FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dream Theater

hsadmin
I haven't seen many people on here that listen to dream theater. For anyone who likes metal, I think you should deffinitly check them out. There guitarist ( well one of them ) John Petrucci ( SP? ) is crazy. I think he's better than steve vai Surprised

You can listen to a couple of there songs by going to www.myspace.com/dreamtheaterfans

If you like guitar solos, this is deffinitly a great band to listen to.
Sinangel
yes, dream theater is an awsome band, lots of good solos and a nice clean vocal.

Ive been listening to them for atleast a good 4 years, and im still not bored with any of the songs, espesialy not glass prison and a change of seasons.
poland21489
Dream Theater is actually what turned me on to metal. Petrucci is a phenomenal guitarist, and i just cant get enough of those solid, clean vocals. The whole progressive metal thing really sets them aparts from anything else I listen to, so they're always a breath of fresh air in any playlist. But yeah, it seems few people are aware of them or appreciate their musical value.
hsadmin
poland21489 wrote:
. Petrucci is a phenomenal guitarist.

Yea he is. I wish to be like him somday ( a freakin crazy guitarist ).. There's no way I'll be anywhere near as good as him. You can actually understand what he says, yes. And they set the frequencys, so everything comes out perfect. I don't understand why such a little amount of people listen to them. The get more popular every year, but, people.. IDK. Must really only like freakin hip-hop rap so called 'HIT MUSIC'!
ThornsOfSorrow
Although I can't really agree with what some have said about not many people knowing about Dream Theater (they're without a doubt the most popular progressive metal band), I do love them. They're all phenomenal musicians, and they know exactly how to use their talent. I also love James' voice, despite the popular opinion that the rest of the guys in the band are too good for him. His vocal style adds more uniqueness to the music, in my opinion.

By the way, since this is a Dream Theater topic, some of you may find this video funny: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SKMYeXkYcgs. Someone (obviously) recorded over Petrucci's voice, making him say things that I find hilarious.
hsadmin
hahaha..

'I play so fast, I melt the strings'

'I play over 400 beats a second' AHAHAHAHA!

HOTTER THAN THE SUN!
Archetype
I love Dream Theater. I was so pissed when I lost their discography on my computer (all their albums, plus all their fan club stuff).

I first heard them about 5 years ago when my brother brought home 'Live Scenes From New York' DVD. I was amazed at how technically skilled each one of their members were. Each one is a virtuoso on their own right. I was amazed at how damn technical, and clean Mike Protnoy's playing is. The end of Finally Free was awesome. I watch that part over, and over again.

Haven't gotten around to listening to Octavarium yet, but I can only assume it's decent. I think Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is probably my favorite album by them.
achene
Dream theater diffinetely isn't my favorite band, but their guitarist is indeed a very skilled guitarist. I like his solo-material as well.
But i think that there's alot of more interesting progressive metal bands out there.
Rosanova
Hi there,

It's a couple of years now where I heard Dream Theater first time, and I would like to say that even that I'm mostly into the more brutal metal genre, is this really first class heavy metal. There is only 3 prograsive bands that I'm interested in, Dream Theater, Queensryche and Evergrey.

Cheers!
hsadmin
Rosanova wrote:
Hi there,

It's a couple of years now where I heard Dream Theater first time, and I would like to say that even that I'm mostly into the more brutal metal genre, is this really first class heavy metal. There is only 3 prograsive bands that I'm interested in, Dream Theater, Queensryche and Evergrey.

Cheers!

Honestly. I don't think it has the right to be called "METAL".. It's like a new kind of music. Somwhere along the lines of dark metal, progressive, and crazy a$$ guitarist!
Shewolf
hsadmin wrote:

Honestly. I don't think it has the right to be called "METAL".. It's like a new kind of music. Somwhere along the lines of dark metal, progressive, and crazy a$$ guitarist!

I sort of agree with you, but not the right to? In my opinoin they have the right to call themselves whatever they want. And when that's said, I love their music:)
Rosanova
hsadmin wrote:
Rosanova wrote:
Hi there,

Cheers!

Hi there,

Actually do I disagree with you, specially when we are talking about Dream Theater. My opinion is that they are progressive and they are also metal. Other bands like Rush and Yes, are more like Hard Rock and as I've been into business since the early days, wouldn't I still call them for progressive, but I would give them a big credits for influence to the progressive genre, like Black Sabbath has been to the Metal genre generally.

But I see this discussion as an general problem in the Metal genre, there has been many discussions about genres and sub genres, and I do understand that confusions there has to be for all the younger and newer listeners in this branch, but I see as a main point that you like what you're buying and listen too.

For a couple of years ago was I webmaster for a Metal zine, and I know and understand these problems, as it wasn't easy for me too.

Cheers!
onemoment
i used to be obsessed with this band. but now they've gone a bit weird, and im also not a guitar geek anymore.
Nutteloos
If their latest album is what you call a bit "weird" then I'm all into "weird". Bring it on! Smile