FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gmail spam mail

venkateshwarans
Honestly I recieved 600spam mails in my inbox in 1week and 17 legitimate mails. WHat do you do about spam mail dropping on my inbox.
pozzler
You mean that all that spam is not detected as spam ?
Instead of going into Spam folder it hits your Inbox?
Do you use "Mark as spam" feature of GMail?

Wojtek
Hunterseaker
Gmail is safer then hotmail or the most other webmail services....
Tho I also noticed that when you sign up for something yourself you can't get rid of that mails even when you report it as spam....
It is anoying tho other webmail services are even worse....

I would suggest to you: try the report as spam button, it might work....
jon9314
i love gmail!!!!!!! they have the best spam filters. sofar i have recieved zewro spam email in my inbox, and zero legit emails have ben droped in spam. i don't know how they do it but they need to keep up the good work. my other email is from www.myrealbox.com and that is supose to be the testbed server for the latest novell mail servers and i get 1000:1 spam to legit ratio in my inbox and i have had to fish out legit mesages from the spam folder. that sucks!!!!!!!!!
Josso
Huge appreciation for the spam filters on Gmail. I get about 50 spam emails a day, sometimes up to 100 and it always filters them out. None are put in my main inbox folder. This happens because my email address is everywhere and on the main page of my site. Luckily it never gets it wrong and never spams legit emails. All I do is delete all Smile
nilsmo
Yes, my gmail filters a whole lot of spam mail. Past week or so it's filtered ~1200 spam messages and none have made it into my inbox.
kikass
i get nearly 50 spams mails per day... but they are correctly identified as spam and filtered to junk mail... no problems with that.. what i am surprised with is that even though i never ever use my gmail id on any websites, the number of junk mails i get there is simply too much.. my other account which i use to register at various websites does not get so many!!! i wonder why is gmail attracting so much spam ! Mad
llam
I personally find gmail's spam filter is better than yahoo's. not sure why yahoo is sucks on spam. I report spam at yahoo, but it does not seem tuning my spam filter very much. comparing to gmail, gmail gets > 90% correct on my spam. so far i did not notice any false positive.
Arseniy
gmail has best spam filter all around the world, I think. I didn't receive any spam since I received invitation in gmail. And it's already 4 months...
So I think gmail is best mail everywhere in the world wide web.
Alienz
Yes Gmail spam filter are very good. I haven't receive any spam till now. With Yahoo mail, I receive a number of spam each day Mad
hofodomo01
Maybe if you didn't sign up for random stuff on your gMail....because that's the usual invite for spam. I just use gMail for my personal contacts, and guess what? NO SPAM!
myrevolt
I don't get spam on any of my primary email accounts (including yahoo and gmail). Occassionaly, I get one of those randomly generated spam messages that are gibberish (not sure why those don't get sorted automatically, but w/e). Clearly you need to stop giving out your email address whether posting it as plain text on a page or using it for registration. 600 spam messages, dump that account now. If I got even one spam message per day, I'd ditch the email address. The first thing you should do is set up say 5 disposable email addresses, soley for potential spam, things like site registrations. Now if its a somewhat shady site, yet you want more than just one confirmation message then create a gmail account and forward it to one of your primaries. One thing that gmail offers is username+random@gmail.com, which allows you to filter out email from a certain address, the problem being that almost no "smart" registration forms allow plus signs or any other unusual characters; yahoo has a similiar username.random@yahoo.com; the same issue with forms, plus there was an issue with two people have the same address or something...

You may also be interested in the following services:

Mailinator
&
SpamGourmet

and to ensure safety
venkateshwarans
I fear legitmate mails dropping into spam. I don't think it might happen with google, but with 600spam it's tough to filter. I would like to get rid of any mails dropping inside.
windval
i have the same problem of yours

i think it is very ignoring
Aless
GMail's spam filter is quite good compared to other e-mail cients I've used. It's also partly reliant on your part to be careful who & where you give your address out. The more prudent you are with it, the less spam there is to filter!
Blaster
Well gmails is really good. Just simply delete it and say the hell with it. Thats what i do. I get about a hundred each week. There really is nothing you can do about them. Just ignore them its not like it takes time to deleate them.
Vrythramax
Granted, it doesn't take alot of time to delete them.....but there still a pain. I'll stick with PMMail and config the filters myself....it seems to work. Smile
kazikame
I hardly ever get spam on my gmail actually... Cool
rhathar
hofodomo01 wrote:
Maybe if you didn't sign up for random stuff on your gMail....because that's the usual invite for spam. I just use Gmail for my personal contacts, and guess what? NO SPAM!

Exactly. I used to use Yahoo! mail a lot, but after getting Gmail it's the email I use for things like sponsor sign-ups, confirmation letters, and company things. That way, Gmail stays nice and uncluttered while Yahoo has 1600 bulkmail a week.
The-Master
You could set up outlook express with your gmail account and then just right click and add sender to blocked senders list.
Josso
hofodomo01 wrote:
Maybe if you didn't sign up for random stuff on your gMail....because that's the usual invite for spam. I just use gMail for my personal contacts, and guess what? NO SPAM!

Ah yes, but I am very careful about that and still get about 50-100 per day. It just depends how widely availible your address needs to be in your own situation. Some people need to sign up to "random stuff" although I do admit I use my AOL account for anything that I know (due to Site Advisor ratings or otherwise) that will be spammy.
achowles
Gah, I'm noticing a lot more spam recently too.

Not that much is getting through though.

I use Gmail as a router to help deal with spam, but it's having real difficulty keeping up recently.

BTW I've just deleted 1000 spam messages from my Gmail.
KoiboySG1
I got gmail but i get never spam Confused
also never on my hotmail.
palavra
i use gmail for 1 year
i got only 5-6 spam mail up to now
soulman
I have 50-60 spam mails everyday, all because I registered a "free iPod" site...
Calebgod
I have about 20 Spams a day, but that is my fault for signing up for a newsletter which was a mistake. Other than that I love Gmail.
Srs2388
you can also create a filter so that it automaticly deltes something you get from them... that is what I did...
some emails labled "SEXUALLY-EXPLICIT" were getting in
i marked them as spam, they changed the address...
so i created a filter with anything with the subject sexually explicit would automaticly be delted
Josso
soulman wrote:
I have 50-60 spam mails everyday, all because I registered a "free iPod" site...

Hmm yeah I reserve those type of sites to my AOL account on purpose Laughing
sibbahz
"free" ipod sites are awful. They assume most people will give up as they will be sent so much spam.

Also a good idea to give an unused mobile number instead of a home phone when signing up as well.

I dont get any spam on my gmail, but then again i dont get much mail on gmail whatsoever.
soulman
sibbahz wrote:
"free" ipod sites are awful. They assume most people will give up as they will be sent so much spam.

Also a good idea to give an unused mobile number instead of a home phone when signing up as well.

I dont get any spam on my gmail, but then again i dont get much mail on gmail whatsoever.

but you still need to pay some money on their Sponsor