FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AGP 8X vs PCIe 16

bukaida
I have recently upgraded my graphics card to 7600GT (AGP) 256MB version and the games are running quite ok. My friend is telling me to upgrade it to PCIe version which requires changing my Mobo and CPU. I am using 865GBF Mobo with P4 2.4GHz cpu. do I require to change it immediately? will there be any significant performence difference between the AGP and PCIe version of the same card in practical? please help.
gh0stface
In the long run yes. PCI-Express is the future. AGP is slowly being phased out. There isn't too much of a difference between AGP and PCI-Express at the moment, however PCI-Express will eventually outrun the AGP in both speeds and cost. Well, PCI-Express is already costs less then AGP anywho...

So eventually, if you want to keep up with gaming, you're going to have to upgrade your motherboard and video card to future proof.
GeorgeG
i think pci express x32 is out Shocked
psycosquirrel
Actually, no mainstream mobo has 32x. No card for the general public needs that kind of bandwidth.

As of right now, you have basically the best of AGP. I would say you have no need to upgrade for another year or so, unless you want to stay on top of all the new tech...

The performance between an AGP and a PCI-E 7600GT are not noticable. You will mainly benefit from being able to get higher-end cards like the 7900 series and the 8 series.
DecayClan
PCI-E is way better than AGP, but i think that if you are going to chage your change your motherboard and your video card, then better change it all... get an other cpu and a PSU as well.... you will actually get a brand new computer which will be way faster than your old one....Especially if it intel core 2 duo, with at least 1GB of ram...
bukaida
thanx guys for your valuable suggessions. It appears that atleast one year I can wait for further upgrade. BTW, one thing I forgot to ask. Will the Direct X 10 have any immediate impact on the gaming world? Becoz, mine is only dx 9 compatable.
william
bukaida wrote:
thanx guys for your valuable suggessions. It appears that atleast one year I can wait for further upgrade. BTW, one thing I forgot to ask. Will the Direct X 10 have any immediate impact on the gaming world? Becoz, mine is only dx 9 compatable.

At the moment, DirectX 10 won't make too much of the difference. But, after about a year, it will make a difference. Right now DirectX 9 is all you need, plus there are only two cards on the market that support DirectX 10. (nVidia GeForce 8800 GS and 8800 GTX, and they're the most powerful cards on the market).

One more thing, if you do upgrade to a PCI-E motherboard, you don't need to change your CPU, as long as the motherboard has the same socket. (Though, you'd probably want to).
brycearonium
suposedly there is not much of a speed difference. agp is almost just as fast as pci-e from what i hear. but i mean the thing is, everything is going to be pci-e not agp now. So for expandability reasons, if you can it may be a good idea to switch now. But then who knows, there may be something completely new in 5 weeks, you never know. but basiclly, agp is old, pci-e is new. But as for performance, i havn't heard of any really. Oh, the other problem is a lot of newer cards are only avaible in pci-e, not in agp, so you may take that into consideration.
Timonator
DirectX 10 is still a bit of future music. Only nvidia released a DirectX10 card the 8800 series and if you want to experience the power you also need games that are written for DirectX10. And that will be Q3 2007 and then games will still be compatible for directX 9 and DirectX 10 it will take a while for directX9 to disappear so i would say go buy yourself a nice DirectX9 system.
psycosquirrel
As everyone else has stated, DX10 will not be mainstream for a while.

The main advantage to getting an 8 series card as-of right now is amazing framerates and performance in DX9 and earlier games.