FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

travel in america

onemoment
hey, im an australian and im travelling in america for a month. i've already been in san francisco for a week, which has been AMAZINNGG Shocked but now im going to new york, and i was wondering if anyone had any pointers or tips, its such a big city.

thanks guys. Very Happy
vinx_18
I've not been there but one thing to bring is a map...
S3nd K3ys
vinx_18 wrote:
I've not been there but one thing to bring is a map...

That's great advice, thanks! Rolling Eyes

Are you going to spend the whole month in NY?
Blaster
Yea if you have to go somewhere by cab in NYC then make sure you get the cab like an hour early. Its really hectic and its really hard to get one and then you have to wait in traffic and all. Also if you can vist the mountains. I've never been to the ones in New York but the ones in PA are really cool.

If you can get down to Jersy and vist the shore. Theres a lot to see in Jersy. Also if you can go to Philidelphia. Its an awesome city. The birthplace of America as we know it. Go and look at the libery-bell and all that. Go to city hall and of course go to the Art Museme.
Pyro Man
I plan to travel the USA for two years. I have already visited 9 states, and my fantastic perceptions of America are being extinguished VERY fast! It seems everywhere you go is screwed over completley. Crying or Very sad Even beautiful countryside is tottaly screwed.
ocalhoun
^Which 9 states?
It might just be those, but there is a high probability that the entire country is screwed over completely (depending on what you mean by that). But why stop there? The whole world is probably screwed over completely...
Josso
Oxfordshire countryside isn't screwed, well a lot of it anyway. Nearby in Buckinghamshire they are ruining it, expanding Aylesbury even further and destroying countryside.
Pyro Man
Floida(Yes I know) Misissipi, Alabama, Louisiana, Illinois, New York State, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine (the least spoilt)
ocalhoun
^Still, what do you mean by spoilt?
Pyro Man
Beautiful countryside was built on, the smallest road you could find was massive great double tracked road with a yellow line down the middle, even in rural places, everything seems kinda fake, and when u have sommit beautiful, it has information centres and toilet blocks built all over it.
Josso
Maybe your going to the wrong places. I mean bear in mind you are a tourist over there Laughing

There's places in the UK all over like that, it's called accessibility. Without it people wouldn't be able to get to remote places like that, "beautiful" places.
Pyro Man
Remeber Joss, we dont "do" touristy places. We go to places most people havent even heard of.
Josso
Even unheard of places can still be affected by the tourist industry.
ocalhoun
Well, theres your problem; just get away from the populous areas. Try state parks instead of national parks, for example. As for the large, ugly roads, there's no cure for that: they're everywhere. (Blame us Americans and our love of big cars that need such large roads.) That is, unless you go very rural and leave the pavement behind...
Pyro Man
Some places werent spoilt as badly as others
Pyro Man
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, theres your problem; just get away from the populous areas. Try state parks instead of national parks, for example. As for the large, ugly roads, there's no cure for that: they're everywhere. (Blame us Americans and our love of big cars that need such large roads.) That is, unless you go very rural and leave the pavement behind...

You dont get it, we DO get away from popular areas.
Captain Fertile
When touring the US by car I fell into the trap of travelling everywhere on the Highways. While this is the fastest way to get from A to B we soon realised that using the back roads were slower but my word, you saw a lot more interesting sights and plenty of places to stop off at.

Also, we soon learned that we got a better taste of the real USA while staying in small motels rather than the larger hotels which are part of a chain.

Of course the best way to see the real USA is to spend some time with a real American family.

America to me was the most wonderful country I have ever visited and the people, the REAL American people, are some of the warmest, friendliest, most generous and most genuine people on the planet. The American people get a bad rap from people who don’t know.
StPetersSecondary
As you should always do in a big city: shoplift often. Be sure somewhere in your shoplifting journeys to pick up one or two fast cars (a primary and a "B-car" as I call them) and keep them at convenient access points for if you need to escape.

Also, be sure to remember: people tend to have a soft spot for little girls so... if you can abduct one as a hostage make sure to do so as soon as you hear sirens, but remember, puppydogs, although cute, are expendable so if need be your best choice of abductee's would be a child of the other gender.

Mostly, just remember that if you get caught, I am not an accomplice I am simply someone using there right to free speech. And thats what makes america (not) great.

Truthfully; I suggest going home or Canada Wink.
mstreet
Well if you're going to New York, I suggest Central Park, and the Empire State Building at least those 2 attractions. When I was there last the Statue of Liberty was off limits. I know its really touristy but I actually had fun giong on the double decker bus tour.
Ithaca New York is gorgeous as well.