FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A parrot...

rainmaker
Hello everyone...

I must confess I've been slacking and haven't posted for awhile now. Sad

Anyway, I was just wondering if any members out there have any kind of exotic bird. Even though I am only a college student right now, I plan to get one after I finish with school.

I was wondering if any of you could offer me some tips and/or suggestions in owning a bird. I am thinking about a macaw, but really that's not for certain.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

--rainmaker
Daisie
Plan for long term, parrots can live up to 60 yrs.....
Jeyon
Daisie wrote:

Shocked 60 years? Are you kidding? Shocked

That's long, almost live long like humans. Confused That's awesome
DaComboMan
Daisie wrote:

Hi Daisy,

I've been away from the "bird world" for a while.
Some types of Parrots can talk can't they?
ashok
yes they can... here's a link about one such parrot..

http://www.budgieresearch.homestead.com/

The main focus of the site is about a budgie named Victor who had a vocabulary of more than 1000 words and understood their meanings as well.
DaComboMan
ashok wrote:

The main focus of the site is about a budgie named Victor who had a vocabulary of more than 1000 words and understood their meanings as well.

Thanks ashok!

Will take a closer look at it when i get out of the kitchen today.

Living in a community, i'm looking for a pet that i can take around with me and not be a hassle. Dogs and cats seem to be out of the picture as living in the country side they either get hit by cars or disappear in the woods (coyotes lurking around) and it's hard on the guys who like animals to see them suddenly disappear. Broken affections are hard with people and when we lose an animal, it can be almost just as hard. I did say almost!
Daisie
yes parrot live long !
I have a friend that had a will and fund made especially for her parrot as it's a young bird and she is more mature (!), to be sure that it will be looked after once she is gone...
She keep saying that having a parrot is like having a 3 yrs old at home, they are very clever bird but also demanding...
but she wouldnt swap him for anything!

perso, i stick with cats!
ashok
DaComboMan wrote:
ashok wrote:

Thanks ashok!

Will take a closer look at it when i get out of the kitchen today.

Living in a community, i'm looking for a pet that i can take around with me and not be a hassle. Dogs and cats seem to be out of the picture as living in the country side they either get hit by cars or disappear in the woods (coyotes lurking around) and it's hard on the guys who like animals to see them suddenly disappear. Broken affections are hard with people and when we lose an animal, it can be almost just as hard. I did say almost!

Then be careful with the parrot if you've decided upon that... If you are going for birds, you should be careful not to open the cage... I lost the male bird of my pair of Love birds like that.... Crying or Very sad
rainmaker
Thanks for the replies!

That website is interesting. I once read about an African grey named Alex. Apparently he was able to comprehend things at the level of a three-year-old child! Anyway, this website sort of reminded me of that.

I understand that parrots can be demanding birds and require a lot of work. Does anyone know anything specifically about macaws? I believe these birds live upwards to 70 years old, if I'm not mistaken. I am curious to know if they are affectionate. Not only that, but I am curious to know how much they learn to speak. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with one.

Happy (after) Thanksgiving to everyone!

--rainmaker
junkrabbit
My sisterinlaw has a parrot that attacks the cat. It is free to roam the house and isn't potty trained.
tiel_99
I live with a couple of parrots in my home. A Timneh African Grey, an Orange Winged Amazon, and four budgies. Used to have a pair of cockatiels, but they're not here anymore.

All I can say is, if you are the type who needs peace and quiet, don't consider getting a parrot. They are noisy, and there's nothing you can do about it. To ask them to keep silent would be to deny them their natural instincts.

They also like to chew, so if they are free to roam the house, be prepared to end up with torn furniture, chewed table legs, chewed wires etc.

And they also rise with the sun, so don't even think of sleeping in.

Parrots are also social creatures, so they will take you for their flock and will want to bond with you, so if you are the type that likes to be left alone and would rather watch the birds in a cage, you'd be better off getting a goldfish.

And if you're thinking of getting a parrot because it can talk, be prepared that not all parrot learn to speak. The African Grey parrot is renowned as a great talker, but mine hardly says more than 10 words. And not even everyday.

Having said all that, parrots are very affectionate creatures who bond very closely with their masters. They love nothing more than getting their heads scratched by their masters for hours on end.

They are extremely smart and can even unlock their own cages. I lost a cockatiel this way when he learnt how to open his cage and flew away. It's not that he wanted to escape, he just didn't know how to get back home. I've learnt that I have to lock their cages with a padlock when I'm not at home to prevent this from happening again.

They're better than a dog if you live in an apartment because they don't need a huge amount of space, but you do have to let them out of their cages and take them around the house. Unlike a dog, you don't have to take them out for walks in the outdoors.

But if you live in a temperate region, a parrot may not be the best pet. They are tropical birds and love warmth and sunshine. The cold just makes them inactive and they get the sniffles easily.

Before deciding on a parrot, do assess your lifestyle. These are long lived birds who will outlive you. They are noisy and need a lot of attention.

If you work long hours away from home, do reconsider getting one as it may end up lonely for the best part of the day. And when they do, they can get a little pschologically messed up and start feather plucking or self mutilation out of boredom.

Hope this helps. Don't mean to discourage you from getting a parrot, but it's a very big lifestyle decision to make.
Cyberius
The hawk-headed parrot may be loosely called a green parrot because its upperparts are greeen. A moustache parakeet is also a green parrot with a grey head marked with bluish tinge. The eye area is washed with green. The young sun conure has feathers which are predominantly green making it again a green parrot. Amazons, Senegals and others may belong to the green parrot family.

Green parrots are intelligent, affectionate, inquisitive and can be easily trained
bojangles
The African Greys are considered to be one of the most inteligent parrotts of all, and they make the best talkers from what I have heard,
rainmaker
That is true. I read somewhere that some of them have been known to have the intelligence level close to that of a three-year-old human. I believe they are also one of the more introverted birds, and they will not open up to strangers easily. Can anyone substantiate this information? It has been awhile since I last researched this topic.
sparlund
i ha a parrot once it got 25 years old
Sweaty Hat Man
I have what's called a Quaker parrot which I’ve had for 6 years. They are green and grey and can talk almost as well as a macaw. They are very social able. I would recommend one because they are small, and much easier than a macaw because macaws bite hard and are harder to take care of (macaws are messier). But this is just my opinion, I’m no expert.
rainmaker
Quote:
I have what's called a Quaker parrot which I’ve had for 6 years...

I'm just curious, what do you do when you go on vacation and the like? Is it fairly easy to have someone else look after him?

Thank you everyone for the input!

--rainmaker[/quote]
Sweaty Hat Man
It is easy for me because I have a neighbor who is good with animals and can socialize with it. About anyone who is good with animals and is responsible can take care of it (I would recommend an adult). You might also want to get its wings clipped very once in a while so it can't fly out of the house and about. And remember, im not a professional or anything, I just have a bird. So do some research and see for yourself also. let it hang out with you because it will think your its flock, if you don't pay enough attention to it, and by "it" I mean any bird, it may get neurotic. you might want to do a google search.
rainmaker
Thanks for the input!