FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Speed Up firefox

lukeropro
I got it off another forum. I tried it and it worked perfectly, now pages load much faster than before in firefox.

1. Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining
network.http.proxy.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true" from False

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true" from False

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 500 requests at once. From 4

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

OR download the FasterFox extension, it does all the above for you and there are more features.

That's it. If you're using dial-up, don't bother to follow whatever is above
webgeek
The last line spoils it for me. My FireFox really loads slow. I'd be happy if it could go any faster.
lukeropro
If you're using dial-up then you can't blame firefox. dial-up is like 56kbps while broadband can go up to 10mbps. Compare that.
Dragonfly-online
Wow, i added that little end line (for some reason all of the others were all ready set to false), and now its like it all loads at once, and its so quick... btw - i have 54mbps
Daisie
Shocked WOW! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you so much for the info ! Did as you said and now surfing is a bliss once again.
I m recently new to Firefox and found that loading time seem so slow compared to Explorer... no any more !

Is it ok if I pass on this info?
Tvis
This is great!!

I've been using Firefox for quite a while now, and it works so much better than Internet Explorer. Even the new Internet Explorer version 7 doesn't really make my heart beat faster, although you see a lot of things that Firefox already used earlier.

I have been using Netscape in the early days. Then moved on to Internet Explorer and for many years I used this one. I really didn't want to move to Firefox. Until I read so many good critics about it and thought, I'd give it a shot. Since then I cannot go back...Firefox is great! And now, thanks to lukeropro we learn a bit more! Way to go dude!
lukeropro
Yeah daisie you can pass it around, I found it from another forum too.
dingdongduck08
another thing you could do to speed up firefox is download the fasterfox extension.

this extension allows firefox to make 5 connects to where ever you are going, and is very user friendly.

in addition, you can tell the fasterfox to download so many levels of links beforehand, meaning it basically downloads the website into the cache before you even click on a link to it.
psycosquirrel
Wow.

This just made my T2 seem a lot faster.

Thanks a ton for the tips. I dont even have to wait, the pages load before i can even tell they are loading Very Happy
budazz
thnks for the tip.... ill try that one...............what if i only have dial up connection./.... so it is useless also
saurabh.sauron
well all network tweaks can be done through the FasterFOx extension. i have been using it for some time now. It gives Performance and Network tweaks. u will love it.
umeshtangnu
Tvis" This is great!!

I've been using Firefox for quite a while now, and it works so much better than Internet Explorer. Even the new Internet Explorer version 7 doesn't really make my heart beat faster, although you see a lot of things that Firefox already used earlier.

I have been using Netscape in the early days. Then moved on to Internet Explorer and for many years I used this one. I really didn't want to move to Firefox. Until I read so many good critics about it and thought, I'd give it a shot. Since then I cannot go back...Firefox is great! And now, thanks to lukeropro we learn a bit more! Way to go dude!

same here thank you lukeropro for sharing ur knowledge
surdy
I love firefox. It improved my overall surfing experince quite a lot.

and when u get to see such tweaks...what more do i need

Thanks buddy for this helpful peice of information

who need IE ...firefox rules
lukeropro
saurabh.sauron wrote:
well all network tweaks can be done through the FasterFOx extension. i have been using it for some time now. It gives Performance and Network tweaks. u will love it.

Yeah I'm using the fasterfox extension and it does all that I've said and more!
Go download it
angelussum
sweet, i'll be sure to check this out, i've always found firefox to be slow sometimes
sunpascal
hm, that's interesting.
How come that's not the default after the installation of firefox?

Does that have a bad side to it? "side effects"?

I don't quite get how that works
jwellsy
I am having a problem with left clicking known good links in firefox.
It seems like I have picked up a bug or something.
I can right click and open any link in a new tab, but thats about it.
I do already have the fasterfox installed on FF2.0 .

When I tried this 'about:config' thing a chart comes up but it is empty.
It has headers for preference name, status, type and value.
But nothing at all is listed and it never populates with anything.

It seems to have started with the last set of windows updates
I did just a few days ago.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Thanks
Jeff
Daisie
Thank you Smile
dac_nip
I saw this tutorial in the UBUNTU HOWTO. Very Happy
Peterssidan
I think it's hard to see if it's faster after these changes. The pages can't sent more data because of this but maby its faster when the side is already loaded.
redice
I use firefox, I'm not feel it slow. Maybe this will make my firefox faster. I'll bookmark it and try later.
JBotAlan
I'm afraid this doesn't come without a price--to the host. I'm sure that if you're making five hundred connections to Frihost, they aren't going to enjoy the huge bursts of traffic from us Firefox users.

BTW, I would use Fasterfox but I don't because I'm sharing a neighbor's wireless and it is fairly unreliable. Fasterfox just had the tendency to aggravate the ever-fluctuating problem.

I will never use Fasterfox, and I only use my download manager on people with huge servers--Microsoft comes to mind (I get 5-600K per second when downloading through DownThemAll, my download manager).

JBot
Peterssidan
Today I change back to the default settings. I think I can see some different now and I never gonna change these settings again. I think it's works best without that setting you told.
tumpat
that really usefull...thanks to you..it really works...

my firefox become faster than usual..
makak
Thank you, is work Smile
Alias
Wow! It really works! Thanks for the info dude my Firefox browser speed up for about 5x! This is really great. Smile
Trios
The FasterFox extension has got a very annoying bad side, it makes Firefox display the wrong image on the wrong place. I don't know if anoyne else got it, but i uninstalled it.
Sergiy
This is realy useful. My firefox is now faster. Very Happy
Tools and Cheese
This works, I tried it and the pages do load faster. My Firefox got killed somehow, I need to re-install it. Currently using IE.