FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Post Your Rig!

The Mitchell
Ok then musicians post your rig. be it a pa setup, a guitar setup, a recording setup, a drum setup. tell me it all.

This is mine:

Computer Spec:

Pentium 4 1.4GHz
512MB RAM
Standard Sound
GeForce FX 7700 Graphics Card
Cubase SX3
Reason 3
Ableton Live 5
(Upgrading anytime to duo core turion 1.6 w/ 2gb RAM anf 256 mb graphics Very Happy)

Studio/ Monitoring Equipment

Kenwood KA-3020 180W Amplifier
Kenwood Stereo Speakers

Mics:

2 x AKG C1000s Condenser
4 x Shure SM58 Dynamic
1 x Shure SM57 Dynamic
1 x JTS NX2 Bass Drum mic
4 x Sennheiser e604 tom mic

Effects:

Rack Mount:
Alesis Midiverb 3 Multi FX
Alesis Micro Nanocompressor
Vesta Ge31 Graphic Equaliser
Electrix Filter Queen Filter Factory
Roland GI 10 guitar midi interface

Stompboxes:
Boss DS1 distortion
Sovtek Big Muff fuzz
Ibanez PH5 phaser
Danelectro Milkshake Chorus
DHA Valvetone Valve Overdrive
ExpAn Sandwich Echo (w/ delay time expression control)
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Tremelo/Chorus
2 x Ibanez DE7
Crybaby Wah Pedal
Behringer EQ
Electro Harmonix Hogs Foot Bass Booster
Stereo Signal Splitter

Amps:
HH Electronics 100Watt Head Unit
Hartke Transporter 1x15" Bass Cab
Marshall MG15CDR 15Watt Guitar Amp
HH Electronics 100Watt PA Unit

Guitars & Basses:

Guitars:
Custom Fender Squier Stratocaster (w/ humbucker in bridge and modified electronics)
Custom Telecaster Copy (w/ fender squier stratocaster neck)

Basses:
Ibanez Ergodyne EDB600 4-string

Synths & Keyboards:
Roland Juno 6
Korg X5 Dr Rack Mount Module
Hammond Organ
Assorted Midi keyboards
Yamaha Upright Piano

Misc Other:

2 x ATR DI-Box
4 track stereo/mono mini mixer
Airband Radio
Scott
Wow, that's a ton. I don't have a huge arsenal... Yet.

I just got a Macbook (too lazy to post exact specs), I use a Washburn X-50 electric guitar, a Marshall 50 watt guitar amp, a Zoom multi-effect pedal, a powerful (but old) stereo system, an M-Audio midi keyboard. I also have a nice PC desktop computer, but haven't used it much as of late.

In software I mainly use Reason and Ableton 5/6. I'm buying 6 this week. I'm also looking around for a firewire or USB audio interface. Any reccomendations?
all-australian-reject
Whoa...i feel like pov cheap bastard haha! Shocked well... im just a guitar player...i have a ... squire strat guitar, marshal MG amp and a digitech rp80 pedal! not a bad set up for what i need...and it gets the sound i want out of it...hoping for a new amp soon! Very Happy
BlockUp
1. Jazz Bass
2. Big Amp
3. The bassline from Give it Away

YEAH!!
gtherockgod
My guitar rig:

Guitars
Jackson DKMG (cobalt blue swirl)
Jackson King V (black)
Random old Samick which I did a custom paint job on (piece of shit, but looks sweet)

Amps
Crate GLX212 120 W (wish I had known more about amps when I bought it...looking to sell so I can buy an all-tube)
old-school Mako Piranha 25 W

Effects
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss DD-6 digital delay
Boss GE-7 EQ

I believe that's all..
Ozzy
Computer:
Pentium 4 - 1.6ghz
Windows XP Pro
256 Ram
300GB External HDD
20GB Internal HDD

Programs: (What I use when recording)
Audacity
NERO Wave Editor
LeafDrums 2.0
Frooty Loops Studio
Rhythm Rascal
Guitar Pro 4 & 5 (Sometimes extract the drum track)

Bass/Guitar:
4 String Ibanez SR200TR
4 String Fender Squire
5 String Aria Pro - Series II
Monterey Acoustic Guitar

Amps:
100 watt HARTKE Stage Amp
10 watt Drive Practice amp

Misc:
Digitech BP200 Bass Modulator Pedal
KORG Digital Tuner
BC Rich Strings
Basic Computer Mic (Does a really good job!)
deStructuralized
Wow...some of you have really impressive setups. I have more of a music workstation than a recording studio at this point, but it's slowly starting to get there Smile

Controllers
M-Audio Oxygen8 V2
Akai MPD16

Turntable Related
Numark TT200
Numark DM1050
BBE Phono Preamp
Vinyl Records

Instruments
Squier Stratocaster
Various VSTs, which I won't name specifically
Thinking of adding a bass and/or drumkit...

Microphones
Shure SM58 Beta (x2)

Control Surface
Tascam US-428

Monitoring - probably where I'll be upgrading next
Old logitech HiFi speakers
beyerdynamic DT770s (Headphones)

Computer
Acer 3003 WLCi Laptop
15.4" WXGA LCD Screen
40 GB Internal HD
250 GB External HD
DVD/CD-RW Drive
1 GB RAM
Windows XP Home

Sequencing/Effects Processing
Sony Acid Pro 6
Sony Soundforge 8.0

Scott wrote:
I'm also looking around for a firewire or USB audio interface. Any reccomendations?

If your computer has firewire compatibility I'd definitely go firewire over USB...aside from that, the interface that suits you best will depend on a variety of things. Like:

How many inputs you need, what types of inputs you need, and the features that suit you best...i.e. preamps (Y/N), phantom power (Y/N), effects (Y/N/Which ones)

tweakheadz.com has a lot of really good information about various interfaces
http://tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm
http://tweakheadz.com/audio_interface_fw_comparison_chart.htm

Also, if you don't already have a mixing console and you have a compatible sequencer, you might want to look into control surfaces. A lot of them function as control surfaces/audio interfaces in one. I personally am gonna start using the Tascam US-428, but really good ones include M-Audio's Project Mix I/O, or Mackie's Logic Control Universal.
The Mitchell
Scott wrote:
I'm also looking around for a firewire or USB audio interface. Any reccomendations?

hmm what amount of channels you looking at and what kind of quality anything in particular you wanna record? If your looking into large amounts of channels you can spend about 400 and get a good 16 track firewire/ usb desk like the alesis ones although the alesis multimix usb does not support large multitrack recording. unfortunately with the usb you can only record stereo onto the pc whereas the firewire goes into the pc with all 16 tracks and then back out in stereo. they have 16 track, 8 track and 12 track ones iirc.

If you are simply looking for a simple but easy way of hooking up guitars, basses, synthesisers to a pc then your prob best with something like an m-audio mbox or the line 6 guitar port. These are both excellent quality products. the line 6 especially has great preamps and is built for exactly that. Also if your only after 1 track in then you can probably get a decent sound card to do it for you. 90% of people will not even notice the difference in quality until you get to pro quality stuff and as much as a lot of people will say otherwise im sure most of the people on here wouldnt have a clue if you showed them something you did with say a soundblaster or similar.

deStructuralized wrote:
If your computer has firewire compatibility I'd definitely go firewire over USB.

hmmm i disagree there. as far as i am aware usb 2 is now a faster data transfer than firewire is it not? maybe im wrong but thats what i seem to remember. Although i also seem to remember there being only the possibility to transfer a stereo track over usb. anyways someone else can clear that up.

Some good links there destructuralized also those tascam jobbys are pretty neat. Used one for a good few years and they are pretty smart and work v well with cubase and digital performer. Good cheap little interface and worth every penny if you ask me
deStructuralized
The Mitchell wrote:
Scott wrote:

hmm what amount of channels you looking at and what kind of quality anything in particular you wanna record? If your looking into large amounts of channels you can spend about 400 and get a good 16 track firewire/ usb desk like the alesis ones although the alesis multimix usb does not support large multitrack recording. unfortunately with the usb you can only record stereo onto the pc whereas the firewire goes into the pc with all 16 tracks and then back out in stereo. they have 16 track, 8 track and 12 track ones iirc.

If you are simply looking for a simple but easy way of hooking up guitars, basses, synthesisers to a pc then your prob best with something like an m-audio mbox or the line 6 guitar port. These are both excellent quality products. the line 6 especially has great preamps and is built for exactly that. Also if your only after 1 track in then you can probably get a decent sound card to do it for you. 90% of people will not even notice the difference in quality until you get to pro quality stuff and as much as a lot of people will say otherwise im sure most of the people on here wouldnt have a clue if you showed them something you did with say a soundblaster or similar.

^ very good, detailed advice...props! Smile

What you said about most people not noticing the sound quality difference is very true...what people need to remember is, your rig can only sound as good as your worst piece of equipment. A soundcard will not automatically make everything sound better if you have shoddy mics/uninsulated cables/poor noise reduction, etc...but a great soundcard can be a good foundation for a solid studio if you remain committed to improving your setup over time.

The Mitchell wrote:
deStructuralized wrote:
If your computer has firewire compatibility I'd definitely go firewire over USB.

hmmm i disagree there. as far as i am aware usb 2 is now a faster data transfer than firewire is it not? maybe im wrong but thats what i seem to remember. Although i also seem to remember there being only the possibility to transfer a stereo track over usb. anyways someone else can clear that up.

I'm pretty sure Firewire is faster than USB 2 in terms of read/write speed...
http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

I've never heard of the stereo issue, so you're probably more knowledgeable on that front...since both types of cables transfer digital data I'd assumed there would be no difference in mono/stereo recording capability. What're the specific differences that cause that? I'm kind of curious.
The Mitchell
Fair play on the usb firewire thing. I'd always been told firewire was faster than the usb 1 but slower than usb 2. Also the stereo thing seems to be on the alesis desks only as far as im aware. not seen it on other desks although it seems a little odd to have a firewire with 16tracks and usb with only stereo out if there is another way around this.

Are you an engineer yourself destrucuralized?
deStructuralized
The Mitchell wrote:

I wish, haha

Enthusiast, been working with music for about a year now...I hope to have enough knowledge & experience to consider myself an engineer someday though.

What about yourself?
snowboardalliance
Just

Gibson Faded SG Special
Fender amp from a "Strat pack"
Digitech RP200Artist pedal

I want a new amp, not sure what though.
The Mitchell
deStructuralized wrote:
The Mitchell wrote:

I wish, haha

Enthusiast, been working with music for about a year now...I hope to have enough knowledge & experience to consider myself an engineer someday though.

What about yourself?

Studying and looking for work. Im half way through my second year at uni and ive been kind of in and out of part time jobs and experience for about 6 years now and doing education in it for about 4 years. Trying to find work at the moment but its tough goin.
bissoboa
Quote:
Guitars:
Custom Fender Squier Stratocaster (w/ humbucker in bridge and modified electronics)

I've got a modified Fender, too! It is still work in progress but I really hope will be ready soon.
It is a 1995 American Fender Stratocaster Vintage Reissue '57.
Modifications include EM shielding, stragrounged electric circuit and a Di Marzio Tone Zone in bridge position.
And especially, new big jumbo frets are scheduled too...
I will tell more the next days! Wink
Ankhanu
Bass Rig (signal path)
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass -> (sometimes) Boss Bass Chorus -> (sometimes) Marshall Jackhammer -> Yorkville 200B

Occasionally the Fender may be swapped out for a Yamaha BBN5 or a cobbled together fretless 4-string. The pedals usually aren't in the signal path, I'm usually running direct into the amp.

Guitar Rig
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster -> 1972 Fender Twin Reverb

The tone of the Aerodyne Telecaster straight into the Twin is heavenly... but if I want some OD, I toss the Jackhammer in there, though I'd rather pick up an old Ibanez Tube King for OD.
Sometimes I swap out the Telecaster with a Godin Exit 22.

Recording
I've just been running my instrument directly into my Macbook in recent months for basic recording in Audacity.
Previously, in band recording, I'd run instruments/mics through a 4 track, into a mixer and out to my Dell laptop, recording track by track in SoundForge.
bissoboa
As promised...
Amp
Mesa/Boogie Dual Caliber DC-5
It is all black and 100% original still in very good conditions.
Bought it as used, I am very proud of it.
Have to be careful with this it really combs me sometimes Exclamation
Libby
My "rig":

1 handmade 5-string banjo circa 1960, made by one of my grandma's friends, given to my mom, and then given to me. <3
Ankhanu
Libby wrote:
My "rig":

1 handmade 5-string banjo circa 1960, made by one of my grandma's friends, given to my mom, and then given to me. <3

Awesome Smile
I'd love to have a banjo; I played one for a while earlier in the year and it was great Smile
bissoboa
Quote:
1 handmade 5-string banjo circa 1960, made by one of my grandma's friends,

I find it awesome to have it handmade circa 1960, by a friend of your grandmother! Does it still play well? Is it in good conditions?
rockstar
Ok my rig..... A PA rig, this time!

FOH Speakers: 4x Martin Audio Wavefront W8, 4x Martin W8S

Amp rack: 4x T-amp 2400, 2x Behringer Digital speaker management processors

Multicore: 24 Channel / 8 Return 30 metres

Mixing Desk: Allen and Heath GL4 24 channel / Mackie 24.4

Monitors: 3 pair wedges, 1 drum fill (4 mixes)

FX racks: 1x Behringer Digital Graphic EQ, 2x Yamaha Q2031 Stereo Graphic EQ, 2x Behringer 4 way compressor, 1x Behringer Stereo comp/gate. 1x Aphex 4 way gate, 1x Yamaha Rev 500, 1x Yamaha Rev 100, 1x Lexicon MPX 100, 1x Denon CD/Cassette Player.

Microphones: 5x Shure SM58, 2x SM57, 2x Sennheiser 609, 2x Se1 condensor mics, 2x Se3 condensor mics, 1x Audix D6, 1x Audix drum set, 6 active Di boxes.

Microphone cable: 10x 10m , 4x 7.5m, 14x 5m. All Van damme Starquad

Makes a lot of high quality noise!!
Helios
Would be much better if everybody included pictures of their gear Smile
rockstar

Hows that?
Libby
bissoboa wrote:
Quote:

I find it awesome to have it handmade circa 1960, by a friend of your grandmother! Does it still play well? Is it in good conditions?

Well, it's not like it was made from scratch by some wizened mountain craftsman or anything, it was just put together from parts. It's a really good beginner's banjo though, still in great condition. My mom took good care of it. Smile
bissoboa
Quote:
It's a really good beginner's banjo though, still in great condition. My mom took good care of it.

If I was a beginner in playing banjo I would enjoy a lot to play with this handmade piece!
Compliments again. It is important to recognize limits but also find right qualities.

I have got my father's classic guitar that is surely 20-30 years old too... almost in good conditions
sounds nicely and much better than any other "economic" classic guitar I have heard.
A very good beginner's instrument, that I am alway glad to play with Wink
rockstar

[IMG=http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5852/p1010076nh9.th.jpg][/IMG]
Over 8.5kw output for not much money! Pictured under construction some time ago, but it does the business!
rockstar

This is my effects rack. Everything was in a pair of SKB cases that had seen better days, but this is much better, much more "professional" looking.

Behringer Digital Graphic for FOH
Yamaha graphics for 4 way monitor mixes
Lexicon MPX1 and Yamaha REV100 for effects
2x Behringer 4 way compressors
ARX 6 way gate
Denon combined CD and tape player.

It does the job
Ankhanu
Man, I'd hate to have to move your gear around Razz
rockstar
Ankhanu wrote:
Man, I'd hate to have to move your gear around Razz

Most of it is on wheels...Nice and easy! Just don't mention steps! lol!
Ankhanu
Too many venues I've played involve a flight or two of steps, it's something I always keep in mind Wink
rockstar
Ankhanu wrote:
Too many venues I've played involve a flight or two of steps, it's something I always keep in mind Wink

The type of gigs I do tend to be larger venues, plus it is always a two man (minimum) job. Theatres will also provide two crew. For difficult get ins (flights of stairs, for example), extra crew will be employed, and the cost will be passed on to the client.
In addition to all the sound equipment, there is often another truck load of lighting!
Doing sound for a living uses many different skills: As well as just mixing the band (which is a pressure job so start with, if anything goes wrong it's YOUR fault), it's physical, it's technical (fault finding and solving quickly, when theres 2000 people waiting to get in to see the show....), you have to be good with people in general (stroppy artists, ****** punters, venue staff, promoters, agents etc.).
All Good fun!! I love it. I wouldn't do anything else (except be a musician coz they have it easy, and I'm one of those too)
Jaan
i like simple!

dell precision m90, maxed
ibm z60t, maxed LOL
presonus firebox
sm58
dynaudio bm5a's
m audio x session pro
korg nanopad

and that's all I need and use! the rest is just software Smile maybe protools in the futcha
gverutes
I have an Aria Pro II (custom from Japan)

with a EBS HD350 Bass Head and SWR 2 x 10 cabinet.

The cabinet is a little bit heavy and I wasn't able to transport it to California from the East Coast.

However, the EBS head (from Sweden) is the best purchase I have ever made! It has such crisp sound and records beautifully. I recommend buying it used on eBay (I got mine for around $450).
Aneesh3110
Intel Pentium4 Ht 630 @ 3.60GHz
ASUS P5KPL AM/PS
2GB JetRam DDR2 800MHz
Seagate 50GB SATA 7200.12
Sony DVD_RW 22X
Zebronics BIJLI
Samsung 2233SW 1080P LCD Monitor
Logitech Keyboard & Mouse
Ankhanu
THink you're a little confused here, Aneesh Razz

Anyway, here's a photo of my guitar stuff and main bass.
Ryo13
i only play drums and DJ once a while...so my rig is pretty simple:)

PC

-Intel Quad Core Q6600 with Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
-DFI Lan Party P35 DK T2RS
-4GB Micron D9GMH 6400 DDR2
-Gigabyte 8800 Ultra
-Presonus FP-10 8 Channel Firewire Sound Card
-2x80GB WD Raptors
-500GB WD Caviar
-640GB WD Caviar
-Belkin Firewire PCI Card
-Silverstone OP1000
-Lian-Li V1000B Case
-Delta and Panaflo Fans
-Behringer Truth B3031A Monitors

Drums

-Pearl Forum (White) 5 piece standard config
-Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide Single Pedal
-Pearl 14"x3.5" Free Floater Snare
-Sabian B8 Cymbal Set
-Zildjian 18" Custom Projection Crash
-Tama boomstands (3) and tom stand
-and a bunch of mics (Shure SM-57, AKG D112, AKG C451, AKG C414, Sennheiser MD 421)
-a couple of mic stands for overheads and snare

DJ

-2xTechnics SL1200MK2 Turntables
-Pioneer DJM 300 Mixer
-Stanton Final Scratch V.1.5
-Shure M-447 needles
-Pioneer HDJ-1000 Headphones
andysart380
all ive got is a computer.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1.0 G Dual channel ram
1-500gb and two 160's good amount of storage
ATI all in wonder card

its a custom built but i forget anything else about it. hooked to the 42" plasma so it looks ok
andysart380
Libby wrote:
bissoboa wrote:
Quote:

Well, it's not like it was made from scratch by some wizened mountain craftsman or anything, it was just put together from parts. It's a really good beginner's banjo though, still in great condition. My mom took good care of it. Smile

im one of those guys too got an old probably 70's guitar yamaha..from my mother but i tell you since its what i learned on i just love the feel and the sound....the whole banjo thing is different tho ive never even tried to play one.