FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Freeware games...

Studio Madcrow
I've noticed there's a thread about free online games, but I don't see anything about free SP games. So here it is. I know most freeware games are crap, but a large (and growing) number aren't and this is about them.

So what do you play for free when you don't want to interact with other people, even over the Net? Well, I tend to like the rogue-like RPG genre. These are sort of text mode ancestors of Diablo, in that they're very action-oriented, yet have lots of RPG type stuff. My favorite is ZAngband, but I also like SLASH'EM, which even has a fully graphical Diablo-like interface available for wimpy people who are afraid of terminal windows...
Daisie
My kid is on maplestory,free to play but if you want cute stuff or weapons you gotta pay, I havent payed nothing and she is having heaps of fun. (it's very manga/kid orientated)
I ll check out Zangband, might be fun for me ! Laughing
lukeropro
It's quite stupid to pay for items in a game. Once you lose the item, you're losing money.
7Pound7
what is discussed here? i don't understand. are we talking about free internet games?
every game you play costs time. and time is equal to money. so there is no free game possible, unless you install it and leave it like that. but that is no play. i heard about maplestory btw. a nephew of me loved or loves it. don't know if he still plays it. seems to be good though and fun. never heard of zangbang or whatever it is called.

goodluck
nigam
no links for freeware games?
xerosyne
You could try Abandonware. Games that are past their sell by date and re-released for free.
Nameless
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Well, I tend to like the rogue-like RPG genre. These are sort of text mode ancestors of Diablo, in that they're very action-oriented, yet have lots of RPG type stuff. My favorite is ZAngband, but I also like SLASH'EM, which even has a fully graphical Diablo-like interface available for wimpy people who are afraid of terminal windows...

I'd hardly call roguelikes action-orientated. They *are* turn based after all, and require a lot more strategy than most 'normal' RPGs.
jordansymon
You could try Americas Army, I actualy played it over Battle Field 2 for a while. They just didnt update it enough...
bigdan
Tux Racer's a hoot! Very Happy
FaLLeN
Yes Americas Army is good, im 81 honour Razz

But i believe this thread is about offline free games?
bigdan
Tux Racer can be downloaded and played offline...does that count?
Studio Madcrow
bigdan wrote:
Tux Racer can be downloaded and played offline...does that count?

Tux Racer is one of the best Linux games I've played. It's a shame that it went commercial and that the various projects based on the final GPL release never got very far...
enygmasoft
Studio Madcrow wrote:
I've noticed there's a thread about free online games, but I don't see anything about free SP games. So here it is. I know most freeware games are crap, but a large (and growing) number aren't and this is about them.

So what do you play for free when you don't want to interact with other people, even over the Net? Well, I tend to like the rogue-like RPG genre. These are sort of text mode ancestors of Diablo, in that they're very action-oriented, yet have lots of RPG type stuff. My favorite is ZAngband, but I also like SLASH'EM, which even has a fully graphical Diablo-like interface available for wimpy people who are afraid of terminal windows...

Thats why theres that old saying "you get what you pay for." There are very few freeware games that are worth playing.
AG007
jordansymon wrote:
You could try Americas Army, I actualy played it over Battle Field 2 for a while. They just didnt update it enough...

I play Americas Army, they just release an update for the game, 2.7.
They incorporated an AI, and three new maps, one multiplayer and two co-op maps.
One bad thing of these release is that demands a lot from your PC. But, my labtop handled it with ease.
Anyway is a good game for free!
Studio Madcrow
enygmasoft wrote:
Thats why theres that old saying "you get what you pay for." There are very few freeware games that are worth playing.

Actually, that not true. While the PERCENTAGE of freeware/open source games that are good is low, the NUMBER of good free games is large, if you know how to sort through the crap to get to the good stuff. The point of this thread was to point out the WEALTH of GOOD free games available.
Nameless
Studio Madcrow wrote:
enygmasoft wrote:

Actually, that not true. While the PERCENTAGE of freeware/open source games that are good is low, the NUMBER of good free games is large, if you know how to sort through the crap to get to the good stuff. The point of this thread was to point out the WEALTH of GOOD free games available.

What he said. There are many, many fun freeware games well worth playing, and many that are arguably better and more fun to play than most commercial games. Sure there are many crap freeware games, but a little careful searching and persistence will turn up plenty you enjoy.

And let's face it - there are very few commercial games that are worth playing as well. Walk into your nearest shop that sells video games and 9/10 of the games on the shelf you will think will suck or won't enjoy. And there's a much larger variety of freeware games, also.