FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

please help with download speeds... major slow!

OutlawSpirit
ok...

on bt broadband (8mb) connection is through ethernet...

downloading a file through firefox... which is 4.6mb in size...

its currently downloading at 17.3kb/sec ... and it has even gone as low as 6kb/sec and max of 20kb/sec

this is major slow... can anyone give me any tips on why it is so slow... how to maybe improve my download speeds??

thankyou!
gh0stface
The speed of your download depends on how fast the server is uploading the file to you. Some sites will actually throttle download speeds too. One option that may improve download speeds is to get a download manager program. I myself don't use one so some other person may be able to recommend it.
OutlawSpirit
ok... well in general the download speed is around 12-18 kb/sec on any site i use...

a download manager... any advice from anyone would b real good!

thanks
Teddy1
Firewall's also affect download/upload speeds, But i would think that the cause of this would be the sites you are downloading from, A download manager isn't always that good as most of them are memory hungry and can make your system very unorganized etc... If you wish to use one though even though i don't think that this is the problem, then go for it. Smile Let me know what happens thanks.
Jaan
Try this and see what happens, should fix your problem.
*YEP YEP YEP* *GO TO GOOGLE TYPE IN WAT?*
If you're on Firefox, there is a plugin for it.
Cheers.
judelover
try a multi thread downloading management or program. MultiGet file downloader may help. in most cases it can download at several hundred and even several m s.
Chris24
Have you ever tried Dr. TCP?
Josso
For 8mb that is seriously not right. See if your firewall is restricting bandwidth in any way. Also do a check for any excessive spyware/adware/malware on your system.
xodia
OutlawSpirit wrote:
ok...

on bt broadband (8mb) connection is through ethernet...

downloading a file through firefox... which is 4.6mb in size...

its currently downloading at 17.3kb/sec ... and it has even gone as low as 6kb/sec and max of 20kb/sec

this is major slow... can anyone give me any tips on why it is so slow... how to maybe improve my download speeds??

thankyou!

it all depends on how far you are from your local exchange... if it is more than 3 miles away then that is why... i was on a 1meg connection downloading at about 50k and i should have been downloading at about 200-300k so i moved, now i am downloading on a 12meg connection at around 8-9meg a sec... hope this helps