FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linksys Wireless Router

orcaz
Hi, I just bought a wireless router and usb adapter. It is written on the package that it is compatible with Windows 98SE. However, when I installed the usb adapter, it shows that it is able to connect to the router, but cannot connect to the Internet. Does anyone know a good solution? My wireless security is WPA2 Personal. I am using WRT54G router and WUSB54G usb adapter.
askchris
Without knowing more information it would be like taking a stab in the dark. One thing you should know is that you have to configure the router for use with your particular internet connection, there should be an admin panel at an address such as 192.168.0.1 or similar, if you can access this from your pc then it is configured enough between the router and pc and just needs your internet connection details inputing in to the admin panel. The admin panel will also tell you whether you have a successful connection or whether it is 'training'.

All the best, I hope this helps a little
orcaz
Yes, there is an admin panel. On my Windows 98 computer, the interface shows that the adapter is able to connect to router, but not to the Internet. Is it because of WPA2 or anything? However, i cant access any web pages from my win 98 comp, not even the admin panel at 192.168.1.1
badai
usually this kind of problem can be solved with very minimal fee at any computer shop nearby (or place where you bought the router), provided you can tell them what package you subscribe with your ISP, your username and password.
SamiTheBerber
orcaz wrote:
Yes, there is an admin panel. On my Windows 98 computer, the interface shows that the adapter is able to connect to router, but not to the Internet. Is it because of WPA2 or anything? However, i cant access any web pages from my win 98 comp, not even the admin panel at 192.168.1.1

I have also that router, but haven't secure that yet. If I understood correctly, you have IP (internal one), but your router doesn't. If that is correct, then the problem is between router and modem or between modem and ISP. Try to boot your modem and check the lights. I presume you have ADSL modem, so check the internet led and LAN led. With those leds, you will find the problem.
johanfh
There could also be another problem: in win98 you need a connction program if you use WPA or WEP or something like that. In WinXP or WIN2000 you can connect to a secured network, but in win98 you can't without special software.
Did you install something like 'Lanmanager' with your USB-device?

You can test if this is the problem by turning off WPA on your modem. If you can connect without the WPA, then you didn't log on to the network with the WPA.

Also: check if you have an IP-number and if you don't use dynamical ip's (DHCP) but typed in an IP-number, check if you also provided a nameserver, because if you didn't, you can connect to the internet, but you can only internet by number, not by name. This can be checked by going to a MS-DOS promt and typing 'ping 66.249.85.104' (=google). If it shows 'network unreachable' there is something else wrong (like the WPA-connection for example), but if it says 'reply from ...' you didn't provide a nameserver.

Succes!
JohanFH
orcaz
Hi, I finally solved the problem. The problem is that the USB adapter/Windows 98SE operating system doesn't support WPA2 encryption which I set my router to use... The max encryption I can apply in order for my 98 comp to hook onto internet is WPA personal. I thot the WUSB54G was fully compatible with the linksys router WRT54G....
kiranaghor
U know what I have got same router and a friend of mine too. Funny thing is all the models have wierd power adapters. Mine died within 3 months of use and hers just a few days ago.
orcaz
kiranaghor wrote:
U know what I have got same router and a friend of mine too. Funny thing is all the models have wierd power adapters. Mine died within 3 months of use and hers just a few days ago.

but i thot there is a 3 year warranty?