FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Number of Jewish lawmakers worldwide reaches record high

palavra
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/785642.html

Quote:
Tuesday's U.S. elections brought the number of Jewish parliamentarians worldwide to an all-time high, according to the International Council of Jewish Parliamentarians.

Following yesterday's results, the number of Jews in the Senate rose from 11 to 13 and in the House of Representatives from 26 to 30. However, the United States is still only in third place worldwide for the number of Jewish legislators, after Israel and Britain.

Britain, despite having a Jewish community 20 times smaller than that of the United States, has 59 Jewish members of parliament, including 18 in the House of Commons and 41 in the House of Lords. The latter number includes seven barons whose seats in the house were hereditary until recently. However, the umbrella organization of British Jewry said that in fact, the number of Jews in the House of Lords is even higher, totaling at least 46.
After Britain and the United States come France and Ukraine, with 18 Jewish legislators each, followed by Russia (13), Brazil (11), and Canada and Hungary (10 each). The only Arab country with a Jewish member of parliament is Tunisia.

According to the ICJP, there are 246 Jewish legislators worldwide (excluding Israel), up from 208 in 2005 - an increase of about 18 percent. This is the highest number recorded since the organization was established in 1988.

The organization noted that it does not use the halakhic definition of a Jew in determining whether a legislator is Jewish.

The director of the World Jewish Congress's Israel office, Bobby Brown, said the data reflects Jews' growing success in integrating into the countries where they live. Brown, who coordinates the ICJP's work in Israel, also noted that in recent years, cooperation among Jewish legislators worldwide has increased

i think as long as everything OK in usa this will continue like this.
but
whenever some serious problems start to occur Jews again will be "scapegoat"
ibay
That reminds me of a recent report published in newspapers that more than half of the billionaires in USA are from Jewish communities.
There have been numerous articles by retired US Government officials telling how legislators in USA have to show themselves to be pro-Jewish and not say anything to offend Jews, to build a successful career.

But putting their humanitarian record in Middle East aside, I dont think Jews should be critisized for their influence in USA. Jews suffered terrible treatment at the hands of christians in the world wars. So they deserve such privileges as a compensation, not only in USA but also in Europe. But their treatment of Palestinians has washed away their previous sacrifices and made them look equivalent to those who brought sufferings to them.
microgolf
first of all i am not a racist, but jews dont realy desurve no more then any of us, they suffered allright, but now they make other people (the pallestines) suffer badly! They realy shouldnt do that...
but for the percentage of jews in senate or anything... it wont kill you... maybe it's better for america, but correct me if i am wrong, i live over here, in Europe.
suntzu3500
ibay wrote:
That reminds me of a recent report published in newspapers that more than half of the billionaires in USA are from Jewish communities.
There have been numerous articles by retired US Government officials telling how legislators in USA have to show themselves to be pro-Jewish and not say anything to offend Jews, to build a successful career.

But putting their humanitarian record in Middle East aside, I dont think Jews should be critisized for their influence in USA. Jews suffered terrible treatment at the hands of christians in the world wars. So they deserve such privileges as a compensation, not only in USA but also in Europe. But their treatment of Palestinians has washed away their previous sacrifices and made them look equivalent to those who brought sufferings to them.

Has anyone considered that the reasons behind this are the Jewish religion's culture and values as opposed to the mere fact that they're "Jews"? Judaism has traditionally been a more business-oriented religion than Christianity, which is the majority religion in both Britain and the USA. Until the 1600s, Christianity even banned banking... It still has problems with branches of science that continue to provide potential for large profits (For instance stem cell research... that has the potential to turn into a huge profit source for the pharmaceutical industry). Judaism has been so successful because of the policies and beliefs of the religion more so than anything to do with the holocaust.
ibay
suntzu3500 wrote:

Has anyone considered that the reasons behind this are the Jewish religion's culture and values as opposed to the mere fact that they're "Jews"? Judaism has traditionally been a more business-oriented religion than Christianity, which is the majority religion in both Britain and the USA. Until the 1600s, Christianity even banned banking... It still has problems with branches of science that continue to provide potential for large profits (For instance stem cell research... that has the potential to turn into a huge profit source for the pharmaceutical industry). Judaism has been so successful because of the policies and beliefs of the religion more so than anything to do with the holocaust.

Why Judaism wasn't "so successful" before the holocaust?

If u know the jewish religion, it is more conservative than conservative Islam.
Religious beliefs and values dating back to thousands of years can't be a source of progress and power in today's world.
Still, I would say that this isn't the reason to critisize or hate them.
Montressor
ibay wrote:

If u know the jewish religion, it is more conservative than conservative Islam.

I think that would be more correctly stated that the ultra-conservative sect of Judaism is more conservative than the less-conservative but still semi-conservative sect of the arab religion...

If you're going to make comparisons, at least do so justly and respectfully.

Interestingly enough the most conservative of Judaic believers are required to offer sacrifices at a temple that no longer exists, surely then they have to make concessions to their faith based on reality. If so, then they have lost some of the conservative element of their faith...

Not to mention that all the practices and beliefs of Jewish followers of Judaism are hardly universal, they have sects and sub-sects like any other major religion and they have their conservatives, their moderates and their liberal element, meshing them into one for the purpose of comparing them to a single portion of another faith is illogical.

ibay wrote:

Why Judaism wasn't "so successful" before the holocaust?

Jewish merchants were successful in the middle ages, Christians were not allowed to "exact usury" on their brothers, they had to go to the Jewish moneylenders to get a loan. Because of this money would often accumulate in the Jewish community, and they would be hated because of their differences (in both wealth, culture, and faith). This would lead to persecution and discriminatory laws against the Jews living in Europe. This lead to a small immigration to Russia, where they still were persecuted (the Russian Pogroms).
That is why, their success is so little known, because their success lead to their demise.

Sorry for the lengthy response, but knowledge is infectious (read several long scholarly books on the formation of the modern state of Israel for a history project)