FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Forums in Hosting

mogchr
I would like to know why IPB forums and VBulliten forums are strictly prohibited from use. I don't see the harm in using them, and I think that they would be a major help for many users. For example, I was thinking of setting up a forum, but now I am not sure if I am allowed because of the rule. Can somebody please explain to me why I cannot?
SlowWalkere
You can use bulletin board scripts on your website, you just cannot use IBP and vbulletin. These are both commercial scripts and in order to legally use them you need to purchase a license. If frihost allows those scripts to be used, and it turns out they are unlicensed, frihost is legally liable for copyright infringement. It's easier to ban the boards altogether than go through the trouble of trying to verify each license.

You are definitely allowed to set up a forum, though. You just need to use an open license or free script. There are a few out there, but I think the most popular is phpBB. The forum that frihost uses (the one we are talking on right now) is powered by phpBB. It's free, easy to set up, customizable. I think it would probably meet your forum needs.

Even if frihost were to allow commercial forum scripts to be used, why would you want to use that when you can use a free script that us just as good?

- Walkere
kamoe_x
SlowWalkere wrote:
You can use bulletin board scripts on your website, you just cannot use IBP and vbulletin. These are both commercial scripts and in order to legally use them you need to purchase a license. If frihost allows those scripts to be used, and it turns out they are unlicensed, frihost is legally liable for copyright infringement. It's easier to ban the boards altogether than go through the trouble of trying to verify each license.

You are definitely allowed to set up a forum, though. You just need to use an open license or free script. There are a few out there, but I think the most popular is phpBB. The forum that frihost uses (the one we are talking on right now) is powered by phpBB. It's free, easy to set up, customizable. I think it would probably meet your forum needs.

Even if frihost were to allow commercial forum scripts to be used, why would you want to use that when you can use a free script that us just as good?

- Walkere

Yeah! I absoulutely agree...

I guess its fun using and modifing an open source codes.
mathiaus
SlowWalkere wrote:

Looks like someone has actually searched properly and a s a result found the answer Very Happy
-close-