FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 2000 or XP

Victus13
I've been using Windows XP (Pro) forever now. Every time I install it I find myself removing odds and ends, and having to deal with alot of crap that comes with it by default that just doesnt aid my computing experiance one bit. I also change the GUI to the Classic Style.

I was doing some Computer work for someone, and it invovled installing Windows 2000 on their system. It came empty of crap, and still had the autodetect for USB devices and the like that I so love from Windows XP.
I didnt really get to sit down and play with it, so I thought I would ask here.

Are there any Windows 2000 users? Any huge pro/con's that I should know about before switching?
Anything that I might miss from XP going to 2000?
Any Prominate performance increases for switching?
lukeropro
That's the first time I've ever heard someone wanting to downgrade his/her OS. Try searching google for the advantages of XP and 2000 and the disadvantages and compare them.
kucomp
Some new software require you to use WindowsXP like Windows Defender. However, Windows 2000 is still OK. It doesn't use up as much space as WindowsXP. I still have a computer running Windows 2000 and it's OK! Very Happy
Nyizsa
lukeropro wrote:
That's the first time I've ever heard someone wanting to downgrade his/her OS. Try searching google for the advantages of XP and 2000 and the disadvantages and compare them.

Considering that all of those OSes are basically the same, they just get stuffed with more and more performance-degrading eyecandies, it's quite acceptable, I think. Win2000 somehow seems to have the stability one can expect from an OS. If window$, definitely win2000!

(If they kept on the development of DOS, that would be a good choice also.)
biljap
There is an interesting text "Why upgrade? as it turns out, you might not have to" at http://www.computeruser.com/articles/2105,5,17,1,0501,02.html
judelover
Nyizsa wrote:
lukeropro wrote:

Considering that all of those OSes are basically the same, they just get stuffed with more and more performance-degrading eyecandies, it's quite acceptable, I think. Win2000 somehow seems to have the stability one can expect from an OS. If window$, definitely win2000!

(If they kept on the development of DOS, that would be a good choice also.)

It depends on what you are using the os for. If your interests are focused on internet surfing, typing documents and the like, then win 98 is all right,even the 2000 is not a necessity. If you would like to play online large games then not only winxp but 128mb/128bit graphic cards and 1GB of ram are needed. What's more, xp supports (at least support better) new cards.
cheeta
you are the 1st i came across who wants a down grade... why u want to pay more that XP to get a outdated OS??

XP is far better than Windows 2000 u see there are hundreads of reason there... when u make the switch u will find it in very mouse click

what i suggest u is, Get Microsoft virtual PC... then Install the os in it... and try for ur self ... if u find its for ur need then make a actual switch... Smile
wmm_1
windows 2000@xp have their own speciallities..

for server or network,i think it much ok with 2000..
{name here}
2000 is in basis just a stripped version of XP without the built in firewall(which is basically like not having a firewall at all), fancy icons, and themes. You'd really benefit with all the crap that's been stripped from it performance wise. If you care about customization, then you might like the bloat XP gives to you. Just install the proper protection software and have SP4 installed.
Studio Madcrow
I use Windows 2000 for most of my gaming needs. Up until about 6 months ago, most new games supported Win2000, but I've seen a distubing trend towards things needing (or claiming to need XP) Really there's next to no difference between 2000 SP4 and XP (at least kernel-wise) and XP didn't significaltly change any APIs. Even now, I suspect most games that claim to need XP don't really and only restrict themselves to running on it artificially (aka a simple version string check) because of pressure from M$ on game companies.

It doesn't really matter to me though, as any game new enough to "require" XP is probably too "big" for my P4 1.7 GHz/Geforce 4Ti 4600 rig (I know it's old, but it's good enough for playable framerates in FarCry and UT2K4 and that's all that matters to me)
Jasta30
If I had to guess, MS will discontinue 2000 before xp but that is a guess only. So I would really want to know when support would end on each operating system before deciding on either. I used 2000 at work and it was fine for everthing I did, and I have no issues with xp either so thats why I would want to know the support life of each before deciding.

Just a thought anyway!
kiranaghor
I have been using Windows 2000 happily for last 2 years. I had to reinstall it only a few times that too because of power failures. Otherwise it has everything XP has. A good thing is it does not has crappy Windows firewall Wink
But it is not as attractive as XP GUI...
tamilchild
Windows XP is much better than 2000. I like Windows XP Embarassed
ocalhoun
tamilchild wrote:
Windows XP is much better than 2000.

How?
My gaming PC is running windows 2000, and has no problems at all; I don't miss anything from XP. You may have one problem though; it is not possible to downgrade windows without doing a fresh install.
But yes, windows 2000 is: Faster, More reliable, and less 'user friendly'.
Even it, though takes some tweaking to clean out the crap: take removing the option to keep you from accidentally accessing the /windows directory for example.
Nolt
I preffer if Windows so XP why ? simply cuz I like it and cuz I have orginal copy from my collage where Im study. So I dont need for now illegal copy beside that I have to weak PC for Vista.
blueray
Basically, Of course the most system should be best.
But that most depends on what you will do on it. Such as when you are doing Desktop Publishing.
You will got some issues on winxp but no on win2000.

So, it hard to say which one is best. Personally, I will basic on my jobs.

Hope this help.
LostOverThere
2000 is to buggy, thus why XP came out in 2002.
ocalhoun
LostOverThere wrote:

Windows 2000's number of bugs x Windows 2000's number of bugs = Windows XP's number of bugs.
{name here}
LostOverThere wrote:

All XP is is a sugar-coated version of 2000 for the masses. There are no big technical differences that would mean life or death on your computer.
coreymanshack
I think windows xp has better networking options.
ocalhoun
coreymanshack wrote:
I think windows xp has better networking options.

Anything specific, or just a general impression.
It does handle wireless networks a little more conveniently.
blackorifice
xp dude w/sp2
ocalhoun
^ 2003 server dude; Data center edition...
{name here}
ocalhoun wrote:

Isn't that double the price of XP?
matt9875
XP by far XP may be very expencive and i think it may get overrun by VISTA but even if it does it will remain a brilliant system as it will take a good 1-2 year(s) to get all the bugs out of vista, but XP will remain great and have amasing functionality (if thats how you spell it) due to its coulerful layout and interesting built in commands, but it will always stay on top of the PC lineup as Microsoft, got off to an incredible start, and now 95% of PCs are Microsoft, that leaves 5% for max, linux and all the others, so they dont really have much of a chance at all over the mightly monopoly that is microsoft
ocalhoun
{name here} wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Isn't that double the price of XP?

Sure it is double (or more) the price of XP, but I figure if you're going to pay for an OS (something you could get for free), then money isn't important to you anyway, so why not?
jsaxon2
I would go with Windows XP. Windows 2000 is being phased out by Micro$oft and new programs will just not be able to run on Windows 2000. Also, XP offers much better compatability for gaming.
matt9875
jsaxon2 wrote:
I would go with Windows XP. Windows 2000 is being phased out by Micro$oft and new programs will just not be able to run on Windows 2000. Also, XP offers much better compatability for gaming.

i agree. i like microsoft OS because of its useability but there constantly asking for money from people, and gameing technology (dont know how to spell it) is always advanceing.