FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can google be disrupted?

ashok
Last week, Microsoft failed to properly anticipate changes in the tech industry. A big part of it came down to the company's culture, which had the attitude that it could always beat the competition, as long as it used its size and technical prowess to put more into R&D than anyone else.

Of course, that strategy only works as long as the competition is trying to beat Microsoft at its own game. Once competitors started going in totally new directions, like delivering over the web, then Microsoft's advantages in size started to fade. Now Google is in Microsoft's shoes, and it looks like the company may have the same mentality. Paul Kedrosky notes an interesting quote from a Google employee, in which he seems to say that it would be difficult for any company to ever match the company in terms of scale or ability to innovate. You can see this attitude in practice, as the company hopes to build up huge barriers to entry by building out enormously expensive and complex computing power plants.

One has only to look at how fast Google became popular, and at how fast people dumped Alta Vista, the once "king" of search engines, to realize that this scenario could easily play out once again, only this time with Google taking over the role from AV.

Let someone dramatically improve the search process, say, with AI or a system that truly understands context, and the big G could be in trouble in an amazingly short period of time.

The flop side of the matter, however, is that Google seems to understand this, and it's one of the reasons why they're into owning or partnering with "destinations" like Google Earth and YouTube and MySpace. Should someone else hit them in the search market, they'd continue to have ad visibility elsewhere.

In fact, a recent article says that, now, 90% of the google's AdSense clicks come not from search, but from AdWords-placed content pages.

In short, I think Google is already worried, but is also doing something about it... What do you guys think about this??
Zubairi
Google probably has many, MANY servers, so when they are conducting maintanence, they most probably activate a substitute for a while.
Keran
If google would die even for 5 minutes then the world would get into complete chaos, it would be like in "Day after Tommorow", wars would start, entire human race would be endangered or even worse...
So let's not scare people that google can be disrupted ;]
ashok
Keran wrote:
If google would die even for 5 minutes then the world would get into complete chaos, it would be like in "Day after Tommorow", wars would start, entire human race would be endangered or even worse...
So let's not scare people that google can be disrupted ;]

LOL Laughing
Srs2388
I didn't think it was possible for it to be disrupted because like Zubairi
said, there are many servers they have.
ashok
My meaning of Disruption doesn't mean google's going down on servers... I mean going down in business... just like google with it's innovative ideas disrupted microsoft in the field of web services, i meant to say some day google may be disrupted too in a sector by any new innovator... and that google's already aware of that and is preparing for it. Google's Adsense details in my post reveals that aspect...
R2.DETARD
google has diversified so damn much (gmail, calendar, docs, video and spreadsheet etc.) even if it looses its search monopoly, the other services will keep it alive.
Zubairi
...Yes, they'll come up with something. I can assure you. Wink

It's kinda like Apple's iPod compared to any other mp3. iPod is the ultimate one, impossibly small for the friggin mass of memory it has - and it will always, and I mean always be at the top of it's kind.

Same goes for Google - No search engine will surpass it. Even if a new one comes into the game, Google will still be more popular - therefore it will do better than ANY other search engine.
lukeropro
Zubairi wrote:

It's kinda like Apple's iPod compared to any other mp3. iPod is the ultimate one, impossibly small for the friggin mass of memory it has - and it will always, and I mean always be at the top of it's kind.

Same goes for Google - No search engine will surpass it. Even if a new one comes into the game, Google will still be more popular - therefore it will do better than ANY other search engine.

That is so true.
jon9314
posible but i don't see it happening
llam
google is a very interesting company. It is a private company, but it makes a great deal of contribution to the open source community. It generates a force from the supporters in the open world. with high level of sharp idea and acceptance, it innovates much faster than other online company. well, it cannot be done with its stock price back it up financially. If to compare google to microsoft, I would say google is still lack of a business platform to bind the commercial customers like MS Office and Windows. But nowaday, marketing information is gold. This is the area which google has been mastered quickly, providing google to be channel between the business to target their customers. That's the killing part of their search engine.
rhathar
What will be Google's downfall will most likely not be another company surpassing it, but them shooting themselves in the foot.

The CEO will get greedy and start closing off free services, or they will do something that clearly monopolizes on their controlling everything.

When they start BLATANTLY taking advantage of people to the point where it's pointed out in the news, then people will start calling for more.

Would open source be nearly as popular if people didn't love to hate Microsoft?
achowles
I suppose that we won't really know this until a new kind of internet is on the horizon. Maybe then we can see how much Google has anticipated this and adapted accordingly.
Bondings
R2.DETARD wrote:
google has diversified so damn much (gmail, calendar, docs, video and spreadsheet etc.) even if it looses its search monopoly, the other services will keep it alive.

At the moment Google only earns money with the money it gets from Adwords; it is from the advertisements next to the search results (2/3) and the publishers (1/3) displaying Adsense ads.

Google is losing a lot of money on almost all the other services it offers.

@Keran, Google is often down, even for longer than 5 minutes.
CyanEyed
llam wrote:
It is a private company

sorry, but google is a public limited company, they sell shares on the stock market.

@Bondings, they also make money from selling shares. one share in Google costs over 500 - record amount for google, they broke their records
hack_man_
lukeropro wrote:
Zubairi wrote:

That is so true.

I agree, let's settle if Google has a v good back up system once and for all...

Everyone DOS Attack www.google.com at 12:00 GMT!!!
Bondings
CyanEyed wrote:
@Bondings, they also make money from selling shares. one share in Google costs over 500 - record amount for google, they broke their records

It's 500$ and it's called funding/capital, not profit. Wink
ashok
Bondings wrote:

Google is losing a lot of money on almost all the other services it offers.

That isn't true entirely.. Most of the other services from google are services that are successful and are acquired by google for large sum because those services are worth it... For example take up Picasa/Flickr/Youtube or the social networking site Orkut... they do generate a lot of revenue. Coming to the other services google is offering, I think google's not spending much money of them... we can see by the standards of those services.
hunnyhiteshseth
Every company has to go down one down, after being overtaken by another better company. Its just a matter of time.

We have many examples in history to illustrate this. Who would have thought earlier that microsoft will come at top beating Sun.