FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I need help with PHPBB 2 coding

hsadmin
Well, I know there's a way to do this, but I'm not sure how.

I want to edit the files, like, when someone goes to register how it has the guidelines and everything, and has 2 links, sayng do you agree to these terms and are or over the age of 13. I want the edit that, with the rules of the forum, and then, make it say your over 10, instead of 13. Does anybody now what these files are? Or what there under, E.G. admin ect..

Someone please help me with this. I can also pay a reasonable amount for someone to do it and I'll type something up for them to put on it, but, if I can just get that answered then I don't need to get someone to do it.
wumingsden
hsadmin wrote:
Well, I know there's a way to do this, but I'm not sure how.

I want to edit the files, like, when someone goes to register how it has the guidelines and everything, and has 2 links, sayng do you agree to these terms and are or over the age of 13. I want the edit that, with the rules of the forum, and then, make it say your over 10, instead of 13. Does anybody now what these files are? Or what there under, E.G. admin ect..

Someone please help me with this. I can also pay a reasonable amount for someone to do it and I'll type something up for them to put on it, but, if I can just get that answered then I don't need to get someone to do it.

Are you sure its worthwhile to change it? The reason I ask this is because in the US it is illigal to remove it; this is because under 13yr olds need permission from their parents to join any forum. Therefore changing it below that age will make it illigal to use in the US. If it was the admin of the forums choice for the minimum age of the member then there would be an option in the ACP.

If you do want ti change it there are a number of ways. The easiest way, which is slightly cheating, it to...

Code:
#
#-----[ OPEN ]----------------------------------------------
#

forum_rootlanguages/lang_english/lang_main.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]----------------------------------------------
#

$lang['Agree_under_13'] = 'I Agree to these terms and am <b>under</b> 13 years of age';
$lang['Agree_over_13'] = 'I Agree to these terms and am <b>over</b> or <b>exactly</b> 13 years of age';
$lang['Agree_not'] = 'I do not agree to these terms';

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]----------------------------------------------
#

$lang['Agree_under_13'] = 'I Agree to these terms and am <b>under</b> 10 years of age';
$lang['Agree_over_13'] = 'I Agree to these terms and am <b>over</b> or <b>exactly</b> 10 years of age';
$lang['Agree_not'] = 'I do not agree to these terms';

#
#-----[ END OF MOD - SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]----------------------------------------------
#

As you can see, it does not change the function of the under 13 feature, but it fools the user into thiinking that they have to be over 10 to register.
hsadmin
Oh.. Is it legal to just change that text? Not the click here if your under 13.

I need to find out where that file is to edit it.. like the path root of the file..

/forum/phpbb2/templates
Alie
Doesn't matter what text you want to find end edit in script. There is a good way to do this.
Take total commander and type a row from a text you want to edit and search in the root catalogue of your forum. After finding it - modify Wink
It's not oly for phpBB2 but for all scripts using text.
wumingsden
hsadmin wrote:
Oh.. Is it legal to just change that text? Not the click here if your under 13.

I need to find out where that file is to edit it.. like the path root of the file..

/forum/phpbb2/templates

I'm not too sure whether its illigal to just change the text, but I know that the coppa agreement has to haev functionality if iyour from the US.

I already told you which file to change -

forum_root/languages/lang_english/lang_main.php

where forum_root by default is phpBB2, but most people change it to forum
hsadmin
I edited it, and then, the worst thing that could of happened, did happen. The pages went BLANK! Not colors. Just, BLANK! Is there ANYTHING i am able to edit without messing up the forum? I put everything back to the way it should have been, and the forum went right back up. Is it because I tried skipping lines? There's a code to make it skip a space, should I have used that?
snowboardalliance
hsadmin wrote:
I edited it, and then, the worst thing that could of happened, did happen. The pages went BLANK! Not colors. Just, BLANK! Is there ANYTHING i am able to edit without messing up the forum? I put everything back to the way it should have been, and the forum went right back up. Is it because I tried skipping lines? There's a code to make it skip a space, should I have used that?

All you had to do was change the "3" to "0"
If you follow what he said above it should work.
hsadmin
snowboardalliance wrote:
hsadmin wrote:

All you had to do was change the "3" to "0"
If you follow what he said above it should work.

I'm not saying editiing the age. I want to edit the text, like, so I can say the rules and stuff there. So, that's not what I was asking. But, thanks for trying.