FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

E-mail server

hack_man_
What E-mail software does FriHost S2 use? Is it a thing built into Linux or Apache? Or is it something else?
wumingsden
hack_man_ wrote:
What E-mail software does FriHost S2 use? Is it a thing built into Linux or Apache? Or is it something else?

I think it may be "sendmail"
Daniel15
hack_man_ wrote:

Hmm... Let's see
Code:

daniel@server1:~$ nc frih.net smtp
220 host.frih.net ESMTP Exim 4.60 Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:50:52 -0600
QUIT
221 host.frih.net closing connection

For SMTP, it's Exim, which is quite standard on hosting servers.

And for POP3:
Code:

daniel@server1:~$ nc frih.net pop3
+OK POP3 Welcome to vm-pop3d 1.1.7e <21581.1164513557@host.frih.net>
QUIT
+OK

Some obsure POP3 daemon which I've never heard of (vm-pop3d)

Also, Apache is only a web server, so it only handles HTTP requests
hack_man_
Odd, I would have expected that they both use the same program...
wumingsden
hmmm ... isn't sendmail a piece of email software? It goes to show just how much i know about servers Cool
Daniel15
Quote:

Yeah, I would have thought the same thing, but apparently Linux servers don't work like that Razz. cPanel servers usually run cppop (cPanel POP3 daemon) for POP3

Quote:
hmmm ... isn't sendmail a piece of email software? It goes to show just how much i know about servers Cool

Yeah, sendmail is a piece of email software, but it's not used that much any more. It used to be used a lot, though. Even though the server has a binary at /usr/sbin/sendmail, all it does is call Exim. It's kept like that for compatibility reasons (a lot of programs [including PHP] that need to send emails call /usr/sbin/sendmail. /usr/sbin/sendmail is actually a symlink to exim4) Wink
wumingsden
Daniel15 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I would have thought the same thing, but apparently Linux servers don't work like that Razz. cPanel servers usually run cppop (cPanel POP3 daemon) for POP3

Quote:

Yeah, sendmail is a piece of email software, but it's not used that much any more. It used to be used a lot, though. Even though the server has a binary at /usr/sbin/sendmail, all it does is call Exim. It's kept like that for compatibility reasons (a lot of programs [including PHP] that need to send emails call /usr/sbin/sendmail. /usr/sbin/sendmail is actually a symlink to exim4) Wink

Thank for the explanation, I did get a little confused
hack_man_
Daniel15 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Wow! Nothing like making things crystal clear for us noobs!
Digital Thoth
Quote:
wumingsden wrote
Thank for the explanation, I did get a little confused

You -were- confused? That made sense to you!? You guys are frihks! I didn't understand a single work, it's all geek to me! Brick wall