FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

linkman2004
Hey, is anybody else here currently playing Twilight Princess? I got it at launch day, and it most definitely rocks. Very Happy

Swining the Wiimote to swing the sword really does add another layer of immersion, plus it just plain rocks. Razz I also find aiming withe the slingshot incredibly easy and fun.

The only thing I really don't like about it, though is the over use of the Wiimote speaker. Sometimes I'd rather just have my sword swinging sounds come from the TV. But, oh well.

So what are everybody elses likes/dislikes about the game?
Whong
linkman2004 wrote:
Hey, is anybody else here currently playing Twilight Princess? I got it at launch day, and it most definitely rocks. Very Happy

Swining the Wiimote to swing the sword really does add another layer of immersion, plus it just plain rocks. Razz I also find aiming withe the slingshot incredibly easy and fun.

The only thing I really don't like about it, though is the over use of the Wiimote speaker. Sometimes I'd rather just have my sword swinging sounds come from the TV. But, oh well.

Good for you man!! Very Happy

Still about 15 days more for Wii to launch in Finland, but I will get the Zelda game right away at the launch! Very Happy

Waiting is so tough!Very Happy
Victus13
No, I havent yet gotten a chance to play it, though Im itching too.
I didnt pick myself up a Wii when they were released here, and I probly wont for a few more months, so I will have to wait to try out Twilight Princess.

Redsteel looks damn awesome as well. I cant wait to stand in my living room and jump around with the Wiimote Laughing
hofodomo01
The new Zelda artwork looks pretty awesome. Am I crazy in hoping that it'll live up to the Ocarina of Time?
Patriot Players
A lot of the reviews have said it seems as though the Wii elements for the game were tacked on at the last minute in order to sell more consoles. As if attempting to confirm this, Nintendo isnt releasing the Gamecube version of the game until early December. I for one am incredibly disappointed. None of the other launch titles for the Wii seem worth buying, which must be why Nintendo had to force Twilight Princess to the Wii. I'll wait for the Gamecube version, and buy a Wii when Super Smash Brothers: Brawl comes out...
xorcist
linkman2004 wrote:

Just turn the Wiimote Speaker all the way down. I just did that when I got tired of the sound. Just press the home key and then scroll all the way down and go to Wii Remote Settings and turn it all the way down.
Ghengis
First, those who said the Wiimote experience was "tacked on" have no clue what they're talking about. I got mine on launch as well and I honestly can't imagine playing this on the Gamecube. You use the wiimote's motion sensing for all kinds of things. For those who haven't played yet:

*Swing the 'mote to use your sword
*Shake the 'cuk to do a spin attack
*Aim any aimable weapons with the 'mote
*Shake off enemies that grab you
*Look around with the 'mote
*Steer yourself when flying (you'll see!)

Sure, you *could* accomplish most of these with an analog stick and/or some buttons, but with the wiimote, it just feels right.

Of course, all that wouldn't matter if the game was crap, but Twilight Princess does not disappoint. I think this game is good enough to be worthy of the Zelda moniker, and that's *really* saying something. All the right elements are there -- fun combat, good story, interesting NPCs, elaborate dungeon puzzles and even a sidekick that you don't want to strangle (I'm looking at you, Tingle). For those that care about that sort of thing, the graphics are even pretty good. Like most people with a launch Wii, I don't have component cables yet; the stores couldn't seem to stock any brand, at any price. But, for what 480i is capable of, the Wii can handle itself. I can say this -- I've never seen a Gamecube game that looks nearly this good. The NPC interactions using the normal game engine could have been cinematics in a GC game, easily.

Overall, in case I haven't made it clear yet, I'm *very* pleased with this title. I've been playing almost non-stop (except for stopping every 15 minutes to run errands for my wife Mad) since Sunday, and I've loved almost every minute, except for one or two frustrating non-obvious puzzles. I would say that any Zelda fan owes it to themselves to track down a Wii and pick this bad boy up. I don't think the GC will do it justice.
Fire Boar
Did you know that the Gamecube version is a mirror image of the Wii version? If there's a shop on the left on the Wii game, for example, it would be on the right in the GC version.

I for one am not sure how the Wiimote would work in a Zelda game, but I have faith in the hundreds of reviews I've read that confirm its awesomeness.
Whong
Fire Boar wrote:

I for one am not sure how the Wiimote would work in a Zelda game, but I have faith in the hundreds of reviews I've read that confirm its awesomeness.

I haven't yet had a chance to try it but I really believe that Nintendo absolutely knows what it is doing and has made a really great game experience for us! Very Happy
Jakob [JaWGames]
I don´t have the game yet, unfortunately it is about ten days before it comes to sweden but I am really seeing forward to it.

About "tacked on features", I don´t think that it makes the game worser in any way to use the wiimote instead of the old gamecube controller, especially the swordfighting sounds interesting, and I have a memory of that someone in a recension said that you are stupid if you buys it to gamecube...

But hmm, I have not played the game yet so I may have wrong.
m-productions
well i cant wait for it to come out on the GC heehee, tho i will be picking up a WII at some point, and ill porbly pick up TP for it aswell
jimmy
Not coming to Ireland untill the 8th of December, I can't wait but unfortunately I'm in my last year of school so I probably shouldn't spend it playing Zelda, but it is just so tempting.
Are the graphics any good? Because that really was a problem with nintendo's Gamecube (correct me if i'm wrong), whose graphics I thought were pretty lousy in comparison to Playstation2 and Xbox. I really want to give my money to Nintendo as I have been playing on their consoles since i was tiny, so I was just wondering if anybody has any first hand comments on the wii that might help me make my descision?
Jayfarer
I played a couple hours of it on Wii, and it is excellent. I'm waiting for the GCN version though, since that was how it was originally meant to be played. But the game is fun and great, everything you want & need from Zelda. At least so far.
Fire Boar
Graphics are certainly +++ed compared with the last generation, but the PS3 and XBox 360 surpass it in this department. Gamecube had the best graphics in the last generation, believe it or not, it's just that a lot of developers didn't push the limits of the cube.

But I for one am 100% satisfied with great-but-not-mindblowing graphics and enormous fun.
TonkPilz
i have a feeling that i will go hungry this month i am a big fan of the zelda games and i simply must get my hands on a wii and zelda:tp.
Temra
Its not out here in Australia yet, ebcause the Wii isn't out here, but I am really looking forward to it! All of the images and things that I have seen and read about it have made me really want to play it. It looks like (for me) that it might be the best Zelda yet. I am so jealous of all of you people who get to play it now.
Jazradem
I'm really looking forward to the playing Twilight Princess when its comes out in Australia. I don't whether it'll be on the Wii though.

TP is the only game I'm interested in right now, and I already have a game cube so it's probably not worth buying a Wii just for that.
AceofSpadeZ
OMIGAWD! Twilight Princess is out?! I'm so outta the loop Sad

I should totally buy a wii...how much are they going for? 200$?
Fenroy
I'm definitely going to wait for it to come out on GC. I'm much more comfortable controlling everything with an analog stick since I've wasted too many years of my life playing N64, GC, and PS(original and 2). Analog controls just feel right for me. Now, when it comes to SSB:B, I guess I'll just cross the bridge when I come to it. If the game is good enough, I may shell out the money for a Wii, but otherwise, I don't think I'll buy one.

On a side note, I still say the Wii is a rather dumb name. I much preferred Nintendo's "codename" for the system, which was Revolution. It would draw a lot fewer snickers from people if you told them you had a Nintendo Revolution that if you told them you had a Nintendo Wii. But I digress.

Anyway, from what I've seen and read, Twilight Princess looks like an amazing game. The graphics are high-quality and the gameplay looks extraordinary. It looks like it's getting back to the original Zelda feel that was in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Wind Waker was too cartoonish for my tastes.
Whong
Fenroy wrote:
On a side note, I still say the Wii is a rather dumb name. I much preferred Nintendo's "codename" for the system, which was Revolution.

Oh COME ON MAN, THIS HAS BEEN A TALK FOR MONTHS!

If you say it is a dumb name, OK, but don't tell me you're not going to buy it because Nintendo decided to name it Wii?

Many didn't like it at first, but now, nowbody really cares about the name that much. Revolution or Wii, it is the same console! Very Happy Idea
Ghengis
As an aside, I think "Wii" was accidentally genious. It works its way so easily into conversation:

I play with the Wii-mote.
Best Buy offers a Wii-bate on SD cards with console purchase.
Mario 64 on VC is an excellent Wii-make.
PS3 buyers are Wii-tarded.

...I could go on and on.

As for those of you who are going to buy the GC version, DON'T. If you have a widescreen TV, it will only be supported on Wii. You'll have to do all your aiming with the analog stick, when the wiimote feels more natural. Your graphics will not be as good, and you won't be able to to play progressive scan (I think). All in, for the same price (come on, you'll need the Wii when Metroid 3 comes out, right?), you're better off with the next-gen title.
enygmasoft
linkman2004 wrote:

Thanks for rubbing it in. I had reserved Zelda while it was still on the game cube. I had it reserved for more than a year. The minute I heard it was going to be on the Wii I changed system for it. Unfortunately I still waiting to get the Wii, I have have the game with no system. I was unable to get the system for launch.
catscratches
Boho! I live in Sweden and it has not come here yet... I'll buy it as soon as it comes..
enygmasoft
The legened of Zelda as a Wii launch is brilliant, but I have no systems for my game. It sold out before I could buy it. It has nice packaging.
Patriot Players
I dunno, Im skeptical of the Wii features for the zelda game still. After all, if you look at the launch titles, it was clear nintendo needed a classic for the Wii launch, and the in development zelda game for the GC was a perfect candidate. We'll see how they stack up when the GC version is released
QrafTee
Patriot Players wrote:
I dunno, Im skeptical of the Wii features for the zelda game still. After all, if you look at the launch titles, it was clear nintendo needed a classic for the Wii launch, and the in development zelda game for the GC was a perfect candidate. We'll see how they stack up when the GC version is released

From what I hear, the Wii version is superior because of the Wii's uniqueness including controls, motions, and even because of those remote speakers (to my surprise). Even many WoW players have praised it (hard to imagine them having time for another game and WoW, but you live and learn). Some say it's one of the best games since Ocarina of Time (what a big surprise) while others-those who criticized Zelda for being too "kiddy" and colorful- say that colors are unZelda-like (ironic, ain't it?) I think it was a good decision on Nintendo's part to delay the GCN version as it would've taken the steam out of the Wii version.
linkman2004
Patriot Players wrote:
I dunno, Im skeptical of the Wii features for the zelda game still.

You really shouldn't be. For the most part it controls really well, it also feels really awesome to actually swing the sword at enemies. The only real grip is that doing the spinning slash isn't always the easiest. Other than that, it controls flawlessly. Ooooo, and using the bow and arrow is really awesome to. Razz
Wanderer
After beating the game and now starting a 3 heart challenge the game isn't that hard, but still fun. I beat the game on my first runthough in about 35 hours. The sword controls do feel tacked on, but they are ok. Its great when you first start, but after awhile swinging the Wii-mote gets old and you just end up just flicking your wrist. The aiming is the best improvement on the Wii. The Wii controller makes aiming easier and makes it possible to move around while aiming.
Fenroy
Whong wrote:
Fenroy wrote:
On a side note, I still say the Wii is a rather dumb name. I much preferred Nintendo's "codename" for the system, which was Revolution.

Oh COME ON MAN, THIS HAS BEEN A TALK FOR MONTHS!

If you say it is a dumb name, OK, but don't tell me you're not going to buy it because Nintendo decided to name it Wii?

Many didn't like it at first, but now, nowbody really cares about the name that much. Revolution or Wii, it is the same console! Very Happy Idea

In all fairness, I never said that I wouldn't buy a Wii because of the name. I just said that Revolution sounds like a much better name for this system. I may buy it if I get enough money together, but I'm really more of a PC gamer than a console gamer.

Also, I got Twilight Princess on GC and I've already beaten Ganondorf. I haven't gotten all of the Pieces of Heart, and I haven't found all of the golden bugs, but I'm working on it. I just decided that playing it for a week straight warrants a bit of a break from it. I'll be going back to it within the next few weeks.
Fire Boar
Wanderer wrote:
After beating the game and now starting a 3 heart challenge the game isn't that hard, but still fun. I beat the game on my first runthough in about 35 hours. The sword controls do feel tacked on, but they are ok. Its great when you first start, but after awhile swinging the Wii-mote gets old and you just end up just flicking your wrist. The aiming is the best improvement on the Wii. The Wii controller makes aiming easier and makes it possible to move around while aiming.

I couldn't agree more. I've got a Wii, and TP with it. Having beaten it (yes, 35 hours was about my time too), I thought it could have done with some more length.

I remember my mum coming in and saying "oh, do you just wiggle your hand to swing the sword, then?" while I was playing once: only then did I realise that I hadn't been doing the thing properly at all. Thing is, when fighting it is much easier just to use minimal effort which give the same results.

The boss battles are far far too easy. Once you've got their attack patterns sussed, you're sorted. The first time I fought the final boss(es), It used up all my bottled fey, but the second time I knew what was coming, and only lost 2 hearts, and that was without using the magic armour (rupees take damage, not health).

There are some great puzzles, but only some. There was definitely room for a lot more than there were. If you've completed a Zelda game, chances are you'll solve them without too many hours of hair-tearing agony. For me, the only place I got properly stuck was a really trivial bit that wasn't really a puzzle at all in the Oocca temple place right near the end.

There's no voice acting here (thank goodness - we don't want Link sounding like a stupid whiny American kid do we?) except for Minda. I think she's supposed to be talking Hylian, but it sounds like there's just a bank of 20 or so 1 second sound clips bashed together randomly. It has a strange effect that can sometimes be annoying, but at the same time it can add to the effect of Minda's overall strangeness. Mind you, that giggle that she does whenever she wants to talk to you is ghastly.

Alright, that's all the bad things out of the way. And I mean ALL the bad things. Because Twilight Princess is so lacking in flaws, it's easy to overlook all the above. The fun factor is immense (I found it really immersive and enjoyable to purge the Twilight from each place, for example) and the storyline is both engaging and memorable.

This is truly the best Zelda game in existance. It's not revolutionary, as Ocarina of Time was, but it is absolutely fantastic.

Oh, and as an added plus, the Gibdo enemies are now armed with a massive sword, so they won't freak people out by trying to hump Link to death any more Shocked . That's a great improvement in my book (I remember being terrified of the things in OOT and MM).
Lusiphur
Having just got my Wii two days ago, and only clocking about 10hours so far on Zelda this post will be limited in my play experience. But might help people deciding if they are going to buy the game or not.

First off the game is great. It's fast acting, your interest in the lifes of the characters and the children (you'll understand within about 30 mins of playtime) is huge, and so far the difference in playstyle between the 2 worlds means that there is never a period of boredom.

While the Wii-mote is awkward at first to get used to it quickly becomes reflexive to draw and strike (which with the remote is much faster than on a regular console). Combat is smooth and fun, aiming with your slingshot/boomerang(sp?)/whatever is prolly the best feature IMO, for some reason it works really well, and is much more satisfying/accurate than aiming with an analogue stick ever was.

Puzzle wise there have been a few so far (just past the 2nd dungeon), they're not the most taxing I've seen in a game, but also they're not immediatly obvious for all off them. The boss fights, as previously stated, just require you to spot the pattern then sit back and quickly win.

My only gripe so far has been Mindra (sp?), she takes the challenge out of a lot of puzzles/boss fights by popping up and telling you what to do. And while you don;t have to summon her, it becomes reflex to press "up" when you hear her giggle.

All in all it's a great game, and I really reccommend it be your first game purchase if you get a Wii.

Only Zelda game that was come close to "A Link to the past" so far (yea, it's my fav off the series)
DSGamer3002
I purchased both versions of Twilight Princess, and both forwards and backwards, the game is truely incredible. Seeing as I'm a Zelda fan anyway, this game surprised me both in how lengthy it was, and in how epic. (spoilers follow the remainder of this post)

I was a bit surprised Ganondorf was in the story, but I figure now that he was just thrown in there to make it like every other Zelda game. I personally think it would have been better if Zant had his own mind to be evil, and wasn't just set power upon by a so-called "god".

Also, I found the game surprisingly short. I completed the game with all poes, bugs, heart containers, everything, in just 41 hours on the Wii version, and 36 hours on the Gamecube version. You would think that after the game had been worked on for so long, we would have gotten more from it. Sad I'm still impressed, however, with how beautiful, unique, and amazing the game is either way. Smile

I recently did a speed run (yes, already) on Twilight Princess, and beat the game in just 8 hours and 46 minutes. I made a lot of mistakes though, so I'm thinking a time under 8 hours is possible. There are a few ways to get through parts of the game faster, such as skipping a large part of the Lakebed Temple, only having to make one trip to the Hidden Village by showing Impaz the Dominion Rod after getting the ancient sky book from her, and much more.

Altogether, Twilight Princess is quite an addition to the Zelda series, and I honestly can't wait until Phantom Hourglass, and the recently announced "Real Zelda on Wii without a name". Shocked
Scott
Really fun game. Incredibly easy and short though. It's always very obvious what you have to do in the game. The sidequests arn't all that fun, but the cave of ordeals is neat.
DSGamer3002
Scott wrote:
Really fun game. Incredibly easy and short though. It's always very obvious what you have to do in the game. The sidequests arn't all that fun, but the cave of ordeals is neat.

Trust me when I say beating it four times in the same file for four bottles of fairy tears is more challenging and more rewarding than just "neat". Very Happy The second time in the cave some levels become more difficult, such as levels 39 and 49.
The_Gamer294
Twilight Princess Pwns. Period.
Firebird
I have the Gamecube Version of Twilight Princess and it Pwns. Cool It's really cool,and i'm hoping for the WII to come soon,so i can play the game on it.
vangor
I just got it for GameCube a few days ago and I've been on that for hours upon hours. I like that they still have some of the old yet good stuff that was in OoT and MM for N64 and I like that they added a lot more stuff into the game. I like the changing between human and wolf. I also like kicking around chickens.
enygmasoft
Lusiphur wrote:
Having just got my Wii two days ago, and only clocking about 10hours so far on Zelda this post will be limited in my play experience. But might help people deciding if they are going to buy the game or not.

First off the game is great. It's fast acting, your interest in the lifes of the characters and the children (you'll understand within about 30 mins of playtime) is huge, and so far the difference in playstyle between the 2 worlds means that there is never a period of boredom.

While the Wii-mote is awkward at first to get used to it quickly becomes reflexive to draw and strike (which with the remote is much faster than on a regular console). Combat is smooth and fun, aiming with your slingshot/boomerang(sp?)/whatever is prolly the best feature IMO, for some reason it works really well, and is much more satisfying/accurate than aiming with an analogue stick ever was.

Puzzle wise there have been a few so far (just past the 2nd dungeon), they're not the most taxing I've seen in a game, but also they're not immediatly obvious for all off them. The boss fights, as previously stated, just require you to spot the pattern then sit back and quickly win.

My only gripe so far has been Mindra (sp?), she takes the challenge out of a lot of puzzles/boss fights by popping up and telling you what to do. And while you don;t have to summon her, it becomes reflex to press "up" when you hear her giggle.

All in all it's a great game, and I really reccommend it be your first game purchase if you get a Wii.

Only Zelda game that was come close to "A Link to the past" so far (yea, it's my fav off the series)

Still waiting for my wii to come in the mail. Now there's a sentence I thought I would stop saying after I turned 5.
ShawnKelfonne
I got the gamecube version of the game for Christmas, as I don't have the money for a Wii at the moment. (Not that I could find one if I did.) Just finished it yesterday, and have to say that it was possibly the most fun I've had with a game in some time. Finished somewhere around 28 hours, though I didn't get everything. I will say that I found the ending to be rather sad, though the final battle was amazing.

All in all, Nintendo has come up with an excellent Zelda game which kept me coming back day after day, which is something that Wind Waker couldn't manage to do.
enygmasoft
linkman2004 wrote:

I need to get wii, but playing at the store for an hour made me earn the weirdo of the year award.
linkman2004
ShawnKelfonne wrote:
All in all, Nintendo has come up with an excellent Zelda game which kept me coming back day after day, which is something that Wind Waker couldn't manage to do.

I would beg to differ. Wind Waker was an amazing game... even if it did take me... 10 months to beat it. The allure of new games kept me from it for a while.
hardcoregamer808
linkman2004 wrote:

I love the game, sometimes the camera angles get jacked up, but thats about it. Great game, a must for any wii or gamecube owner and the twilight mode is pretty cool where you can play as the wolf.
ShawnKelfonne
linkman2004 wrote:
ShawnKelfonne wrote:

I would beg to differ. Wind Waker was an amazing game... even if it did take me... 10 months to beat it. The allure of new games kept me from it for a while.

Wind Waker was alright, and I liked the style, but when it came to having to search for Triforce pieces all over the great sea, I just lost interest. I would've rather had more dungeons in the game than having to put up with Tingle and sailing the seas looking for treasure.
DSGamer3002
I, as well as a lot of other people, are doing speed runs already on TP. The game isn't even out for two months and look at it! Tons of glitches already found, and the majority of TP owners have beaten the game. I remember Nintendo promising an epic new Zelda game, but I think it was way to short. Sad I've been able to get to the Forest Temple in just 36 minutes, which is actually a bit slower than the "par" time. Some other people doing speed runs somehow got to the Forest Temple in just 34 minutes. Shocked

Anybody here doing a speed run, or have something to add/debate about in relation to this post?
falco211
I got my Wii four days after launch and I picked up Twilight Princess at launch. I was disappointed that I couldn't play it for half a week. When I got my Wii I put Twilight Princess in and started playing.

The game was great. I liked the story and the gameplay. The Wii made it more fun because of the motion sensing. It took me about 30 hours to beat the game and 40 to collect everything.

I think it's a great game for the Wii and anyone who has a Wii needs this game.
hofodomo01
Just a question: does Twilight Princess have a fishing-side-quest-type thing, like Ocarina of Time did?

Because anything of that sort, and I'll probably waste hours with it...
DSGamer3002
hofodomo01 wrote:
Just a question: does Twilight Princess have a fishing-side-quest-type thing, like Ocarina of Time did?

Yep. After a certain point in the game, you can warp to an area leading to two different games. One is a canoe-type game, the other features fishing. You can use different lures in the fishing hole, and fish for 20 rupees a turn. Some fish can only be caught with certain lures, which makes catching all the types of fish challenging. Razz
futurcat
DSGamer3002 wrote:
hofodomo01 wrote:

Yep. After a certain point in the game, you can warp to an area leading to two different games. One is a canoe-type game, the other features fishing. You can use different lures in the fishing hole, and fish for 20 rupees a turn. Some fish can only be caught with certain lures, which makes catching all the types of fish challenging. Razz

I did play this in GameCube and in Wii. It is slightly different.