FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Networking - how my browser works on DNS

D'Artagnan
Hello there how are u all going...

Ok, how DNS works i know, the hierarchy of the DNS servers and the comunications blah blah...

but how does my browser know where do it need to search first cuz, so u say the first look-up is made upon my ISP, but there are many ISPs, how do my browser know the address to search for at the first connection...
D'Artagnan
Quote:
To do this, your browser queries a program called a name server. The name server may live on your machine, but it's more likely to run on a service machine that yours talks to. When you sign up with an ISP, part of your setup procedure will almost certainly involve telling your Internet software the IP address of a nameserver on the ISP's network.

The name servers on different machines talk to each other, exchanging and keeping up to date all the information needed to resolve hostnames (map them to IP addresses). Your nameserver may query three or four different sites across the network in the process of resolving www.tldp.org, but this usually happens very quickly (as in less than a second). We'll look at how nameservers detail in the next section.

Good... Very Happy - someone had ever setup a nameserver ??? i think it such a automatic thing now, did it had something to do with DHCP????