FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

For the TRUE geek: Core War

Traveller
Just curious: have any of you ever played Core War? I tinkered with it a bit, ages ago, but never at any great length, but I still find the concept to be interesting. Here's how it works:

Two players are "programmers" in a pseudo-language called "Redcode," which is very similar to Assembly code. After the respective programs are written, they are placed into a simulated computer environment (called "MARS"), in which they are executed as though they were two separate programs in separate halves of MARS' memory. The last program running is the winner, and the programs try to do things that would kill the other program or attempt to prevent it from completing (e.g. by overwriting its instruction space with DAT bytes, turning it into data instead of instructions).

You can't get much geekier or esoteric than that, but it is interesting.

Rather than trying to describe everything about it (including strategies, etc.) here, I'll refer you to the wikipedia article about it, and to this site, which includes links to DOS, Windows, UNIX, and Mac versions of MARS.

Have fun!
paulbarter
That sounds very interesting. I heard about something like that before at University. I find it exciting - like the program "Robot Wars", except that you stand back completely and watch your creation battle it out. There is something fun in creating and programming lets you create powerfull things really quickly - its great!