FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CompTIA A+ Certification, Advice

horseatingweeds
Advice

Has anyone obtained their CompTIA A+ certification? I didn’t know there was such a certification until I saw it on job applications. Now I am interested in getting the basic one on hardware and OS.

I have been researching it and it looks like I am very familiar with all of the subjects it covers. I also found a book that I like and am ordering that helps you train and prepare for the test.

If you have taken the test, how was it?

Has anyone found this certification to be helpful?
eepman
You may want to do it quickly, I heard that they are changing the format and structure of the test pretty soon.

I don't have it, but I might get it sometime soon.
ocalhoun
I've taken a class that was designed to prepare one for the test, but I've never taken the test. Pretty much, it's basic computer knowledge, except for trivial things that nobody really uses, such as default IRQ assignments.
cruzo
Yes is a very good thing to have that certificate
Try brainbench, and if you can affort it get it.
(www.brainbench.com)

You can take the test and maybe you can take it for free when you register in the site.
coreymanshack
Is there anywhere that has lots of certification certificates up for grabs? I want to take every possible one, and I'd be willing to pay. What exactly are certifications for?
ghfurniture
If you go to the CompTIA site they should be able to locate a local testing center for you. They are changing the format to 1 core test and, I think it was, 2 elective tests ... however if you've been using computers for a few years I reckon it is an easy pass, although there are lots of legacy stuff and is slightly microsoft windows based (usually dos commands and such)

I think most CompTIA certifications are qualifications for technician positions
coreymanshack
ghfurniture wrote:
If you go to the CompTIA site they should be able to locate a local testing center for you. They are changing the format to 1 core test and, I think it was, 2 elective tests ... however if you've been using computers for a few years I reckon it is an easy pass, although there are lots of legacy stuff and is slightly microsoft windows based (usually dos commands and such)

I think most CompTIA certifications are qualifications for technician positions

thanks.