FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what is roaming profile

internetjobs
i am using windows 2000 server and windows 2000 clients i created more server loging and all are working properly, and somebody told me about roaming profile, what is roaming profile?
welshsteve
A roaming profile is an user profile that is saved on the PDC server (in Active Directory). An user can log onto any machine on the network that this PDC serves and their profile will be loaded when they log into Windows, even though they have never used that particular machine before.
LethcanAernis
Totally wrong! roaming profile means that your profile moves with you, it is saved on a network share.
Local profile means that your profile is only on the local machine
Mandatory profile means that the profile is always the same, when you log of the changes are not saved in the profile.

PDC doesn't even exist if you run Active Directory, just a PDC emulator. PDC is only in NT 4 networks (also a bit in NT 3.5x)
In Active Directory environment you have DC, domain controllers, there you can on the user object define a path for the roaming profile. The path is usually on a DC but could point to a file server or anything.

welshsteve wrote:
A roaming profile is an user profile that is saved on the PDC server (in Active Directory). An user can log onto any machine on the network that this PDC serves and their profile will be loaded when they log into Windows, even though they have never used that particular machine before.
muggle
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302082
muggle
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302082