FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Holographic Versatile Disc

Josso
voodeedoo.org wrote:
With the capacity to hold up to 3.9 TB of information, this is a disc that is not to be fooled around with.

Current optical storage saves one bit per pulse, and the HVD alliance hopes to improve this efficiency with capabilities of around 60,000 bits per pulse in an inverted, truncated cone shape that has a 200 micrometer diameter at the bottom and a 500 micrometer diameter at the top. High densities are possible by moving these closer on the tracks: 100 GB at 18 micrometers separation, 200 GB at 13 micrometers, 500 GB at 8 micrometers and a demonstrated maximum of 3.9 TB for 3 micrometer separation on a 12 cm disc.

At 15 meter resolution and 32-bit color (about the resolution found in unpopulated areas on Google Earth), a map of the land masses of Earth would occupy just over 2 TB. Using MPEG4 ASP encoding, a 3.9 TB HVD could hold between 4,600–11,900 hours of video—just over one year of uninterrupted video at usual encoding rates. Using typical satellite radio encoding (CT-aacPlus at 40 kbps), a 3.9 TB HVD could hold over 26.5 years of uninterrupted stereo audio.

The transfer rate is at an average of 1 gigabit/second, or 128 megabytes/second, around 6 times the transfer rate for current 16x DVD storage.

This is far-off future stuff. By 2010, a single disc will cost about US$100, a player currently costs around $15,000USD.

Source:
http://www.voodeedoo.org/index.php?topic=44.0

Looking forward to this kind of storage on a disc Shocked
Panthrowzay
PRAISE THE GODS OF ALL IS |_33T and techy!

that is alsome!
thats more that all my computers harddisk combined!
that is really good technology, im not sure why we didnt start on the blue end tho
Vrythramax
Panthrowzay wrote:
PRAISE THE GODS OF ALL IS |_33T and techy!

that is alsome!
thats more that all my computers harddisk combined!
that is really good technology, im not sure why we didnt start on the blue end tho

ummmm....you have to post more if you want to sell your sig/adspace.

Either change your sig/adverisment.....or work at it.
hack_man_

What on earth would you do with all that space?!?!?!?!
LovE-RicH
hack_man_ wrote:

What on earth would you do with all that space?!?!?!?!

Having hundreds of HDTV films on one disc, how cool is that?Smile
Scorpio
And imagine what would happen with a single scratch on such a disc...

You'll probably end up losing many GBs of data in one shot..

Since the data packing is very close to one another.. One scratch would lead to too many problems.

It would be a bit difficult to keep that disc safe.
And also, if things are not organized well, it would be almost impossible to find something in that disc.

But I must say 100$ is a real deal.. You can hardly buy 2 80GB HDDs now a days for that amount.
jon9314
wow how cool is that!!! to rich for my blood. my children will probly have it when they ar adults at similar costs as dvd's are for us
LovE-RicH
scorpio wrote:

Since the data packing is very close to one another.. One scratch would lead to too many problems.

Maybe they'll put a diamond coat around it.Smile
Hogwarts
LovE-RicH wrote:

That really, really, really would not help with the price though Razz

--

If you had that much space on one disk you'd just leave it in whatever records on/reads it... Wouldn't run out that quickly... Or would you?
Yazz
Awesome advancement.

Maybe if they made the disc totally redesigned into a cylindrical funnel, it'd be perfect. Or maybe into a test-tube like shape. That way the outer shell would protect from any scratches and all the data would be stored on the inside. Diamond coating would be awesome, but it'd be way too expensive, despite our ability to make diamonds ourselves now through highly pressurized lead. They aren't a whole bunch cheaper because of the process to make them, and they're never as good as real diamonds. But it would work out if the shape of these new discs is what enables it to store so goddamn much. Imagine ever having to close a Disc session on one of these babies? Goddamn, you wouldn't close it till you're dead, cause there'll always be way more room on it than you can ever use up in a life time. Well... personally, anyways. They should incorporate this technology into hard drives if they can. Speed up optical hard drives and woo, we're in the future!
LovE-RicH
They really do have to come up with a new shape, that doesn't have the writeable part 100% exposed.
R2.DETARD
There is no way we could ever invent any storage device that can hold enough data for a lifetime. Data sizes increase as technology advances, such as the change from mono to stereo to 5.1 surround and soon to 360º surround, each increases the file size dramatically.
So every few years, the size of the files you want to store will catch up to the amount of space you have to store them on.

Yazz wrote:
our ability to make diamonds ourselves now through highly pressurized lead.

It's actually highly pressurized carbon (in graphite form) but who's counting?
TruPain
That is a lot of storage space... for a lot of cash!

$100 per disc... could you imagine how mad you would be if you were burning and an error occured that made the entire disc unreadable... I would be beyond angry at that point...

Personally though, at the rate that tecnology is improving, I do not see this to be far off in the future.. nor do I see that cost being reasonable.. I imagine it will be much lower... maybe a 10th of what that says... 10 per disc and 1500 per player... well... at least when it hits the consumers side of things...
Josso
I think, in a way that we should go back to cartridges. I mean to be fair they were about 99% protected and look at the small technology used in memory sticks. The chips for the 2GB slots in them if you look through the see through bit is only about the size of your fingernail... about the same width and length. Infact most of the size in memory sticks is the USB interface as far as I can see. Make a slightly bigger PC cartridge slot (universal size) and that might be the way forward. I can see some serious disadvantages with continuing with discs.
Yazz
R2.DETARD wrote:
There is no way we could ever invent any storage device that can hold enough data for a lifetime. Data sizes increase as technology advances, such as the change from mono to stereo to 5.1 surround and soon to 360º surround, each increases the file size dramatically.
So every few years, the size of the files you want to store will catch up to the amount of space you have to store them on.

Yazz wrote:
our ability to make diamonds ourselves now through highly pressurized lead.

It's actually highly pressurized carbon (in graphite form) but who's counting?

I agree with the advancements of tech leading to larger file sizes, but there are severe limits on how much extra data we can add to files and seemingly endless possibilities on how to add more data storage. BUT ONLY SEEMINGLY.

As for highly pressurized carbon, that's what I meant... Embarassed

It's just that when I say lead, I mean graphite. It's those damn pencils and the terminology. "Have any 0.7 lead?" "Nope, but I sure do have some 0.7 graphite"
RhysAndrews
Very nice. But... it won't be a household-name like DVD for years, so i'm not exactly excited. In fact, if I needed to store so much information somewhere portable, i'm happy with my 1T portable hard-drive. Nobody needs that much space in one spot... yet.

-Rhys
Vrythramax
RhysAndrews wrote:
Very nice. But... it won't be a household-name like DVD for years, so i'm not exactly excited. In fact, if I needed to store so much information somewhere portable, i'm happy with my 1T portable hard-drive. Nobody needs that much space in one spot... yet.

-Rhys

I heard that. Smile

Nice to see you.
rhathar
Heh. Wouldn't it suck if it wasn't rewritable?

But seriously, I'd get one as soon as I could get a writer for less than $1000.
The Master DCK
Hogwarts wrote:
LovE-RicH wrote:

That really, really, really would not help with the price though Razz

--

If you had that much space on one disk you'd just leave it in whatever records on/reads it... Wouldn't run out that quickly... Or would you?

well actually a industrial diamond would be perfect for that kinda thing
sponge
I think that disk is more expensive when released. But It has a advantage and disadvantage.

Advantage:

1. Large storage capacity
2. Large File archives in one

Disadvantage:

1. A single scratch will erase all your data.
2. More expensive (I think...)

I've better go with cheap DVD disk than to buy this kind of Tera byte Disk.
achowles
Shocked Okay, no shortage of space there then. I don't know how they intend to protect the disk, but I get ****ed off when I have to throw away a DVD-RW along with all the info on that.

Then again, I doubt that one of those disks would ever need leave the drive.

I doubt that this technology will take off unless they can apply it practically to a given role. There is plenty more great prototype hardware that hit the scrapheap due to lack of investors.
hack_man_
Is it just me or is technology advancing too quickly? BluRay isn't even on the shelves in most of the world yet and it has already been rendered obsolete within a couple of months! I predict a major IT breakdown, everything will fall to pieces because nothing will be uniform and compatible any more, as Moore's Law predicts.
hack_man_
Is it just me or is technology advancing too quickly? BluRay isn't even on the shelves in most of the world yet and it has already been rendered obsolete within a couple of months! I predict a major IT breakdown, everything will fall to pieces because nothing will be uniform and compatible any more, as Moore's Law predicts.
CyanEyed
woah, hell of a lot of storage there. as for the comment about leaving the computer, optical drives are slower that SATA HD's thus using it as a HD would be pointless, ut if they sped that up as well, Very Happy HD's would be rendered obsolete
arkebuzer
scorpio wrote:

And also, if things are not organized well, it would be almost impossible to find something in that disc.

But I must say 100$ is a real deal.. You can hardly buy 2 80GB HDDs now a days for that amount.

Yeah, such a scary thought.
Huge hard drives are great for storage, but when they crash you loose so extremely much data.
When a 200Gb disk breaks I get mad... what about loosing allmost 4Tb of movies or mp3... that would hurt :S