FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Make New Users Read Sticky's before creating new topics

garionw
As Frihost Grows, there seem to be more and more users creating repeat topics. Just this week I have seen two conversations about the same topic. They can be found Here and Here.

Here's my idea. Before a user could view a forum. They must read the sticky's first. That would then create a cookie (Last a year, perhaps?) and wouldn't need to view them again.

There are a few problems with that suggestion (1) Regular Frihost Users would need to also read the sticky's (Which would be annoying) (2) It might put a decrease in traffic and (3) users would need to read them before they could read the others (Which would also get annoying).

Which is why I came up with this solution: In order to create a new topic, News Users (Less than 50 posts) would need to read all of the sticky's in that forum before they can create a new topic. They will still be able to read existing topics, and they can also reply to existing topics, just not create them.

To extend on this, Users with less than 20 posts could be banned from creating new topics (You can reply, not create). This would also stop a few more duplicate threads as well.
reddishblue
An interesting idea, but the fact is not all new users are unaware of forum ettiquite, many are active on other forums.
I would be counter productive to only allow new users to reply, this would annoy them and make them ask 'Why can't I make new topics?' to really everyone. Vrthromax and Traveller seem to do a good job closing duplicate threads so I really don't know why this is needed.
billybob
In theory its not a bad idea but it wont be able to be implemented in they way you said (via a cookie) as what about the people clear there cookies or have a program such as window washer which i believe clears the cookies also if the user uses more than one computer to visit frihost i.e. someone who uses an internet café and doesn't have internet access at home these people could be on a different machine each time. So it would have to be built into the user name on the forum, but yes i like the idea not sure on how much work it would take to implement.
Animal
While it's an ok idea in principle, creating a cookie proving that you've read the stickies is not a good idea. Many people (myself included) regularly delete their cookies which is good privacy practice. This means that you will have to re-read all the stickies every time you want to post on Frihost.

There are other problems with it too - for example, the Tutorials forum has absolutely loads of stickies. Most people won't even read half of them so forcing users to read them all will probably mean that nobody posts in the tutorials forum anymore.

As I said, I think it's a good idea in principle, but the staff are generally on top of the forum.
Blaster
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-39288.html

It was suggested a while ago for users to read the rules. Bondings didn't do it then so why would he do it now?
S3nd K3ys
I'm sure just about everyone with more than 100 or so posts has duplicated a post at least once. That's the nature of forums. People will repost.
Blaster
Other wise the forum would die and then so would the free hosting.
S3nd K3ys
Blaster wrote:
Other wise the forum would die and then so would the free hosting.

No it wouldn't. There's always new things to talk about. Hell, I could post at least 4 or 5 times a day in the DWN forums about new attacks by radicals all over the world without a duplicate post. Shocked Oops, did I say that out loud?
Blaster
But there no fun. Yea but it would make it so that the posting would go down. So really its a lose lose situation.
arkebuzer
garionw wrote:
As Frihost Grows, there seem to be more and more users creating repeat topics. Just this week I have seen two conversations about the same topic. They can be found Here and Here.

Here's my idea. Before a user could view a forum. They must read the sticky's first. That would then create a cookie (Last a year, perhaps?) and wouldn't need to view them again.

There are a few problems with that suggestion (1) Regular Frihost Users would need to also read the sticky's (Which would be annoying) (2) It might put a decrease in traffic and (3) users would need to read them before they could read the others (Which would also get annoying).

Which is why I came up with this solution: In order to create a new topic, News Users (Less than 50 posts) would need to read all of the sticky's in that forum before they can create a new topic. They will still be able to read existing topics, and they can also reply to existing topics, just not create them.

To extend on this, Users with less than 20 posts could be banned from creating new topics (You can reply, not create). This would also stop a few more duplicate threads as well.

The cookie would make problems for me, since I post from home as well as school. And at school the boot disk resets each time you reboot/log of the computer :S
Personally I read the most of the stickys first after I got the hosting working, since I was not even sure if frihost actually worked. (yup, I´ve had some problems with bad hosts before)
Just making one sticky that everyone has to read and then (as you said) disable the possibility to post before you reach 20 or 50 posts would be a better idea.
mOrpheuS
I'm not really in favour of forcing things in this manner.

It's but natural that many people treat site rules and TOS just like the EULA on software installers - you just have to click your way through it without actually reading.
No amount of clever programming or cookies are going to ensure that a person actually reads the stuff.
SonLight
Perhaps a special "splash screen" could come up the first time a new user replies, with some basic hints and links for more info, and he/she would have to click on "ok" or something, so you know it's been seen but it's not a big annoyance.

A similar but distinct splash screen could appear for a new topic, which would stress not duplicating topics. One or both of these screens could have a bot discourager feature as well, perhaps by requiring a check box to be ticked before clicking on OK.

While I'm on a roll, let me suggest that a third extra screen might appear after the user chooses submit or preview, if the user has posted only a few posts and a scan shows a _possible_ url link. The user could be warned that links for new users are carefully monitored and they may be automatically banned if the link is not appropriate. If the user posted it with the link, a moderator could be automatically notified and feel free to ban on the spot.

I think these things could be done based on user status. The first would activate only if #posts < 1, the third would activate if #posts < limit (perhaps 15). The second would probably require a new field, #new_topics, and I have not addressed the case where the first post is a new topic.