FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Vegetarian Lifestyle





cathylmg
Here is something to share from my blog:_

Vegetarianism


People who switch to a vegetarian lifestyle do so for many reasons. It might be for the purpose of reducing suffering, improving ones health, environmental issues, or religious requirements. Just to name a few.

Whether is by choice or circumstances, leading an animal friendly lifestyle do make a difference in the world. By abstaining from meat, eggs, diaries and other animal by products from your life, you can make a statement against cruelty to animals, raise awareness toward environmental issues which results in helping to heal the earth, as well as gain health benefits. By supporting the production of vegetarian products through your purchases, you are supporting a more sustainable vegetarian lifestyle. It also helps to send a strong message to the society to become aware of a more humane way of living.

Contrary to popular believe of boring, tasteless dishes with limited choice, the fact is that you don’t have to go without your usual favorite food at all. Here are some of the many foods that are available.

You can get veggie burgers, hot dogs or sausages, tofu, minced meat, bacon, almond milk, soy milk, rice milks (mostly fortified with calcium, vitamins D and vitamin B12), non-diary ice cream, sorbets, desserts, cheeses, etc…from most supermarkets. You can even find a variety of vegetarian beers, wines, and champagne too, if you look hard enough. Not to mention the different types of fruits, grains, nuts, seeds and vegetables to choose from. And if you are craving for some more local food, you can also get chicken rice, rojak, mee rebus, mee siam, laksa, shark fin soups, and a whole variety of hawker food choices, from vegetarian food stalls & food courts that are scattered in many towns areas in Singapore.

So you see? There is an abundance choice of food and living a life of compassion by adopting the vegetarian way could most probably change your life for the better.

Cathy Liew
http://govege.blogspot.com
glabase
Hey Cathy!

I completely agree... I've been a vegeterian for about 3 months now and I'm lovin' every minute of it. A lot of people say that you NEED meat for protein when in fact the large majority of meat contains fats. I just stick to nuts, beans, eggs things like that.

I don't think I could become vegan... u?
microgolf
hello, well i think (not all of you guys) that allot of young people tend to just follow a trend that's is going on, i only know 2 vegetariens who can realy tell me why they do it and they still hunger for meat, but no they don't go there, all the rest i know "they still eat fish" or "i'm not a 100% vegetarian" please...
rachelisntlost
Hi Cathy,
Nice post Smile
I entirely agree with a vegetarian lifestyle, I think it is completely healthier overall- if your diet is balanced and makes you feel GOOD when you're eating, then why wouldn't you choose that kind of diet? I have always found eating lots of meat makes me queasy and gives me an odd full feeling, rather then from having a vegetarian meal, that makes me feel light and happy.

Now, before I dig myself into a hole.. I'm going to admit that I do not practice what I preach. Since I cook, and love to deal with food- I do not limit myself to specific foods, and so I do cook with meat as well. However, I do abstain from eating beef and pork on a regular basis- rarely, really. But nonetheless, I do encourage eating as little meat as possible Smile

Rachel
jobu
did 3 years as a veggie not vegan Smile

great thing you wrote there.

The only negative I see is the junkfood veggieheads. They think crackers, cookies, sugar, sugar and ore sugar is still considered being a veggie, which it is but boy its bad for ya.

leafy greens are as close to god as we get !! So yummy.
shrinkwrap
Yup. Smile I've been a vegetarian for about a year and a half now.

I don't think people who eat fish are vegetarians. Is fish a vegetable? I just don't eat anything with a face.
em0o
i could do it, but only part time lol. Being a vegetarian is difficult, you have to make sure you have enough of the vitamins and proteins deficient in veggies that you need from other foods that you eat. Some people neglect it and it ends up hurting htem in hte long run.
Drawingguy
I don't know, but I feel sad about killing a plant. Just as sad as killing an animal, in my view. For that reason, I don't understand the vegetarian standpoint of complete humanity. It's alright, in the sense that animals are somewhat more sentient than plants, but hey, life is life, right? I guess it's good for you, though. I mean good for you in moderation, because there isn't any real health-related advantage to eating all non-meats, all the time. Have some meat now and then, just don't overdo it.
Keran
I think there was an exactly same thread somewhere else in the forum.
I wrote there that veg... is bullsh** and i will never understand why u give a crap to make ur life even worse. (well actually i was softer there, but thats exactly what i think now ;] )
I guess my opinion hasn't changed since then ;]
Serafina
Vegetarianism wouldn't be that bad.

Tofu is really good if you cook it right. American cooking styles simply don't do tofu justice, tofu in Chinese and Indian food is soooo good.
Daisie
I am French and as you know, food is a big thing for us. I was bought up with pate, saucisson, venaison, bourgignon, charcuterie (smoked ham and so on) and I coudlnt give it up... And I m not to keen on vegs anyway. I fail miserably to be exited by a plate of green cabbage...
But if that make you feel better, I only by organic free range meat Wink

We are omnivore to start with, we are build to eat veg and meat and I dont see no reason to change that, it's part of who we are.
What make me laught tho is people who say " I m vegeratirian but I eat fish and chicken...." Well I m a non smoker exept for cigarettes Wink

But hey, everyone do wot they want with their life hey ?
mstreet
I dig the tofu and all the protein alternatives that I have found over the years but I still eat red meat now and then not all the time. I think its balance.
TexasWes
I'm always amazed at how people try to simplify the complexities of life. The vegetarian lifestyle is a healthier life? I doubt it. I've watched my father-in-law turn vegetarian and now he's borderline anorexia. How about you try this one on for size? Eat MOSTLY veggies, enough meats to maintain your protein, and stay physically active (exercise or a strenuous job).
If being a vegetarian is such a great lifestyle, why is there so much greater mortality/morbidity in countries that are mostly vegetarian?
And as for the "a fish has feelings" people...these (and you know who "these" people are) people are the same ones that say a human fetus does not have feelings. Please keep these two concepts separate. I think increasing veggies is good for your health--that's a health issue. Not eating meat because it's somehow unethical is an activist issue--your own belief that really does a disservice to those who are merely looking to improve their health through a change in diet. [puts soapbox away]
I'm going to go have a nice big salad with a side order of steak. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do eat vegetarians.
chastise
Let me make one thing clear, you don't kill a plant by eating your vegetables. You're giving it a trim. And about the anorexia. There are healthy vegetarians and there are unhealthy ones. Same with human omnivores. There are obese people, anorexic people, and healthy ones too. I was raised a vegan. A person who doesn't use any thing from an animal. (fur, egg, dairy, honey, etc.) And I'm healthy.

And oh please, vegetarianism is quite easy compared to veganism and even so, being a vegan is still easy. I'm asked quite a lot "how do you get enough protein" and now I just simply reply "by eating enough food". Everyone has to watch what they eat omnivore OR herbivore. The problem in North America is not protein deficiency but getting too much of it. If you get too much protein, it results in kidney cancer.
leaningforward
Good for you vegitarians. I'm not one but I do buy organic as much as possible. I also try and buy local when I can which is really good for many reasons.
vervaeke
Vegetarianism involves drawing an arbitrary moral line, and most people who follow the lifestyle don't realize this. They see it as black and white. Let me just throw this one out - How about a plant that eats flys? Carniverous plants, can you eat those?
Daisie
vervaeke wrote:
Let me just throw this one out - How about a plant that eats flys? Carniverous plants, can you eat those?


lol! Very good one!
Yantaal
Daisie wrote:
I am French and as you know, food is a big thing for us. I was bought up with pate, saucisson, venaison, bourgignon, charcuterie (smoked ham and so on) and I coudlnt give it up... And I m not to keen on vegs anyway. I fail miserably to be exited by a plate of green cabbage...
But if that make you feel better, I only by organic free range meat Wink

We are omnivore to start with, we are build to eat veg and meat and I dont see no reason to change that, it's part of who we are.
What make me laught tho is people who say " I m vegeratirian but I eat fish and chicken...." Well I m a non smoker exept for cigarettes Wink

But hey, everyone do wot they want with their life hey ?





good call on the fish and chicken bit. i am avegan.

the platye opf green cabbage..? if you are afrench and have been brought up on food then you know as well as we do thats not all we can eat.

its healthier, its nicer, and if everyone did it, it would be better for the world.
vw_bugg
I am working on becoming vegan and i can say the one thing that will be thehardest to give up is Purecane sugar. Though right now to expensive i plan on giving it up in the future because they use bone char to filter it. This thought creeps me out a bit. I drin a lot of Iced tea too which i use a lot of sugar.

I could substitute Raw Sugar instead i really like it.

I really miss marshmellows, gummy candy, cheese, rib meat, fish, meat lovers pizza, list goes on.

I am hungry i think i will get some food now.

Maybe that tofu i baked, tastes like chicken...no really it does!
chastise
vervaeke wrote:
Vegetarianism involves drawing an arbitrary moral line, and most people who follow the lifestyle don't realize this. They see it as black and white. Let me just throw this one out - How about a plant that eats flys? Carniverous plants, can you eat those?


Majority of plants aren't insectivores. Personally, I just think of my diet as "I don't kill anything to eat it" Now saying that, many people who just hop to conclusions, without thinking things through say "Oh, but you kill plants." But that isn't true. I merely give them a haircut. Even if I do eat a plant that has to be "killed", it doesn't have a central nervous system. I get this question a lot: "Does it hurt the carrot when you chop it?" and I just simply reply "Does your pet rock get offended when you don't walk it?".
bassman
I was a vegetarian for five years, during which I was the thinest I've ever been. However, towards the end, I didn't eat healthily- just with no meat- and I definitely was the biggest I've ever been. So it really depends on how you eat, not whether or not you eat meat. I think that towards the end, I was not careful about getting all the nutrients I needed. Protein comes in a lot of various ways, but you have to get it more ways than, say, cheese. In the end, I didn't really remember why I became a vegetarian (I was in fifth grade when I began) and so I stopped. I think that now I eat better than I did when I was a vegetarian, but it's not because I'm not a vegetarian. It's just because I'm careful to get all of the nutrients that my body needs.
UCLighthouse
I have been vegetarian my entire life mostly because of religious reasons. However, I believe that it is definitely a healthy way to live. It is true, people can become fat off of a vegetarian diet--there are plenty of unhealthful vegetarian foods (i.e. french fries, cookies, ice cream, etc.) So those don't exactly go hand in hand. I have been vegan for 4 years and since I turned vegan I have definitely been in better physical shape. I have been able to exercise longer and keep off excess weight. I have never been "overweight" but I have been heavier than what I prefer. In general, to stay the healthiest it is recommended to stay away from refined foods and eat lots of vegetables, fruits, and some sort of protein (I usually eat beans, but vege-meat products work too).
m_furquan36
Definately one of the most healthiest ways to live Smile ive been on greens for about 3 months now and going strong.
tiel_99
Hi Cathy,

I tried being a vegetarian at 17 because I felt very guilty about eating meat. It did't last long because when I started working, I found it very difficult to maintain the diet because of the food choices where I live. We are surrounded by food everywhere, and it's all meat, meat, meat. Also, when you're out with clients and colleagues, it is hard and impolite to refuse to eat meat when you are sitting at the same table.

What's more, if you're eating out, vegetarian meals are more expensive than meat dishes, so that made it even harder for me to stick to it. I do enjoy vegetarian foods, but it is hard to come by and even if I chose only vegetable dishes, they would have been prepared with some pork or chicken stock etc.

How did you stick to being a vegetarian for so long?

________________________________________
www.digitalvideolessons.com
Resource Centre for Digital Video Productions
spazbutt32
Above poster: personal motivation or just sheer force of will, I'd guess
---
Vegetarian diets are unhealthier, unnatural and more expensive to sustain than an omnivorous diet.

Even though some people claim eating only red meat is good for you, it's not entirely true, but the same for vegetarians. An all-plant diet leads to deficiencies in many important nutrients, and since there are really no distinct food groups that provide ALL of these nutrients in acceptable quantities it can be argued that an omnivorous diet is the best choice.

By the same token, humankind wouldn't have developed the tools and motivation necessary to hunt animals for food if they didn't need to-- necessity is the mother of all invention. This is another event leading to the conclusion that there should be meat included in a healthy diet.

Some argue that because the digestive tract of man is longer in comparison to that of a carnivore's, he is suited to plant fiber because meat would rot in the system from being there so long, causing detrimental or toxic effects. I believe that this merely means meat is the secondary element, and outside of obtaining essential amino acids and other meat-only nutrients it shouldn't be eaten.
fx-trading-education
Jut some personal thoughts:

First of all I am not so much in favor of eating meat but eating many different things is an advantage and removing any part of our "normal" diet is bad (event if it's only meat).
Ans any extremism is usualy bad and not eating something that is natural to human like meat is I think quite an extreme behaviour.

Do you know that if human didn't have eaten meat through history their brain would have develop much slower (of course it has effect only on the long term but over many thousand years it makes a huge diference)

Some people don't want to eat meat because you have to kill animals (for plants you don't really kill them but you eat anyway a living thing specially when you have to destroy the whole plant to eat it like for carrots or potatoes)
Anyway if you don't want to kill other animals the only solution is to kill yourself because you anyway kill "animals" just because you live.
When you breath, you walk, you move in your bed you are killing animals. Of course they are microscopic ones so you don't care.
But why do you care for big animals and not microscopic one, on a moral point it's a non sense.
linangan
^ I actually agree with the post above.

I understand why people choose to be vegetarians for health reasons or 'just because they want to.' After all, it is healthy. Although vegetarians should also be careful and be very conscious about what they eat, because it's hard to find veggies or fruits that have the nutrients to compensate for those that meat has in large quantities.

That said, I don't get how you can be "animal friendly" by becoming vegetarians. Sure, you don't 'encourage' killing animals because you don't eat them, so you're killing plants instead? And what about the herbivores, you're taking their share of food! And you really wouldn't want for EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD to become vegetarians, unless you haven't heard of maintaining the balance in the food chain. I know these sound like extreme points, but I think that trying to convince other people to become vegetarian because of animal rights is also an extreme idea.
Mare
If you are a vegetarian you are only hurting your body by not giving it what it needs. You CANT get all neutreans, vitamines, fats etc... from only vegetables. Yes you get alot of vitamines from vegetables but some vitamines dissolves in watter and some in fat. So dont full yourselfs that fats are only bad thing... they are not. In human nature is that we eat diferent cind of food and that is NORMAL.
It is just ment to be that we kill animals to provide food for us. Yes it is crule but it is natural.
Rengidar
Mare wrote:
If you are a vegetarian you are only hurting your body by not giving it what it needs. You CANT get all neutreans, vitamines, fats etc... from only vegetables. Yes you get alot of vitamines from vegetables but some vitamines dissolves in watter and some in fat. So dont full yourselfs that fats are only bad thing... they are not. In human nature is that we eat diferent cind of food and that is NORMAL.
It is just ment to be that we kill animals to provide food for us. Yes it is crule but it is natural.


Mare, I think you are a bit too harsh here. You most definitely can get all the things you need - even if you don't eat meat. You probably cannot get all the nutrients, vitamines, etc. if you simply stop eating meat without altering your menu but if you replace meat with other things which provide you with the things which are in meat, then you most certainly can get everything your body needs.

And on a different note - nothing in this world is 'meant'. And we cannot know what is in 'human nature' and what is not. Such arguments (usually Christian people use them in discussions with atheists) are absolutely worthless.
Yantaal
it just makes me to ****** angry when people ay that vegetarians arn't healthy, it makes shake i hear it, and it just shows so much bullshit, and ignorance, i have decided to let you now how i feel but not explain they many ways you are wrong
crimson_aria
I love vegetables. I don't know why many people don't find them delicious. Lately I've been eating mostly vegetables. I don't eat meat much like before.
HoChiMo
Drawingguy wrote:
I don't know, but I feel sad about killing a plant. Just as sad as killing an animal, in my view. For that reason, I don't understand the vegetarian standpoint of complete humanity. It's alright, in the sense that animals are somewhat more sentient than plants, but hey, life is life, right? I guess it's good for you, though. I mean good for you in moderation, because there isn't any real health-related advantage to eating all non-meats, all the time. Have some meat now and then, just don't overdo it.


well, I guess it's just because of the necessarity of it. you can obviously live without eating meat (and even milk/eggs, for that matter) but you cannot live without plants.
furtasacra
Can somebody recommend a good vegetarian cookbook? I don't have any intention of becoming a full-on vegetarian, because there's no earthly way I'm giving up seafood (my favorite), but I prefer not to eat a lot of meat. It's fattening, and makes me feel bloated and sluggish.

I love seafood and like chicken, but sometimes I don't want those either, and could use some really good vegetarian recipes. I also have several friends who are vegetarian, and I'd like to have a better and more extensive range of things to cook for when they visit.

Suggestions, anyone?
Yantaal
HoChiMo wrote:
Drawingguy wrote:
I don't know, but I feel sad about killing a plant. Just as sad as killing an animal, in my view. For that reason, I don't understand the vegetarian standpoint of complete humanity. It's alright, in the sense that animals are somewhat more sentient than plants, but hey, life is life, right? I guess it's good for you, though. I mean good for you in moderation, because there isn't any real health-related advantage to eating all non-meats, all the time. Have some meat now and then, just don't overdo it.


well, I guess it's just because of the necessarity of it. you can obviously live without eating meat (and even milk/eggs, for that matter) but you cannot live without plants.



Wrong


Fruitarians dont kill plants they only eat stuff that drops of of trees, like a[ppples oranges, blackberries, that kind of thing, obviously the list goes on, but that wy they arnt kiling the plant simply eating its discarded seed
furtasacra
crimson_aria wrote:
I love vegetables. I don't know why many people don't find them delicious. Lately I've been eating mostly vegetables. I don't eat meat much like before.


I can tell you why a lot of people don't like vegetables. Simple. A lot of people grow up being fed mushy, colorless, tasteless, overcooked, nasty vegetables.

Case in point: I developed an aversion to broccoli in the 2nd grade after a psychotic cafeteria attendant at school made me eat broccoli that had been boiled until it was squishy and yellow. I didn't/wouldn't/couldn't touch broccoli again for over a decade. I still ate other veggies, just not broccoli.

I know plenty of folks who simply turn up their nose at ANYTHING green without even tasting it, and I'm willing to bet most of them had bad experiences with overcooked vegetables on a daily basis as children.
srujanlive
It is a common experience that i have had. People i come across complaining of gas trouble, indigestion , constipation are usually non vegetarians. Most of them seem to lose their complaints when they sto eating meat. It is far too common to be considered just coincidence. We vegetarians generally eat healthy and remain healthy. Obesity is much less common amongst us. I hate it when friends poke fun at my being a vegetarian when they have trouble after a meal largely consisting of meat. ppersonally for me, switching over to vegetarianism brought a relief to me from my allergies. And that was quite a relief
furtasacra
srujanlive wrote:
It is a common experience that i have had. People i come across complaining of gas trouble, indigestion , constipation are usually non vegetarians. Most of them seem to lose their complaints when they stop eating meat. It is far too common to be considered just coincidence. We vegetarians generally eat healthy and remain healthy. Obesity is much less common amongst us. I hate it when friends poke fun at my being a vegetarian when they have trouble after a meal largely consisting of meat. personally for me, switching over to vegetarianism brought a relief to me from my allergies. And that was quite a relief


You forgot heartburn. Voracious meat-eaters constantly complain about heartburn.

Personally, I think it's just the fat and grease. I can't even eat tater tots, french fries or onion rings without getting heartburn.

I eat meat, but not a lot, and it has to be lean. I had steak tonight for dinner, because hubby apparently thinks he'll shrivel up and die if he doesn't eat a big slab of dead cow every Friday. I only ate a little bit of mine, and I still feel a touch icky.

I am seriously considering boycotting beef and pork. Poultry and seafood don't give me heartburn unless fried, which I don't much like, anyway.

That wouldn't really be vegetarian, though. Would that make me a nonbeefandporkitarian? Wink
starfish2007
I try andkeep a ballence of things and don't eat all vegtables or all meet but try to have good balance of both
Related topics
Vegetarianism
Vegetarianism
"Buddha knows all answers!"
Vegetarian...
My Blog
Link exchange for a vegetarian blog?
Types of Vegetarians
what do you think about vampirism?
How important is excercise to you?
Why a vegetarian diet is healthier than eating meat
Vegetarian on a budget
Go Veg to Save the Loving Atmosphere of the Planet
Why is Vegetarian Diet the best for all....
Paleo Diet/Primal lifestyle
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.