FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you use proper grammar and spelling in your posts?

Do you use correct grammar and spelling in your posts?
I use both correctly
69%
 69%  [ 37 ]
I spell correctly, but don't use grammar properly
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
I use grammar properly, but don't spell correctly
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't do either properly
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 53

ninjakannon
I always use both proper grammar and spelling when I post. Sometimes I even open Microsoft Word, paste in my message and spell check it.

I like to use proper grammar as it can actually be good practice for it, as well as the fact that it makes you look slightly cleverer Razz.
And spelling, well I learn the spellings of some words from spell checking them and realising that I got the spelling wrong (I used to think "around' had two "r"s ("arround")). Also, if u typ lyk ths thn u get less points and FRIH$ for you posts as you use less characters - that also looks quite messy, in my opinion.

So what do you do, and why?
S3nd K3ys
Depends on the post. Some posts are more fun with slang or bad spelling. Most get at least proper punctuation. (Well, as best as I can do without using a reference.)
SpellcasterDX
I use both correctly. When I'm in doubt I open up Microsoft Word and paste my post into there to see if it makes sense and if everything is spelled correctly. Yes, I'm too perfectionist. Laughing
Keran
Ofcoz i alwayz write corectly, my englis is uber good n i alwayz make sure evrything i write has good gramar and speling. I dont use Mikrosoft Word evrytime i write posts though, cuz i know im so good that i can write evrything corectly.
ocalhoun
I do my best to use proper grammar and spelling at all times. (Except rare occurrences when I either A) use 1337 speak to make a point, or B) misspell a word the same way somebody else did for fun. This, however, is because I have a superb grasp of the English language and I am fast at typing. If you took away one of those, I might be tempted to cut corners.

Also, for all you poor souls out there using MS word to spell check before you post, get Firefox 2.0; it has a built in spell-checker.
Traveller
ninjakannon wrote:
Sometimes I even open Microsoft Word, paste in my message and to spell check it.
(Emphasis added.)

It's a pity MS-Word is as good at checking grammar as Windows is at being an operating system. Remember: computer-based spelling checkers must always be verified by the person's having a proper knowledge of grammar and spelling.
Ruckus
I try to use correct spelling and grammar on any post I post to the forums. As for spellcheck, Firefox 2 has a nifty spellcheck built-in so you will catch those spelling mistakes before hitting send.
darvit
I try to use both correctly.

Because we are on the Internet, people are quick to judge others by their words. If you tYpE lYk diSszzz, many people would think that you're a 4 year-old. [OK, so that was an exaggeration, but I'm sure you get my drift. XD ]
Vrythramax
I try to use proper grammer and syntax when posting, but we all make typos occasionally. Sad
The Philosopher Princess
eye neevar lernt two sppeel butt ma bee ayee shoed

(Wink)
ninjakannon
Traveller wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
Sometimes I even open Microsoft Word, paste in my message and to spell check it.
(Emphasis added.)

It's a pity MS-Word is as good at checking grammar as Windows is at being an operating system. Remember: computer-based spelling checkers must always be verified by the person's having a proper knowledge of grammar and spelling.

Heh heh, thanks for pointing that out; I've removed it now.

I'm slightly dyslexic and so I read 'predictively' I just see what I think should be there. Sometimes if I make a mistake I don't notice it when I check through.
Computers only offer a guideline. They are never as good as the person using them (well... rarely). I hope grammar checking on Microsoft Word improves in later editions.
Vrythramax
The Philosopher Princess wrote:

(Wink)

hooked on foniks werkt fer me. Smile
ocalhoun
Vrythramax wrote:

(Wink)

hooked on foniks werkt fer me. Smile

Rolling Eyes
Silliness.
The Philosopher Princess
ninjakannon wrote:
I'm slightly dyslexic and so I read 'predictively' I just see what I think should be there.

Wow! I’m impressed! I have met a few people with dyslexia and none of them write even close to as well as you. That’s a good lesson to us on coping with difficulties in life; sometimes we all need to overcome adversities with special attention.

For the real record, I prefer reading others’, and writing my own, “properly” written text. When people write with all kinds of mistakes, it strikes me that they are probably careless in other areas of their life too; maybe they wear dirty clothes, don’t bathe “enough”, or litter the world throwing their trash directly on the ground. I’m not saying that I know that there is a correlation here; it’s just that I consider dirtinesses of all kinds as a poor reflection on the “dirty people”.

I haven’t gone around Frihost complaining whatsoever about “dirty” writing habits, because that’s just not my style, but since that’s the topic here, I will state that my preference would be that everyone did their best to spell, punctuate, and use grammar well.

Well-written text has less chance of distracting readers from the actual content of the text.
monzoncf
I prefer to have a good spelling and grammar when I was posting in a forum but sometimes I typed it mistakenly because I'm in hurry sometimes.. heheheh.
judelover
ms word is a good choice. but if u depend too much on that things get worse... you never need how to spell correctly. However using a dictionary is better though slower.
glabase
Yeah i use both - fortunately i've had so much grammar at school that i feel i don't need to check it over - one thing I am guilty of, however, is not capitalising certain words (e.g. using i instead of I) (for some reason)... Laughing Very Happy
Daniel15
I usually read over my posts to make sure they make sense (which is why I usually edit my posts afterwards Razz). One thing I really hate is when people use it's instead of its (it's the most annoying thing for me)

Quote:
Sometimes I even open Microsoft Word, paste in my message and spell check it.

I use Opera, so I just right-click the textarea, and chose 'Check Spelling' (it uses the aspell libraries).

Quote:
(I used to think "around' had two "r"s ("arround"))

Sounds like something a pirate would say Razz Arrrrrrrrrrrrround!

Quote:
I hope grammar checking on Microsoft Word improves in later editions.

If you think the current one is bad, you should see older versions Razz. For some school work at the start of this year, I typed this in Word 2000:
Quote:

Administration Section - The administration section is basically like an office section, used by Dr Janson and the secretary to edit patients' records, and enter new records.

It wasn't my best English, but it's still comprehensible. The grammar checker suggested:
Quote:

Dr Janson and the secretary to edit patients' records, and enter new records basically like an office section, use Administration section - The Administration section

Which is completely wrong Razz
Alienz
I try to use correct spelling and grammar at this forum but not on others over the net (instant messenger, forum and etc) Wink
shuicao
correct grammar?
my grammar is poor
saratdear
Yes, I always try to use correct grammar and also correct spelling. But sometimes, mistakes sneak in. Wink Like when I type a "i" for an "I" (example: i am good at grammar)
Vrythramax
saratdear wrote:
Yes, I always try to use correct grammar and also correct spelling. But sometimes, mistakes sneak in. Wink Like when I type a "i" for an "I" (example: i am good at grammar)

I'm pretty sure it's "type an I" (to correct your post) Razz

And your very correct, when typing alot, some mistakes creep in, they may be typos, or grammatical errors.....but they still hound us. (BTW.....I know I'm not supposed to start a sentence with "and") Wink
Traveller
Vrythramax wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's "type an I" (to correct your post) Razz
No: he was correct, since he was quoting his usual mistake, as is clear from the rest of the sentence.

Vrythramax wrote:
And your very correct, when typing alot, some mistakes creep in, they may be typos, or grammatical errors.....but they still hound us. (BTW.....I know I'm not supposed to start a sentence with "and") Wink

Aside from not beginning a sentence with "and," "your" is a possessive personal pronoun, but "you're" is the contraction of "you" and "are." In addition, "alot" is not a word. In order to indicate great frequency, the correct form is "a lot." Smile
Daniel15
Quote:
No: he was correct, since he was quoting his usual mistake, as is clear from the rest of the sentence.

No, he was suggesting that a should have been an Wink

Quote:
"your" is a possessive personal pronoun, but "you're" is the contraction of "you" and "are."

Yeah, I was going to say that Very Happy I hate when people do that (not as much as I hate it's and its, though Razz).
ankur.vatsa
Actually I was used to discussions through chat-clients (yahoo) but ever since I joined Frihost I have tried my best to keep the grammar and spelling under check.

I used to type in a lot of dots on my posts and a few great moderators told me it is wrong to do so. Since then, I visit the rules section often and keep my posts under double check.

My motive is simple, I love Frihost and I do not want to be banned.
mstreet
I really try to, I guess it depends on the post.
woundedhealer
I try to have correct spelling and grammer. I'm dyslexic, so sometimes bad spelling slips in.

I find it difficult to read posts with loads of spelling mistakes or using text-speak, so I don't normally bother with them. I accept that non-English people will have a problem with spelling, and make allowences.
Zubairi
Yes. I use spelling AND grammar properly - that A+ in Language Arts has to be put to use. Some how.
Helios
I have no idea. Laughing
English is my third language, so I (probably) have several mistakes in few posts. Usually, I just type. I don't really have time to "debug" the post Razz
ninjakannon
Helios wrote:
I have no idea. Laughing
English is my third language, so I (probably) have several mistakes in few posts. Usually, I just type. I don't really have time to "debug" the post Razz

From reading that post, I would have had no idea that English wasn't your first language if it hadn't actually said that it wasn't. Razz
What I'm trying to say is that that message was perfect, with no mistakes. Your English is very good; in fact, by the looks of it, better than some people to whom English is the first language.

Wow! I’m impressed! I have met a few people with dyslexia and none of them write even close to as well as you. That’s a good lesson to us on coping with difficulties in life; sometimes we all need to overcome adversities with special attention.

Thank you! Although I'm dyslexic I am, for some reason, rather good at English (as in the subject at school) and also maths. I did my English and English Literature GCSEs in one year instead of the normal two and achieved an A (Eng) and an A* (Eng Lit) - which I am very pleased with.

But I have problems with doing both English and Maths. For a start I read and work out equations pretty slowly. I cannot manage to read faster than three minutes a page (on a typical A5 page). I'm also pretty bad at spelling - although now I know most words that I am likely to use - and my handwriting is appalling. But I get on well enough and don't complain.
Cal_123
I usually use good grammar, but sometimes I rush or am just plain lazy and forget capitols and punctuation Wink Wink
Josso
I attempt to Laughing
TrappedInAPsychosBody
ninjakannon wrote:
I always use both proper grammar and spelling when I post. Sometimes I even open Microsoft Word, paste in my message and spell check it.

I like to use proper grammar as it can actually be good practice for it, as well as the fact that it makes you look slightly cleverer Razz.
And spelling, well I learn the spellings of some words from spell checking them and realising that I got the spelling wrong (I used to think "around' had two "r"s ("arround")). Also, if u typ lyk ths thn u get less points and FRIH$ for you posts as you use less characters - that also looks quite messy, in my opinion.

So what do you do, and why?

I used to use shortcuts and all of that, and had bad grammar but I dont now.
I capitalize and normally wont use bad grammar ((of which that may have been, lol.)) Mostly because I got into the habit of typing correctly and got used to it.
{name here}
I don't always get everything right when I spell, but I try.
Vrythramax
Well.....I have been duly chastised, so my syntax may be off a bit.....but I do try. Wink
Blaster
If you where to read esays of mine you would not see them like I type here. I dont do stuff like lol tis is likez the mostz awsome thing everz i can't wait. But I am not like. Well, today my sister and I where out running the track when a big whale came and hit me.
bdoneck
I do use both correctly. One reason is because it can get me more points per host...I mean... But I seriously get very annoyed wen ppl typ liek dis on da internet and I figure that I can't be the only one that gets annoyed by it. It seems so juvenile to me and extremely lazy that some people can't take the extra .05 seconds to put all of the vowels into a word or type you rather than u. It annoys me that people are that lazy so I stay away from being like that.
bartdou
I can not speak English well enough, so I probably would make some grammer and spelling mistakes for my inability but not intentionality
Rako
I always try to use proper spelling and gamer. There is even a spell check (on my computer at least). But Me fail English last term so I'm not always right.
jylan
Yeah, that's how I usually post, with correct grammar and spelling. If I don't know how to spell a word I'll usually just put it in without checking it though.
reddishblue
Well now I hope I can do both very well now that Firefox corrects my spelling!
vlad777
my grammar is really hugly, lol
Jack_Hammer
I try to spell correctly and to use proper grammar, though neither can always be right.
xkobram
I'm sure that I write with lot of mistakes, because English is not my mature language and sometimes I don't know how to say what I want to say. But I try it and i hate using dictionaries. Especialy I don't like difficult senteces. I don't care about bad spelling (every one understand what i want to say) but grammar is another thing (Not everyone can understand what i want to say)
Srs2388
It really just depends... I usually spell everything right.
I don't always use proper grammar... I still like the word ain't
lol
Hunterseaker
I always try to spell correct,
when I don't know how to spell a word I use a dictionary.
I also try to use the grammar correctly tho my grammar isn't that great so I think I make a lot of grammar mistakes....
Vrythramax
xkobram wrote:
I'm sure that I write with lot of mistakes, because English is not my mature language and sometimes I don't know how to say what I want to say. But I try it and i hate using dictionaries. Especialy I don't like difficult senteces. I don't care about bad spelling (every one understand what i want to say) but grammar is another thing (Not everyone can understand what i want to say)

My daughter could speak and write in 2 languages by age 6, one English the other Russian/Cyrillic.

What's a mature language?
MYP415
I try to, but sometimes if I quickly reply to somehting I may forget something like a comma or period.
william
I use both proper grammar and spelling. The reason is really because I'm use to writing this way, even in IM's. I almost always check my spelling with the built-in spell checker on the Google Toolbar. (The only times I don't is when I'm in hurry).
Inferno619
Yes, I use both. It makes you look good on this board, and probably on other boards you might post at. However, as long as I can understand the post and what the words are, I don't really care.
The Philosopher Princess
Vrythramax wrote:
What's a mature language?

Hmm? Maybe it’s a language that doesn’t take part in childish discussions? I wonder where we would find one of those. Wink

I think xkobram probably meant native language. But the term mature language is kind of interesting, isn’t it? It could stand for a language that doesn’t “allow” mistakes, which might mean it’s very logical, straightforward, consistent, easy to learn, and easy not to make mistakes in. Of course, English is far from that. If such a language existed and were used, then this very topic of discussion would be at least partially moot for it. (The part that’d not be moot is about people who purposefully make mistakes.)

Vrythramax wrote:
My daughter could speak and write in 2 languages by age 6, one English the other Russian/Cyrillic.

Smart Surprised! I took English and Spanish classes for years in school but learned very little. Nope, I had to teach myself language skills after I broke free from the bindings and hindrances of government school one-size-fits-the-dumbest-people “education”.
hlavco
I pretty much post the same way I'd talk. I use proper spelling and grammar, but I still stick a lot of 'gonnas' and 'gottas' in there. Which is how I talk normally.
scandatanta
I try to, but sometimes I type too fast and get words the wrong way round. Also sometimes I don't think properly and get the grammar wrong. I tend to mostly use little punctuation as I'm trying to type too fast.
Vrythramax
scandatanta wrote:
I try to, but sometimes I type too fast and get words the wrong way round. Also sometimes I don't think properly and get the grammar wrong. I tend to mostly use little punctuation as I'm trying to type too fast.

Nicely said!

And Thank you Princess. Smile
Kaisonic
Definitely. I think that if we don't use proper grammar and english in our online posts, why did we bother learning them? The internet is becoming one of the main ways humans communicate, and if we throw all of our language learning away for the sake of quick typing and simplicity, we'll lose english altogether. I ESPECIALLY don't like the shortcuts for words, like ne1, u, etc. They just show laziness and lack of respect for the language you took years to learn. Plus, in my eyes, proper grammar and spelling just look better:

dud we should go 2 teh mall 2day u and me?

Dude, we should go to the mall today, just you and me?

See? It just looks better. Plus, for a person like me (PERFECT MLA formatting on ALL of my papers) it just comes naturally to type grammatically correct sentences. I struggled when writing that first sentence up there. Seriously.
ThornsOfSorrow
I can't say that I check my posts for spelling and grammar errors, but I do attempt to speak and type correctly. I'm the type of person who uses capitals and punctuation on AIM, and who uses the word "whom" in spoken conversation. Also, one of my pet peeves is when people say that they "don't feel good" or that they "did good on a test". Is it really that difficult to replace "good" with "well"?

Of course, everyone makes mistakes, especially when typing quickly, so I sometimes mix up my words. However, I do make an effort not to sound completely uneducated, as it isn't fair to make people decipher a post due to an overabundance of spelling and grammar errors.

EDIT: I just remembered that, in school, I refused to read Huck Finn because of the way it was written. That's how much incorrect grammar bothers me.
Vrythramax
@ThornsOfSorrow

A perfectionist....I can relate....but like I said....errors do creep in.

on a personal note......Hi Girl Smile
nardz
for me it's just a matter of whether i can be bothered making use of firefox's new spell check feature Wink
Vrythramax
nardz wrote:
for me it's just a matter of whether i can be bothered making use of firefox's new spell check feature Wink

Exactly....it comes down to a matter of checking what you type...some are lazy and use shortcuts, others try.
jon9314
i try to Smile
mathiaus
I'm usually rather busy doing several other things at the same time. As a result of this, I type quickly and make lots of mistakes. I usually preview things and have a quick scan for grammatical errors and correct any I find. Firefox now takes care of most of my spelling errors which are easily corrected. Smile
One of my down points I think, is my use of smilies to end sentences, rather than a full stop. (Note I deliberately used one above Razz )
Vrythramax
jon9314 wrote:
i try to Smile

EEK!....SPAM!

Razz
Keran
It seems there are a lot of intelligent people arround here that know how to write...
You all make me feel even dumber then i am ;p
Vrythramax
Keran wrote:
It seems there are a lot of intelligent people arround here that know how to write...
You all make me feel even dumber then i am ;p

Oh jeez.....you aren't dumb. We just try hard to make ourselves look good. Sad
Daniel15
Quote:
One of my down points I think, is my use of smilies to end sentences, rather than a full stop.

I do the same thing...
But I'm not sure of what to do, really. If you end a sentence with a smilie, does the full stop go after the smilie, or before it?

Like this: This is going to be a sentence Razz.
Or like this: This is going to be a sentence. Razz

?
Nameless
I try and use gramar and spelling well good. Laughing

More so now that I use Firefox (spell checking functionality FTW!)
bigdan
I attempt to use the correct spelling and grammar in every forum I visit. I hate leet-speek and txt language and related junk. It's annoying.
k-tracker
heeloo Very Happy Very Happy

I try to watch on my grammar eand spelling but it's a quite difficult
sometimes i write a hole A4 paper en than i see verry mutch wrong words but i don't want to change because it's to mutch time !!!!!!!! and it's boring but only for my stie there is always watch if the grammar and spelling is okay!!! Very Happy Very Happy
caroline
I try to use proper spelling and grammar in my posts, but I don't also succeed. For instance when I type too fast I sometimes skip over letters and mess up Smile. Mozilla spell checker has saved me several times though...
sorenity2
it just comes natural....spelling...grammer..forget it! I don't pay attention
mathiaus
Daniel15 wrote:
mathiaus wrote:
One of my down points I think, is my use of smilies to end sentences, rather than a full stop.

I do the same thing...
But I'm not sure of what to do, really. If you end a sentence with a smilie, does the full stop go after the smilie, or before it?

?

I don't have a clue. As far as I'm aware there is no 'official'/'Correct' method to reference. Maybe we should create one Razz (just done it!)
ninjakannon
mathiaus wrote:
Daniel15 wrote:
mathiaus wrote:

I do the same thing...

?

I don't have a clue. As far as I'm aware there is no 'official'/'Correct' method to reference. Maybe we should create one Razz (just done it!)

I don't know for certain; however I'm pretty sure that you don't put the full stop after the smilie (I prefer to call them emoticons... although I HATE the word). If you think about it, the smilie / emoticon is not really part of the sentence if it's placed at the end - it's more like a way of showing your feelings / attitude to the subject of the sentence. So I would assume that you put the smilie / emoticon after the full stop.

But of course I might be wrong. Any other thoughts on this?
Temra
When it comes to forums, I have always tried to use proper grammar and spelling. I have found that it is much easier to use than chat-speak. It also makes it so you seem way more intelligent and people respect you for it more. It also helps me to put the point of my post across, and so people understand what I am trying to say. Usually with chat-seapk, it is very hard to understand what someone is trying to say, so yeah. I usually don't go to the effort where I run all of my posts through word though, I feel that it just wastes time, so every now and then I might make a typo or a grammatical error, but its not really that often.
The Philosopher Princess
mathiaus wrote:
Daniel15 wrote:

?

Smilies inside the punctuation and smilies outside are both needed, depending on intention. Here are 2 simple examples:

Arrow [inside] For the life of me, I couldn’t find the elephant food Sad! But just as I flopped from exhaustion, a plane flew by, and out dropped a gigantic bag of parachuted peanuts on my lawn right next to me Very Happy! After I ate and ate (Wink) till I had to stop I was so peanuty, I gave the rest of the bag to Wrinkles, who was then in Pachyderm Heaven Angel!

Arrow [outside] First, I got a nice present of triple-chocolate pastries. Then I was amazed to receive a present of triple-decker chess. But then I was really flabbergasted to be presented with triple trailers full of philosophy and science books! Dancing
Jazradem
I try, but for some reason I can't spell certain words. Opening Microsoft Word is not worth the effort just for checking a word like realize (even if I just did it).
mathiaus
Arrow [inside] For the life of me, I couldn’t find the elephant food Sad! But just as I flopped from exhaustion, a plane flew by, and out dropped a gigantic bag of parachuted peanuts on my lawn right next to me Very Happy! After I ate and ate (Wink) till I had to stop I was so peanuty, I gave the rest of the bag to Wrinkles, who was then in Pachyderm Heaven Angel!

Arrow [outside] First, I got a nice present of triple-chocolate pastries. Then I was amazed to receive a present of triple-decker chess. But then I was really flabbergasted to be presented with triple trailers full of philosophy and science books! Dancing

I'm still lost. Sad I think I'll just do them all outside.
Davidgr1200
Whether I do or not is for others to judge, but I try. I always read what I have written at least once. After all, if I write something which is incomprehensible then there was no point in writing it in the first place (unless I was just trying to get extra points). The new version of Firefox helps a lot with its spelling check.
dac_nip
I guess its just ethical to post in correct grammar and spelling. Making your post readable is a sign of respect to your readers. Besides, its always advantageous to use correct grammar in every piece of writing.
arjay
Posts written using correct spelling and grammar will always stand out from posts written effortlessly, carelessly, and stubbornly. I still believe ‘a post badly written is a post undone’. Smile

How do you expect posts, done carelessly and stubbornly, to attract intelligent readers? Maybe, before we hit that ‘Submit’ button , we need to be clear about the immediate intention of our posts. Do we submit posts just to get Frih$ points OR because we want to reach across the minds of the quality posters and the majority, thus generate quality responses, too? Isn’t it that the battle cry of Frihost Forum, that makes it unique and superior from other fora, is ‘quality posts’? Smile

We may have varied topics of interests, but there is a common factor in effectively delivering our contributions. We need to exert efforts to make our posts ‘look good’ grammatically in order for us not to waste precious time of others that, by chance, may find interest in reading our posts. Besides, quality posts include proper language composition, right? Smile

‘Nobody is perfect’, the old cliche goes – but, I still believe grammar and spelling can be made properly and perfectly. If we put this in mind, then at least we can minimize the incorrect entries we have been ‘used to’ ignoring. Smile

In order for one to deliver the best in grammar and spelling, one must attempt perfection. Having said that, yours truly does not imply that posts with typos are less relevant and important because, as humans as we are, we are still fallible. Smile
The Philosopher Princess
@ mathiaus

Smilies Smile, Shmilies Evil or Very Mad! What about my CCoolCoolL triple elephant examples written and rainboxed just for you!?

Even ocalhoun had the courtesy to properly roll his eyes at me when he caught me garbling with a cohort Exclamation

(I’m totally kidding about the attitude. Nothing on Frihost ever makes me mad.)

mathiaus wrote:
I'm still lost. Sad I think I'll just do them all outside.

Well given that youre lost Id like if its possible that is to find you Which looks more correct this text or the other one ,’Sad,’--’,--Smile.,Wink?

Well, given that you’re lost Sad, I’d like -- if it’s possible, that is -- to find you Smile. Which looks more correct, this text or the other one Wink?

Sometimes punctuation fits at the end, but you wouldn’t always put it at the end, would you? Just like there is underwear and outerwear, there are inside smilies and outside smilies. It all depends on their purposes in life. Very Happy (Well, towards where else would you expect a philosopher to be leading? Wink)
arkebuzer
I try to write in proper English with good grammar. If I´m not sure of a word I quite often check it up on the internet just to make sure.
A post written with poor grammar and vocabulary just makes a bad impression.
I also try to keep out slang as much as possible, just to make my posts easier to understand. (and make a more serious impression)
eliasr
well, i use the real words , instead of u for you and 4 for for or a (sk language )

i try to do both corectly, but well, stuff like i

in my contry i dont have to use big I , so i also wtite i as small in here, as you see.

it's simple , because you understand it, but the most of the grammar and spelling do i have correct
snowboardude
i generally try to use proper words and punctuation. don't bother with the capitals, and frequently forget apostrophes.

but generally, it makes for a more sophisticated image.
jt32470
you can get the spell check extension for Firefox...It spell checks on the fly, and underlines anything it believes to be misspelled. Works on forms, and any type of text input. As far as grammar,nothing yet out there as far as i know.
the-geek
english is not my mother tounge and i dont really use english anywhere other than net/mail. i try to correct both the grammar and spelling as best as possible but (someone has already said) its acctually depends on the person. .. i dont really use word or any other software to check/verify my spelling or grammar. to me, i focus more to clear the subject because like me there are more than 50% net browser/users are from non-english speaking countries. hope you got the point Idea
paakslive
As far as humainly possable, i is tryings not to speeks like this. But proper grammar and spelling is something i strive to. I still make mistakes, and do make typos, but i try to correct them, and better myself. I usually see when a word is spelled wrong, but then I have no idea what the correct spelling is ... I hate it when that happens...
Wynand
I always try to use proper spelling and grammar in posts. That is the proper spellings and grammar rules that I am aware of. I am not an English-speaking person so sometimes I use funny words and sentences.

In addition, I always run a spelling check on my posts before they are posts. I think that is the least that everybody can do to improve the quality of your posts.

Your post resembles you so make the most of it.
jairon
At really i'm a brazilian.. and have studied english at school... i'm so bad in english... =( but i've tried a lot to make me understand... if u dont understand me please pm and i'll try to explain me better...
Or maybe translate my post to Portuguese( my language) or Spanish... i know a little...
erlendhg
I try as best as I can to both spell correctly, and use proper grammar, though I am from Norway so it might be errors some times Razz
Vrythramax
The only problem I have with spellcheckers is that when they are attatched to any program I am using to do any coding or scripting....they freak out over the code....not recognizable words....so I tend to simply pay attention to what I write instead of relying on them (Spellcheckers that is). I know I make mistakes, but it's more due to bad typing skills than a lack of interest in getting my point across properly.
Vladalf
I really try to spell and write correctly. I don't use any spellchecker, but I have English Lessons. Very Happy
Montressor
First, the smiley thing, sometimes I view smilies as actually being punctuation, not something that requires punctuation afterwards. After all, an exclamation mark denotes a certain tone or feeling, why not a smiling face? And yes, just as you can combine multiple and varied punctuation marks to further express your multiple and varied feelings, you can combine smilies and other forms of punctuation together to more accurately portray those feelings Wink
Next, the association between caring and correct grammar and spelling (pertaining only to those who speak/write English fluently), I do feel that attempting to make your message as neat as possible reflects on a higher degree of respect for the topic and fellow posters, but must admit that I don't always put a tie on to post...
I do however use Firefox (which does have an automatic spell checker now built in), and probably have an easier time checking my spelling.
Also I hold those who post in a language that is not their native language in high regard for their bravery and the courage they demonstrate by placing their opinions out in a foreign tongue for us to nit pick about on grammar and spelling, while ignoring their opinion.
The Philosopher Princess
Vrythramax wrote:
The only problem I have with spellcheckers is that when they are attatched to any program I am using to do any coding or scripting....they freak out over the code....not recognizable words....so I tend to simply pay attention to what I write instead of relying on them (Spellcheckers that is).

Yes, there should be an easier way to mark text not to be checked. Some programs, like Word, do have a do-not-check marking feature, but it’s cumbersome to use, and not robust after you have used it. I want a simple select-text-then-one-click operation. But you also need to be able to quickly tell what was previously marked. I think eventually the programs will catch up with what the public of users need and want.
The-Master
I love google toolbar and firefox. They do this for me! I do have a good knowledge of English though so I do use it correctly mostly!
yaashop
For me I do not care that much. I'm an ESL teacher and teaching writing but it does not mean that I have to correct my own writing and other's right? XD I'm just a post anyway. ofcourse I'm not a native speaker but I just think if my sentence is make sense it should be good enough. but sometimes before I finish typing I will do a small proofread to make sure i dont make any minor mistake with my post but anyway there are still some other mistakes that I might did not see. so for me grammar and spelling is not that important for my forum posting ^^
Vrythramax
yaashop wrote:
For me I do not care that much. I'm an ESL teacher and teaching writing but it does not mean that I have to correct my own writing and other's right? XD I'm just a post anyway. ofcourse I'm not a native speaker but I just think if my sentence is make sense it should be good enough. but sometimes before I finish typing I will do a small proofread to make sure i dont make any minor mistake with my post but anyway there are still some other mistakes that I might did not see. so for me grammar and spelling is not that important for my forum posting ^^

Very true, and I agree....I think it's the lazy people we are focusing on...your posts are clear, well defined, and very easy to read. Since english is not your primary language you deserve kudos for your effort. Smile

Thank You.
CMA
English isn't my main language (I'm Portuguese), so there might be some grammar mistakes from time to time whenever I write. I'm confident in my English skills, but not so much as to say I'm perfect.

As for "l33t pwnz0r" speak and "i b smart 'n u b stoopid lolol" speak, I avoid them like the plague. Seriously, while I may tolerate the former, the overly abreviated and mispelled kind of speech gets on my nerves. I do use "lol", but that's it.

Basically, I like to keep it clean and understandable as much as possible.