FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Server 2 down

jayandsilo
Last night I couldn't access any of my sites and I can't today either. I can't find any other mentions, what is going on?
SpellcasterDX
Relax, its the server. It's still unstable and not as good as Server 1. Bondings knows it and is trying to fix Server 2.
wumingsden
The server is working fine, although there have been small amounts of downtime. Can you confirm that it is still down? (there may be a problem with your hosting account and not the server).

If your site is working then please wait a little while before posting anything. This is because some users start a thread when their site has only been down for less than a minute.

Thank you
wumingsden.
mikethm
wumingsden wrote:
The server is working fine, although there have been small amounts of downtime. Can you confirm that it is still down? (there may be a problem with your hosting account and not the server).

If your site is working then please wait a little while before posting anything. This is because some users start a thread when their site has only been down for less than a minute.

Thank you
wumingsden.

Actually I can't access my website on server 2 quite frequently this past few days too. It would go down for around 10 mins regularly every once in a while and yet when you go to command line to ping the address, it replies. I know this because I been using CMS to modify my website online for extended stretches of time this past few days. As I post now, this is the umpteen times that I been waiting 10mins or more to continue with my website editing...
wumingsden
mikethm wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

Thank you
wumingsden.

Actually I can't access my website on server 2 quite frequently this past few days too. It would go down for around 10 mins regularly every once in a while and yet when you go to command line to ping the address, it replies. I know this because I been using CMS to modify my website online for extended stretches of time this past few days. As I post now, this is the umpteen times that I been waiting 10mins or more to continue with my website editing...

http access is acting a little differently, yes, but the server has not been down (as far as I am aware) apart from last night just before 8pm GMT
jayandsilo
having the same problems now
truespeed
Server2 seems to be worse than normal,its down now,and has been for 20 minutes or so,last night when i was on my site,it seemed to be going down every 2 minutes,ive seen reports on here that there is 98% uptime,but thats based on checks that are done every half hour,if them checks were done every 2 minutes i think the reality would be closer to 80% uptime..... i know the service is free,and i except with that u could expect service not to be as good as payed for service...

but we who use frihost do so in the hope that we can make sites that in time will become busy and popular,and with the server going down so often as it does,and not just the apache hourly restart as we are told,then it becomes impossible,all my members complain constantly,and i keep saying what you keep saying,the host is working on it....

Server1 seems to be up 100% of the time,ive never come on here and seen this forum down... when server 2 is full up,will the hourly restart stop? and will the downtime stop?
Sergiy
server 2 is realy bed bed and bed
i'm on my page now, and next minute server is down and up and down ...
What is wrong? Why not working server 2? Evil or Very Mad Sad
ChrisCh
Yea, the uptime on Server 2 recently has been pretty bad... it keeps timing out and sometimes Apache seems to restart every 20 minutes or so, causing more downtime.

If it helps, it always seems to time out from 6 minutes past the hour (not every hour, but when it does time out), and stays that way until the Apache restart at half past (by the way, the clock on my computer is always at 32 minutes past the hour when Apache restarts, so it may be around 4 mins past on the server clock when timing out begins). Smile

PS: Shouldn't this be in Web Hosting Support? Smile
TeenZine
Dosen't it reset every few hours and not alow loggins for a few mins. Or something like that cause when I had my hosting here like everyhour it wouldn't let me on but when I refreshed the page it let me on.
ChrisCh
TeenZine wrote:
Dosen't it reset every few hours and not alow loggins for a few mins. Or something like that cause when I had my hosting here like everyhour it wouldn't let me on but when I refreshed the page it let me on.

That was probably caused by the Apache hourly restart, which is the only time that websites are supposed to be inaccessible (except for occasional maintenance and stuff like that). Smile
truespeed
I have asked my members to record the time of downtime and the length of downtime on my forum,i started this yesterday at 2pm and in that 24 hour period,it was recorded as being down for a total of 56 minutes,and thats only when ppl have been bothered enough to post,and also after 1am UK time till the morning there were no posts,as with my site being UK based everyone would of been in bed,so that 56 minutes is almost over 12 hours. I dont know if this is an accurate reflection of the downtime everyday,hopefully it was just a bad day.
truespeed
From 2pm to 2pm yesterday my site was down,minimum 42 minutes.
garionw
This is really getting out of hand.

I've used a lot of different hosting services before, and while none of them match up t Frihost's features and support, they all have better uptime than the second server.

You have to work with us Bondings [The people on server 2]. I am more than happy for you to shut down my account for a few days to see if I am whats causing the downtime (But I'm not Wink) Take a few accounts down at a time, to see if they are the ones causing to crash the server.

Think of it like a fish tank, and the people who you host are the fish. There's been one bad fish eating all of the other's only while no-ones watching. So what do you do?

What I would do is move a few fish at a time into isolation (Server 1, or block their accounts)

Or if there are record's, go back to when the problem started to begin, then take a look at who was hosted there around that time.

This is afterall, Frihost, Free Reliable Internet Host
truespeed
Again from 2pm to 2pm yesterday my site was down,minimum 40 minutes
Animal
truespeed wrote:

From 2pm to 2pm? That's a fairly short window.
truespeed
Animal wrote:
truespeed wrote:

From 2pm to 2pm? That's a fairly short window.

I mean over a 24 hour period,from 2pm to 2pm.
Animal
Uptime on Server 2 is currently around 96%:
http://host-tracker.com/web-site-monitoring-stats/222372/
Bondings
Well 96% is definately not enough, it should be at least 98,5-99,5%. I'm really trying to do my best, but it's not easy.

Today I have removed almost 300 hosting accounts of inactive people, also quite a few in breach of our TOS/abuse and also changed a few settings. I hope this will help the server at least for a while. I would also appreciate it if there is some feedback if it helped or not. (like some downtime or no downtime)
SpellcasterDX
Bondings wrote:
Well 96% is definately not enough, it should be at least 98,5-99,5%. I'm really trying to do my best, but it's not easy.

Today I have removed almost 300 hosting accounts of inactive people, also quite a few in breach of our TOS/abuse and also changed a few settings. I hope this will help the server at least for a while. I would also appreciate it if there is some feedback if it helped or not. (like some downtime or no downtime)

Well, HTTPD hasn't been down quite as much as it used to, so yes, it is improving. Good job, Bondings! Very Happy
truespeed
Bondings wrote:

Since you made the changes,i havent noticed any downtime at all,the site as far as i know has had 100% uptime,since yesterday.
garionw
...Yes, the server has been a lot better than it was before

Maybe you removed the rouge account that was causing all of the downtime when you deleted the accounts

Thanks Bondings
Animal
Please see this page for details on server status. There are no current problems.

-close-