FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Photoshop 101::The Layers Window

defnet
Can anybody explain to me what the different options in the combobox of the layerswindow mean (multiply, difference, hue, saturation, etc).
I have been working with PS CS for quite a while and I really don't know what it means. I try em sometimes but TO ME they seem to do nothing more then adding tints to my work. Do y'all know what they different options really do and how to exploit em to the max?
guissmo
You can use auto-color and auto-contrast to brighten up your pictures if they're too dark. That's one of Photoshop's wonders! Very Happy
varun_dodla
defnet wrote:
Can anybody explain to me what the different options in the combobox of the layerswindow mean (multiply, difference, hue, saturation, etc).
I have been working with PS CS for quite a while and I really don't know what it means. I try em sometimes but TO ME they seem to do nothing more then adding tints to my work. Do y'all know what they different options really do and how to exploit em to the max?

These options set the mixing between subsequent layers i.e the layers below a particular layer. Say you are having two layers with different images then if these are changed for the above layer then that layer is mixed with the bottom layer in the way of the chosen option.If you want to get a better idea then u can google for Photoshop effects and you will find many effects which use this (layer options) to finally get the desired effect.

Hope this helps.
blueray
A very simple answer would be think of marker. When you draw two line that overlap each other. You got darker color on the intersection area. This is one of the effect the blending mode you can archive.
mEMBER83
defnet wrote:

auto-color and auto-contrast
achowles
Normal - the layer is unaffected by those under it.

Multiply - the layer darkens the one(s) below it completely. Even light tones on this layer darken those beneath. Only white has no effect.
Darken - darkens areas of the below layers that are lighter than it. Doesn't make darker areas darker still. This can cause an odd effect and should be used only where needed.

Screen - opposite of multiply.
Lighten - opposite of darken.

Overlay - gives the impression of being painted onto the previous layers.
Hard Light - Similar to overlay, but far harsher, can severely adjust tones. Useful for lighting effects.

Hue - applies the hue of the layer to the layers under it. Doesn't affect tones.
Saturation, Colour, Luminosity - all work in a similar manner to Hue, but applying their respective attributes.

That's the basics, you can figure out the rest through plating around with it.
defnet
Thats some great info right hurrr.
I appreciate it.
I've played arround with it but I just guess to find the things i need.
Now that I know this I would know what Im actually doing...
evilryu530
good tutorial man. layers are awsewome