FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop to Desktop Connection problem

Tokci
I'm having some prob connecting my laptop to a desktop comp.
For connecting I use a cable (twisted or not I really don;t know). I do get connected and when I view computers in the network neighbourhood I can see the desktop (and viceversa).

But the problem is when I try to copy nefile from laptop to desktop it gives access denied error. I can view the files but cannot copy them. Both the systems have Win XP.

For the laptop I use Administrator login and for the desktop I've a standard user id. Can this be source of the prob? Do I need to get admin login for both the comps...its really frustating...I can see the files but can;t copy them.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thnx.
Animal
Have you enabled the option to "Allow remote users to change my files" on your shared files? If you don't enable this, you will be able to copy a file from a remote computer to your current PC, but you could not copy files from your current PC to the remote computer.
Tokci
where is that option?

I've given full control in the permissions, but still no luck.
Another interesting thing happened...I was able to copy a file from my laptop but when I clicked on a directory it gave access denied error.
Animal
Tokci wrote:
where is that option?

Right-click on the shared folder (from the computer it's stored on), hit SHARING AND SECURITY and change the options from here.
Jaan
Make sure windows firewall is disabled. Right click on network icon and click properties, then advanced and firewall, then make sure everything is unchecked and firewall is off on both computers.
Cheers.
Tokci
firewall is already disabled for both the computers. still is giving the same error.
Tokci
Animal wrote:
"Allow remote users to change my files"

There is no such option here Question . When I click on the sharing and security I see 2 button Permissions and caching.

I've changed the permissions to "Full Control", but no luck.
johanfh
If you just want to synchronize or copy the files and you don't care about the technical problem, you could simply install VNC or UltraVNC on both computers. Then you don't need to bother about the XP firewall or shared folders and you can even work on your desktop-pc from within your laptop.
These programs have built-in filetransfer.

JohanFH
Tokci
yep all i want to do is to copy some files from my laptopn to the desktop...will surely give VNC a try.

I suppose VNC is something like remote desktop...right...will I be able to transfer file using that.
johanfh
Yes, you will be. VNC simply has a filetransfericon on top of the machine you're remotely viewing, so that's very easy.

JohanFH