You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best bass line of all time?

For me it's Give it Away by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
It's an awesome song improved by an even more awesome bass line.
Yeah that is a pretty good one. Bruce Foxton of The Jam came up with some classics as well.
yeah, btoh brilliant, but nothing compared to:

Black Lung - Rancid

in my eyes matt freeman= best bassist in the world
BlockUp wrote:

Impressive bass line...
Cliff Burton - Anaesthesia (Pulling Teeth)

Metallica's bass player.
'whole lotta love' by led zeplin
BlockUp wrote:

flea is such an awesome bassist
Rush - YYZ
Anything by Flea is automatically awesome.
CtrlAltDeleteDie wrote:
Rush - YYZ

Oh hell yes!

Most Rush songs have the best bass lines

Geddy = God!
Insanity wrote:
Anything by Flea is automatically awesome.

Yup, that's the idea.
I'd say just about anything from Rush would have the best bass line.
Rush - YYZ

I couldn't agree more Razz
The Mitchell
Flea is blatantly the best bass player ever. PAH! I remember when he got voted the best. Biggest joke ever. Now the chillis are multi award winning etc and in the charts everyone thinks flea is amazing purely on the basis that he can slap fairly well. He is a good player but by the standards of many others he is pretty lame. Take a look at the likes of Victor Wooten, Les Claypool Michael Manring Steve Bailey Jaco Pastorius Marcus Miller Alphonso Johnson Pino Palladino Jon Reshard John Lester Charles Mingus Tony Levin Chris Squire Bill Dickens Trip Wamsley John Patittuci Oteil Burbridge, Tom Jenkinson Dirk Lance.

Anyways ranyt over best bassline for me has to be one of the following:

Tool - Disposition
Squarepusher - Come on my selector
Incubus - Speak Free
Amplifier - Panzer
pah theres loads
not to forget journey to the end of east bay
I'd say that the Violent Femmes have the best bass lines in their songs.

I really like Add It Up, it's got a pretty sweet bass solo in it.

Blister in the Sun also has a really rockin' riff in it.
all the jams lines were class!

and yeh rancid have some great ones, crane fist!
My favorite bassline of all time would probably come from Metallica's 'Orion'. I love the breakdown in the middle, and Cliff has that smooth as butter sounding bassline in there. He was damn good at what he did.

Honorable mentions go to:

Dream Theater - 'The Dance of Eternity'
Metallica - 'My Friend of Misery'
Metallica - 'Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)'
Dream Theater - 'A Change of Seasons'
Liquid Tension Experiment - 'Another Dimension'
Best bass line ever, obviously The Chicken by the master, Jaco Pastorius. If you play bass and havn't heard it, be ashamed.

I agree that Jaco Pastorius is one of the all time great bassists but for more modern stuff I think the bassist from Rage Against the Machine/ Audioslave has some real kickass bass lines.
Flea may not be the best of the best in the world of bassists, but he did come up with own style and technique, which in my eyes is better than mastering other people's techniques.
CtrlAltDeleteDie wrote:
Rush - YYZ

Although, like most Rush fans, I love YYZ, I like the bass in "Leave That Thing Alone" a bit better. It's a much less popular song, but the main bass line is outstanding. But like "Ozzy" basically said, any Rush song has great bass lines.
Primal Scream - Loaded

This funky bass is awesome Very Happy
Check it out:
Any Rush song hands down has an awesome bass line and Most...but not all Red Hot Chili Pepper's songs do to, but there are a few exceptions...

I'm also particularly fond of the bass line in The Beatles song "Dear Prudence"
First, respect to all bass players mentioned above. Any if not all are virtuosos of the instrument.

However, boys, lets not lose track of the point.

Duet of bass guitar and clavinet on the intro to Disco Inferno. FAT bass line.

sorry, I'm a bass player and I know its sacrilidge, but bass line implies getting you up out your chair. You dig?
^^ from one bass player to another, AMEN
Even if Flea may not be the best bass player, I still feel that the Red Hot Chili Peppers by far make the best use of their bassist.

And Flea live is an amazing event.

I love Red Hot Chili Peppers and there are many songs with cool basses, not just Give it Away. But it's probably the best.
Blanco Perfecto, from Def con Dos... Cool

There's also another Spanish band called Imperfectus Bultus which has a very good bassist, too.
I'm gonna dig back in the vault and pull out a dude I bet most of you have never heard of. But, if you are serious about Bass, you should give him a listen. Jack Casady did most of the bass work for the Jefferson Airplane, but his best work was with Hot Tuna. He didn't just lay down a backbone to a song, but worked his own melodies thoughout it. Incredible stuff to listen to.
If you need references before bothering to dig him up, try reading the Wiki article on him.
Yes - The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)

So many basses in this song, all soloing over one another.

For me:

Police & Theives - The Clash
The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
Sometimes less is more. Can you think of a more recognizable bassline than "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen. People with no concept of music still know that bassline. Obviously there are more complicated and technically amazing basslines and bass players out there, but that bassline made that song a hit.

One of my personal favourites would have to be "The Lemon Song" by Led Zeppelin.
I really like the bass line in that song "Play That Funky Music [White Boy]" I'm probably mis-titling the song but you all know what song I'm talking about right? Razz It's so funky.
IMHO, the best bassist in the world has got to be Victor Wooten, that guy just kicks a whole lot of ass. My favorite bassline is by Les Claypool, that guy's brilliant, right now I'm digging Wyona's Big Brown Beaver; the song is alright, but the bassline is great, gotta love the bassline.
I love the bass line in Vertigo by U2. I'm in marching band and that was part of our show this year. Unfortunately I play flute so I don't get to actually play the bass line, but I loved hearing it.

Actually, a lot of U2 songs have great bass lines, which is one of the reasons I like U2 so much.