FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Old people go to school

waterdogs
I will not call 49 middle age. As my dad says how many 98 year olds do you know? But it is great to go back to school just for something you want to learn. Great fun! Very Happy
jt32470
You're never too old to learn something new. It is a waste not to learn, as it keeps your mind sharp etc i'm 36 myself and although i no longer attend school, i like to learn something new everyday
Cibes
I think there's hardly anything better than just be able to learn something new and interesting everyday! I'm still in school, so I haven't seen the "real world" out there yet but ( unlike many ?! ) I really like school.
sbel
I know a 39 year old lady who requested to be accepted for the Cambridge Alevels intake this year at a local college. The thing is she was a traditional doctor or so called 'healer', but she wanted to get in medical school to learn all the modern way of treatment. She has to beg the admission to get in!

Some people would prefer to study themselves because going back to school at an older age with all course mates being young adults was intimidating. I respect this woman to do so.

So yea, of course, it's never too late to carry on studying
jwellsy
Waterdog, what is it you want to study?

This is an odd coincidence.
I too am 49 years old.
Yesterday, I went and took a civil service test
to work at a local university
so that I can take 2 classes a semester
for FREE.

I have about 160 credit hrs but never did finish.
I live very close to a big 10 school
so it would be a shame to never get a degree from there.

I'm thinking of getting whatever would be the quickest degree
then start in on a MBA.

If I was 20 again,
I would look at current and future global economies
and be an international intellectual property rights and business lawyer.
China is draining the worlds Intellectual Property right into their coffers.
Finding a niche in this massive global shift in the worlds economy
could be enormously profitable.
It would be more traveling than I want to do now
so I'll just take a MBA and be happy locally.

If I get the civil service job
I'll probably just keep it too
mainly for the benefits.

I may even take Mandarin Chinese,
which is the most used language on the planet.

Some people will say
'My God you won't have a degree till your 55'
I say 'at least I'll be be 55 with a degree'

Good luck To Ya
Jeff

BTW, Welcome to the Frihost forum.
This is a good place for free hosting.
Also, are you into fish bait or Labs ? LOL.
mexie
[quote="jwellsy"]
[snip]
If I was 20 again,
I would look at current and future global economies
and be an international intellectual property rights and business lawyer.
China is draining the worlds Intellectual Property right into their coffers.
Finding a niche in this massive global shift in the worlds economy
could be enormously profitable.
It would be more traveling than I want to do now
so I'll just take a MBA and be happy locally.

[snip]

Hi Jeff,

I am interested in your comment about China draining the world's intellectual property. Could you explain this please?

Regards,
Mexie.
osbits
There is no needs for one to go back to school to study. With some good textbooks one always can learn whatever he wants to learn.
evilryu530
year older people who want to go back and learn thats pretty amazing i think. i mean to have the ambition and the drive to go back and learn things they had'nt learn before. kudos!
jwellsy
Mexie, China has it's own laws concerning patents and copyrights
that are vastly different from the western worlds laws.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you develop a product and find a buying market for it, within 3 months there will be counterfeit products available with profits streams that totally bypass the developer.

Google 'china intellectual property' you'll find tons of info on infringements.
These infringements are producing profits into an economy that mainly provides cheap labor, limited creativity, no research and minimal consumerism(reciprocal trading).

This huge trade imbalance is fueled by patent/trademark/copyright infringements.

The effect of all this is the siphoning of world monetary resources into predatory/opportunistic economies.
Coclus
Learnig goes trough life and is what makes you sucessful..It's easier to learn new stuff when your are young, but it's always worth trying...
mexie
Coclus said:
Quote:
Learnig goes trough life and is what makes you sucessful..It's easier to learn new stuff when your are young, but it's always worth trying...

I am not so sure that it is easier to learn new stuff when you are young. I think we learn different ways at different ages. When we are young, we can absorb a huge amount of stuff, but we can't necessarily do anything with what we have learnt, or we may misconstrue it. Foreign languages are one of the things that seem to have a real threshold age for learning. You can pick up a lot of a foreign language later, but it seem that if you don't start speaking it before about age 11, you are never going to speak it like a native.

As I get older, I find that some stuff is easier to learn because I already have a lot of experience to connect the new stuff to. It makes more sense more easily. I guess there is an age where for each person their brain stops organising new material well, but I am hoping that it isn't for a looooong time in my case.

My memory has never been fantastic, but I can usually work around that. Mind you, I sometimes forget the work arounds.

Ok that's about enough for me. Time I got back to .... uh .... whatever it was I was doing before.

Mexie
chaosgamer
thankz
watersoul
It's never too late to learn a new skill or study for a qualification. Although most students at my Uni are late teens/early 20's, there are lots of 30/40 somethings and even a man I met a few weeks ago aged 68 doing Russian studies or something!
The only drawback in the UK with age is that you can't get a student loan if you're over 55, and you have to pay your own tuition fees.
If you have drive, ability and want something bad enough, go for it and chase your dreams.
...whats the worst thing that can happen, you go back to non-graduate employment? At least you'd have tried Smile
poiko123
My mom has just retired and is 56. She is taking a few classes at the community college. I think its good, cause it gives her something to do, while everyone else it at school or working.
ThornsOfSorrow
I really respect older people who chose to go back to college. There was a woman in one of my classes last semester who was a lot older than all the rest of us (although I wouldn't consider her to be "old"). She was much more dedicated than any of us were, which is understandable because, to go back to school at her age, she must've really wanted to learn. Some of the other students said cruel things, but I thought she was great, and I was inspired by her motivation.
copperhouse
Formal study suits different people at different ages. It's great for everyone to enjoy lifelong learning from tiny tots to pensioners. It can enhance their lives and the lives of others.
vanille
Old people who go to school touch my sentimental side and make me feel all mushy inside. ^_^ I think it's nice that people still want to educate themselves even if they're really old already.
zplitstonez
hello everyone...
yeah...I agree...

It's truly fun to learn something....
it's much better to spend your time studying,
than to watch tv...

theres no limit for knowledge... Studying is just so fun...
paulbarter2
That sounds great - we should never stop learning. I believe that God created us with work to do and gave us a mind to learn. True satisfaction will never come from making a million and then doing nothing for years, although that is what a lot of people strive for. Work is a blessing!
oleszka
I think it's good when you want to learn smth. Especially if your country lets you do it. Where I am living here you don't find any such school for people who is older than usual students . But fortunately I got that time when I could go to school for adult (yes I missed two last classes of usual school).
bigbadjohn
Im an ICT trainer and i often teach people over the age of 50. To be honest they are the best age group to teach because they want to learn.

I also had a couple of women at 75 who would have a game of golf in the morning turn up for my class in the afternoon and then at night do an art class.

I hoope i have that kind of energy when Im their age.
studsstudio
I'm working for a consulting bureau and I can tell age really has no impact on how eager people are to learn. The trigger is to find out what their existing knowledge is, and from there to provoke questions.

As long as you are able to question the knowledge you posses; keeping it up-to-date etc, you''ll stay knowledgeable. Otherwise your knowledge becomes dogmatic.

People want to learn if they need to. maybe the older you get, the more you see that you need to learn to keep up with 'society'.
KellaDayne
studying in Germany now. was shocked, when i saw sooo many 30-50 year old ppl on the lections and lessons! it's wholy different in Russia. here ppl are not in a harry to study quick, to have a job and family and a so called standart life like we do in russia. when a man needs to study in russia and he's already 25 or more years old, he's more likely to take short courses or study in the evening schools...

but i like it so. i guess, it helps grown ups to be young for a longer time and to understand youth more, as they are always near to them...