FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Fixing the screen size in Vector Linux on Laptop





PatTheGreat42
Alrighty. I gots a problem. I just installed Vector Linux on an IBM Thinkpad i Series that was, until recently, running Windows 98. The installation appears to be working well, as it runs smoothly and nothing has exploded. However, there is one problem.

When I boot up Linux and the GUI activates, it appears in the center of the screen with a one inch wide gap of unused screen around it, so that there is a rather small display of Linux, surrounded by black. Here's a picture:



Now, the goal is, of course, to get the used area of the screen to match the size of the actual area of the screen. I've poked around, but I can't figure out how to get this done, and it's a bit of a bummer, I think we'll agree. So any advice on how to adjust the screen size would be welcome. Thanks!
lukeropro
You double posted
One of the mods please close one the threads
PatTheGreat42
Sorry about that. There was a glitch, and it looked to me like the first time around it didn't post. I fixed it.
djclue917
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
Alrighty. I gots a problem. I just installed Vector Linux on an IBM Thinkpad i Series that was, until recently, running Windows 98. The installation appears to be working well, as it runs smoothly and nothing has exploded. However, there is one problem.

When I boot up Linux and the GUI activates, it appears in the center of the screen with a one inch wide gap of unused screen around it, so that there is a rather small display of Linux, surrounded by black. Here's a picture:



Now, the goal is, of course, to get the used area of the screen to match the size of the actual area of the screen. I've poked around, but I can't figure out how to get this done, and it's a bit of a bummer, I think we'll agree. So any advice on how to adjust the screen size would be welcome. Thanks!


What version of Vector Linux did you install? Have you tried other distros? If yes, how does your "screen" look like in other distros?
PatTheGreat42
Vector Linux Version 5.1

I've livebooted Damn Small Linux on it, and it worked just fine. I think I'm gonna try some other distros, but I'd still really like some advice if anyone knows what's wrong with my Vector setup.
djclue917
I have a hunch that it is an X.org issue. May you please post your xorg.conf. Maybe you could play a little with X's config. Try to look at the Section "Screen" -> SubSection "Display" part of your X config.
corey
Before you mess around any, why not try hitting CTRL and "+" to change to the next resolution on the list. See if that's the issue. If so, then you can edit that section of your xorg.conf file (found in the /etc/X11/ directory), as root, by moving the second resolution to the first in line. Also, you can check the book that came with your laptop and see what horizontal and vertical sync that the display is capable of and change that value, if incorrect, in the same file. Ensure that the driver being loaded is the one for the chipset of your graphics chip.

A nice way to see what works is to check out the xorg.conf file in a distro that works, and even copy it for use in Vector. Vector can be one of the most visually appealing distros when it works. I hope that you can solve the problem (and post back what works for others to know), as everything is always a learning experience.
ezekiel_rage
corey wrote:
Before you mess around any, why not try hitting CTRL and "+" to change to the next resolution on the list. See if that's the issue. If so, then you can edit that section of your xorg.conf file (found in the /etc/X11/ directory), as root, by moving the second resolution to the first in line. Also, you can check the book that came with your laptop and see what horizontal and vertical sync that the display is capable of and change that value, if incorrect, in the same file. Ensure that the driver being loaded is the one for the chipset of your graphics chip.

A nice way to see what works is to check out the xorg.conf file in a distro that works, and even copy it for use in Vector. Vector can be one of the most visually appealing distros when it works. I hope that you can solve the problem (and post back what works for others to know), as everything is always a learning experience.


You can also try to configure your dysplay by using sax. I have not touched Vector for a while now. You can play around with the different resolutions to see what your screen will support. using CTRL + is only a temporary fix.

You should just use the built-in configuration program of Vector.

so you can test before commiting changes to your xorg configuration. to avoid getting a blank screen or frying your graphics chip.

Hope this helps.
ocalhoun
ezekiel_rage wrote:

You can also try to configure your dysplay by using sax.

Thought sax was only found on SuSE... Though it is extremely good for such problems as this.
Related topics
Is it possible, can you build your own laptop from scratch ?
linux question...
Please help. I have a problem with installing FreeBSD
PlayStation 3
Which Linux?
TV tuner for linux laptop
Icon Design: Bitmap vs Vector. The explanation
What Runs The Xbox 360 And The PS3 ..... Which Is Better ?
Best Gaming Laptop
Micro-review: Gateway P-7811 FX gaming laptop
Web Pages and Viewer's Screen Size
Laptop for video editing
Should I buy this laptop?
Smartphone screen size
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.