FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


How many people actually have an HDTV?






Do you own or plan to own an HDTV?
Yes!
40%
 40%  [ 14 ]
No.
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]
No, but I plan to purchase one within the next 6 months.
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 35

QrafTee
This might belong in the Television and Movies discussion, but I'm putting it hear since so many people (from other forums) like bashing the Wii because it doesn't support HDTV resolutions. I'm poor and I don't have one, nor does many of my friends (I can't even recall one what does have one to be honest).

So how many of you gamers and non-gamers alike actually own an HDTV? If so, is it really necessary to be able to see the zits and scars of Link or every strand of yellow and brown hair Pikachu has?
FaLLeN
I dont think i will in the near future.

I mean if i was older with a steady job and stuff i would have a good think about it, but at the moment a new PC is what i want.

I might be getting a job though, around christmas, so that could change how things will work out. Wink
bigdan
I don't at the moment, only have a SDTV box hooked up to my little TV, currently all it gets is ABC, SBS and Southern Cross Ten's services. Apparently Prime and NBN are coming out here next year with their digital services...and about bloody time too! Razz

I might get a HDTV of some sort when I save up a bit and find one on special somewhere.
traxion
a HDTV... way should i

i dont got on PS3 or XBOX360 (i think them to expensive and a game for 70.- is way to much(for 30 hour gameplay))


movies dont come out for HDTV (then u need a blueray of HD player) and they are still in develpment

no singele program on the tv is send as HDtv. almost all is still 4:3 and not 16:9

so way pay much for somethink u dont use

over 10 jears when i need a new TV i buy a HDTV. then i realy need it
amusic
I don't really need a HDTV because I felt satisty with my current CRT TV. I only use the TV to watch TV shows.
Fenroy
Yeah, I don't think I'm going to buy one. Too expensive. I would rather just get a widescreen plasma TV than a HDTV. Besides, I just spent $600+ on a new PC that will keep me plenty occupied for awhile. I'm not much for console games, so a HDTV isn't that necessary for me. I play a few console games, but not enough on systems that support HDTV to go out and buy one. Maybe I'll get one once more programs are broadcast in HD, but for now, I'm happy with my TV.
Virgo
I've got a HDTV,


the quality is perfect,

it's not cheap but i'm not poor so i bought one and it's beautiful
AG007
Umm. nope no buying one, for now.
My labtop has my occupied for now, besides it has a 1680 x 1050 resolution.
I can watch HDTV movies or programs here if I would like to.
driftingfe3s
I'd love to have one as well, but I don't think my parents would shell out the money to get one considering they just bought my brother a new car. I think for me to have a HDTV it will be after I get my self a job after I graduate this year. Hopefully prices will come down even more for HDTVs.
Juparis
I'm an avid gamer, but I don't think having an HDTV should be necessary to enjoy a game (no matter what console it's on). Right now I do not have an HDTV--I'm still using the good ol' CRT's, and probably will until they all break. Then I might upgrade. But just to see a few extra pixels of detail? Too expensive.

It is nice, though, to see the difference between a CRT and HD plasma. But until it's more widely supported (and much, much cheaper), I won't buy one.
gameantics
I don't have an HDTV nor do I really need one as of right now. The only thing is, I heard that the government(at least in the United States) is making television broadcasters switch to HDTV signals within the next two years so anyone without an HDTV will have issues. Luckily, a cheap converter can be bought in order to keep older televisions. I have no idea how this will effect the console market or consoles in general or if it will even have an effect though. Hopefully things will get straightened out soon. As a side note, I also heard that the old television frequencies will be auctioned off so things might spawn out of that as well Cool
ItsWesley
I don't have a HDTV but my dad has a TV that accepts VGA, but strangely doesn't accept component...
jay84h
I have a HDTV, the quality is top notch!
Seiji
I have a HDTV. Its alright when playing video games but I don't notice much of a difference when watching tv.
Ghengis
If you don't notice the difference, you either have a really crappy HDTV, or a really crappy video source. When I got mine, I wasn't that impressed with most of the TV I watched on it (360 games were another story), but the difference between the stuff you can watch on an SD channel and, say, Heroes in HD, is night and day.
jay84h
Ghengis wrote:
If you don't notice the difference, you either have a really crappy HDTV, or a really crappy video source. When I got mine, I wasn't that impressed with most of the TV I watched on it (360 games were another story), but the difference between the stuff you can watch on an SD channel and, say, Heroes in HD, is night and day.


I would agree on that note. If you do not notice a difference then obviously the HDTV is not good quality or your using a video source that isn't very good.
Patriot Players
HDTVs are awesome, but still too pricy for me. If anyone feels like giving me the money for one I will happy give you a more in depth writeup of my reactions to it Rolling Eyes
mynameis
Yes I have a HDTV, its a Monitor that runs the resolution 1280x1024 in progressive scan at 75htz Its a PC monitor that I bought ages ago for 60. I think this shows how little people know about HDTV, what HD really is; all HD is is big screen resolutions and unlimited colour so anything over the width screen pixels 1280 is HD! so most new monitors 17" plus CRT or TFT are HD! This is useally a perfect solution for Gamers playing the new next generations of consoles (360/PS3) but not realisticly perfect for the lounge gamer (size reasons) but bedroom gamers who sit close to their screen like/as you do with a pc.

Also people forget about that to run things in HD they also have to have a HD source eg and Xbox 360 using a HD cable or HD TV provider such as SKY HD or even a HDDVD or BlueRay DVD player. What I find quite annoying is that many TV stores don't display Their HD TVs using a HD source and use analouge!! grr!

Finaly I think if you compare the difference between HD and SD its a major difference and alot better! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Handyman
I have a 42" plasma HDTV with HD cable, upconverting dvd player and a 6.1 DTS/DD. I built a new fireplace surround and cabinets, then mounted the tv over the fireplace. I love HD!

william
Well, I have a 720p LCD TV. Quality is rather decent, but I rarely get any HD content displayed on it anyway. 480p is usually what I watch on it, however 720p brodcasts look really nice. I am planning on purchasing a 1080p Plasma sometime within the next 4-8 months. It will cost me a fortune, but I guess I'm willing to pay for it. By then, I should have a Wii and maybe a Playstation 3. I am a gamer, and all of my consoles look fine on an EDTV or SDTV, they only look a bit better on the 720p TV.
schooldays
I have an HD-ready TV, I just have never seen the HD features for it, as I don't have any HD-using things for it. I am hoping to get an HD camera (1080i, I think), so that will test it.
fashioncrimewave
i'm not a "videophile" so i don't really care, but once regular TV broadcasts go away in the US, i'm sure that cable / satellite providers will be soon to follow, so I'm sure I'll have to buy one within the next few years.
roach831
i have a 50'' Samsung HDTV Plasma 1080i and i use it to play whatever i want it also has a built in screen burn protection that shifts pixels around every minute and has game mode so it looks a little bit more clear, i play my Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, And My 1,000 Watt Surround Sound, and with my computer connected to it so its louder
mynameis
Now thats just boasting -- joke

Quote:
i have a 50'' Samsung HDTV Plasma 1080i and i use it to play whatever i want it also has a built in screen burn protection that shifts pixels around every minute and has game mode so it looks a little bit more clear, i play my Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, And My 1,000 Watt Surround Sound, and with my computer connected to it so its louder


Very Happy Very Happy [/quote]
brokenadvice
I ok my dad has a sony 30 inch CRT HDTV. It has one of the most vibrant and clear pictures of any Hi Def TV I have ever seen. The best part is it was only $800. (The downside is it weighs somewhere near 150 pounds, so I hope I never have to move it)
garionw
mynameis wrote:
Yes I have a HDTV, its a Monitor that runs the resolution 1280x1024 in progressive scan at 75htz Its a PC monitor that I bought ages ago for 60. I think this shows how little people know about HDTV, what HD really is; all HD is is big screen resolutions and unlimited colour so anything over the width screen pixels 1280 is HD! so most new monitors 17" plus CRT or TFT are HD! This is useally a perfect solution for Gamers playing the new next generations of consoles (360/PS3) but not realisticly perfect for the lounge gamer (size reasons) but bedroom gamers who sit close to their screen like/as you do with a pc.

Also people forget about that to run things in HD they also have to have a HD source eg and Xbox 360 using a HD cable or HD TV provider such as SKY HD or even a HDDVD or BlueRay DVD player. What I find quite annoying is that many TV stores don't display Their HD TVs using a HD source and use analouge!! grr!

Finaly I think if you compare the difference between HD and SD its a major difference and alot better! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy


Firstly, I think putting your entire message in bold is against the rules. Second, the orignal poster asked if you have HDTV, for the Play Station and X-Box

I think my TV is HD ready, but its only a Panasonic 107cm, which does the job!
QrafTee
I don't know. Some kiosk use HDTV to show off the graphics in the best way possible and I'm just like, "Wow... that's nice, but nothing near as impressive as people boast about." Maybe when local air channels are extinct, HDTV will be more affordable and used as a standard. Now, I don't see it as a standard, more like a luxery.
DSGamer3002
I don't have an HDTV. I'm too poor to get one. Crying or Very sad If I had the money, I'd definitely buy one. Better graphics does add value to a video game, as well as couch potatoing. Razz
mynameis
Quote:
Firstly, I think putting your entire message in bold is against the rules. Second, the orignal poster asked if you have HDTV, for the Play Station and X-Box

I think my TV is HD ready, but its only a Panasonic 107cm, which does the job!


I think garionw should get over himself.. lol

and by the way my HD display does class as a HDTV as it is capable of displaying video on a resolution which has pixel width of 1280 running progressive scan @ 60Hz which is the specifications of the HD Ready Video format 720p the only thing it lacks is widescreen...

secondly the playstation 2 can display HD at all without an external scaler that only scales the image into a HD resolution... i'm not sure but I think the original xbox can display 480p but the xbox 360 can scale the original games up to 720.
Ghengis
Original Xbox was capable of 720p and 1080i, but *very* few games used it. The dashboard did, as well as a few homebrew apps, notably XBox Media Center (XBMC). It was a great way to play back HD video over the network... I wish mine hadn't died.
el sol
I really hope to have one ^^
linkman2004
I personally don't own an HDTV(don't own a TV period, for that matter), but my oldest brother owns one, and we basically share it, since we share a room. It's just a basic 26", but it's still pretty sweet.
Related topics
I'd love ASP.NET support
So is everyone here using HTML coding???
PlayStation 3
Coca-Cola vs. Pepsi
Who uses photoshop?
Whos The Best Drummer?
WHAT IS THE LIMIT OF HOSTING ACOUNT?
Refilling Printer Ink Cartridges
Who really thinks Wikipedia is accurate?
70 Virgins!
PHP certification
What's your favourite dish? (food)
My stang
Pictures in signature
My Sister's Son
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.