FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DOS mode

aningbo
Does anyone know how to start a computer through the DOS mode without using startup disk or USB drives but directly from the Hard disk??

I have heard about this but never know how to do it? sounds weird but some ppl says its possible though never got any chance to talk to them about the tutorial?
dule
what version of windows do u have?

if u have 98/me just boot in the dos mode, otherwise (for xp) i think ul need a startup disk. if u don't have one, just go to a friend's computer and make one Very Happy
aningbo
at present i'm luking out for any version. just wanted to know how's it done.

as i said, without using a startup disk or any external drives but using only hard disk. hey wat do u mean by boot the disk. how do u do that in me/98??
Simulator
Well what do you want to do?
Texas Al
Sure it's possible. One possibility is to install DOS 6.X on a partition and use a boot-manager to make that one of the partitions you can boot from. There may be a way to have a DOS directory right on your C drive and add that to your Windows native boot manager but I don't know the syntax for doing that. Either way, "real" DOS can't access NTFS file systems (but if you google for dos and ntfs I'm sure you'll find a free utility that gives DOS that ability. But do you really need DOS? You can boot every version of Windows in command-line mode by pressing F8 during bootup and choosing "command prompt" (or whatever) from the menu. In Windows 2k and XP it will actually boot into safe-mode Windows with a big command-line session in the middle of the screen, but that should be enough for the job.

I'm assuming you want to do this for debugging/troubleshooting purposes?
dule
Texas Al wrote:
You can boot every version of Windows in command-line mode by pressing F8 during bootup and choosing "command prompt" (or whatever) from the menu.

i don't think it's possible from xp, at least ot for me.
aningbo
that means i need to format the system again... forget that idea. anyway was hoping to do it in 200o/xp to extract some system files as it can't be done in windows environment. thanx guys....
aningbo
but hey does anyone knows if there is a possibility to copy system files. whenever i try from the windows mode, i get shring error. anyone?
Texas Al
You don't need to install DOS on your HD for that.

Just look for a bootdisk with NTFS support on http://www.bootdisk.com/, boot from that, and copy anything you want to anyplace you want.
aningbo
ghosh... let me repeat again....lol

i actually need to copy some system files from the windows mode without using startup disk or any external devices!!!
mOrpheuS
dule wrote:
Texas Al wrote:
You can boot every version of Windows in command-line mode by pressing F8 during bootup and choosing "command prompt" (or whatever) from the menu.

why is not possible to boot into safe mode with command prompt in xp ? Shocked

Let me see...you need to overwrite some system files (which you can't do by booting normal into windows) and you are not to use any other boot device...right ?
If that's the case, I think Texas Al has suggested pretty much all that can be done.

Try hitting F8 right after the boot sequence reaches the harddisk (when the monitor goes blank after the BIOS self tests) and you should be presented with a menu of startup options.
just "safe mode" would be sufficient for overwriting many sytem files which are inaccessible for this purpose during normal computer usage.

or you can always unscrew your hard disk, take it over to a friends and overwrite all that you want.
Wink
dule
mOrpheuS wrote:
dule wrote:
Texas Al wrote:

why is not possible to boot into safe mode with command prompt in xp ? Shocked

Let me see...you need to overwrite some system files (which you can't do by booting normal into windows) and you are not to use any other boot device...right ?
If that's the case, I think Texas Al has suggested pretty much all that can be done.

Try hitting F8 right after the boot sequence reaches the harddisk (when the monitor goes blank after the BIOS self tests) and you should be presented with a menu of startup options.
just "safe mode" would be sufficient for overwriting many sytem files which are inaccessible for this purpose during normal computer usage.

or you can always unscrew your hard disk, take it over to a friends and overwrite all that you want.
Wink

yes, u can boot it in safe mode, but how to get into pure command-line mode, the one like old dos (without even loading windows)? (without startup disc)
Texas Al
Is your floppy drive broken or something? Or is it a laptop?

If it's a laptop with no floppy drive and no CDROM, you could buy a USB floppy or CDROM drive. They're not very expensive if you buy them used and/or generic brand.

If you do have a CDROM but no floppy, just get and burn Ultimate Boot CD or Knoppix and do your file copyin/overwriting that way.

You're right that if you boot Windows into safe-commandline, it might still prevent you from fully accessing certain system files.

There is some kind of program out there that lets you specify what to delete, rename, move or overwrite and it does that for you on bootup before the OS loads. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the name of it is. When I do, I'll post.
aningbo
mOrpheuS BOSS, u r wrong once in your life time....lol

honestly, the system files cant be copied from the safe mode. thank you for taking the trouble and posting.

it can only be copied (there may be possible methods though) only by using startup disk. all i ask was that but got no reply so far. i guess its just not possible....
Kyle Katarn
Do you have the 2000/XP recovery console? If so, you can boot into that. If not, and you are still capable of booting Windows on that machine with networking, you can install in from the Microsoft website. If you will post more specifics about your situation, I may be able to help you more.
aningbo
hey thanx. i'm actually luking for a tutorial to work with 2000.

i luk for that console thing and post more. thank you.
klingoncowboy4
I am reviving an older comp and am thinking of putting freeDOS32 on it. Does anyone know if win3.x will work on it or not? For your DOS problem NT versions (winNT, win2K, XP and onwards) of Windows do not have DOS on them (without startup disk or w/e) 9.x versions (95, 98, 98se, ME) continue the 3.x style and use DOS to load. That is why they have an "MS-DOS Mode".
webbone
I think you can install double system,Dos and other system,So you start get a boot menu,You can select system what you want login!
ParK
dude forget it about 'cause dos cannot reach NTFS system !!!
bananaphone
i think there is a setting in msconfig - press WINDOWS-R and type msconfig and press enter
budazz
Simulator wrote:
Well what do you want to do?

Quote:
Does anyone know how to start a computer through the DOS mode without using startup disk or USB drives but directly from the Hard disk??

I have heard about this but never know how to do it? sounds weird but some ppl says its possible though never got any chance to talk to them about the tutorial?

read thats what he want to do...