will give you overview of details to access database which should be:

- Database name (name of the database)
- Host Adress (mostly always localhost)
- DB Username (the username you specified to acess the database)
- Db Password (the password you specified to access the database)

Copy this info into text file and save..

Those 4 details are all that you need to install wordpress.. When you run the installation of wordpress, the first thing it will ask if for those details.. once you have entered those details and wordpress is installed successfully, you don't need to worry about anthing else to do with the database..

If you would like to view the actual database, you can enter phpMyAdmin (link is also in your Control PAnel) and click on the database name you specified when creating the database, and then can view all tables and data stored by wordpress in your database..

Well i hope this helps Wink ask any questions if you get stuck yo
wumingsden
Edit: the above method also works. I guess I'm a little slow at typing Embarassed

The Mitchell wrote:
Could anyone help me with installing wordpress. i cant seem to work out how to setup the database to work properly. i know nothing about databases either. im afraid im a beginner at this but pretty quick to learn if anyone can help.

to create a database go to http://mokita.frih.net:2222/CMD_DB_CREATE?DOMAIN=mokita.frih.net

Use the following:

Quote:
Database Name: themitch_wordpress
Database Username: themitch_wordpress
Username Password: your password
Confirm Password: repeat your password

Upload the wordpress software to your account

Rename the wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php

Edit the wp-config.php file to include your database information

Visit wp-admin/install.php in your broswer (for example www.yoursite.frih.net/wp-admin/install.php or www.yoursite.frih.net/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php

Follow the simple on-screen steps

I can install it for you if you cannot. PM me your hosting details (or just the password will do) and the place where you want it installed (like in a "blog" or "wordpress" directory
The Mitchell
excellent stuff. had a few probs at first but it was simply case sensitivity. thanks guys muchly appreciated.
Now to get the hang of the rest of it Very Happy
GoldenStar
It was a great help for me to install wordpress.

Thank's wumingsden.
mcqquestions
Can i upload .zip file of wordpress or I've to upload all files one by one of wordpress directory into my account? is this possible to upload one single zip file of wordpress and unzip and start installing..? is this possible..? and I don't have cpanel.. I'm getting direct admin.. is this same steps for direct admin too..?

Thanks,
Ganesh
jmlworld
mcqquestions wrote:
Can i upload .zip file of wordpress or I've to upload all files one by one of wordpress directory into my account? is this possible to upload one single zip file of wordpress and unzip and start installing..? is this possible..? and I don't have cpanel.. I'm getting direct admin.. is this same steps for direct admin too..?

Thanks,
Ganesh

I think Direct Admin can extract only gzipped files (example .tar.gz).

But you can download WordPress and extract it into your desktop and then use FTP to copy your extracted files in frih.net:222/CMD_FILE_MANAGER/domains/yourdomain.frih.net/public_html

Hope this helps
Fire Boar
It's probably faster to gzip the files yourself - if you don't have software that can create tar.gz files then 7zip is a good non-shareware option that supports tons of formats. Uploading the uncompressed files via FTP or (horror of horrors) HTTP is likely to be much slower.

Isn't this thread a bit old though?
jmlworld
Fire Boar wrote:
It's probably faster to gzip the files yourself - if you don't have software that can create tar.gz files then 7zip is a good non-shareware option that supports tons of formats. Uploading the uncompressed files via FTP or (horror of horrors) HTTP is likely to be much slower.

Isn't this thread a bit old though?

Yes, even he can the free trial version of Winrar if he's on Windows. Although uploading 3MB via HTTP is more painful than uploading uncompressed files via FTP. FTP uploads files one by one.
ULLE-GOOOSCh
I haved problem with that too than you guys for a good support!Smile